Picasso throttle cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Picasso throttle cable

Post by RichardW »

It should have a metal clip on it. Your method looks fine!
Richard W
Ttwlr

Post by Ttwlr »

Wonder where mine went, what’s the clip look like ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
xsara2002hdi
My Cars: citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi 2002

Post by xsara2002hdi »

my accelerator pedal is a little slack - can pull it up about an inch. where is the adjustment part located? also, would the slackness affect the idle speed when engine is warm? for example, when stopping at traffic lights the engine will slowly return to idle. if I press the accelerator, the engine will stay in high revs and slowly come down. the throttle becomes less responsive when stationery but drives fine. would cleaning the throttle inlet butterfly help. could it be the idle control valve? thx
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

The slow dropping to idle that you mention most likely results from the slack in the cable. I always find the exact same thing with mine when the cable gets slack (can't think why slack cable would cause this, but it does) - changing gear becomes jerky because the engine revs dont drop quickly enough. Could also be a bit of friction between the relatively movable parts of the throttle pot, which a quick squirt of WD40 at the same time as adjusting cable slack will solve.

Assuming yours is in the same place as my C5, it is right hand side of engine bay behind airbox/under electronics tray. On my C5 it is just about possible to access without removing anything, but removing airbox and nudging electronics tray to one side makes life easier.

To remove slack in cable pull out the clip (as shown below) and move it until the pedal position is where you want it - you probably don't want to adjust it so much that the throttle pedal is at the very top of its trave. Make sure that when the throttle pedal is at its fullest travel, i.e. touching the floor, the movable part of the throttle body is either not yet at, or better still just on, its stop - i.e. don't take so much slack out that the movable part of the throttle pot hits its stop before the pedal hits the floor. I tend to have to adjust mine every 6 months or so.

Don't bother messing about with the throttle inlet butterfly (not even sure if that engine has one) until you have adjusted the cable slack, as that is more likely the issue.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
xsara2002hdi
My Cars: citroen xsara picasso 2.0 hdi 2002

Post by xsara2002hdi »

Thx for the advice. My car is a xsara Picasso, just a case of finding the right bit to adjust.