New C5 Owner with a big problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: New C5 Owner with a big problem

Post by Gibbo2286 »

picassodad wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 10:09 Contact: Contact Nimbitt
Unread post by Nimbitt » Yesterday, 17:44

moizeau wrote: ↑Yesterday, 17:42
Any warranty with the sale?
Afraid not. Was under time pressure when I bought it. Stupid me.

i hope you have the "sales" paperwork and the advert!!

Hey Pete, it was purchased from a private dealer. I'll check the VIN. dealer, so must by law give a guarantee/warranty, so check with CAB, unless you only paid £10 for it, which I doubt.

They must have check the oil level at some point so must have used the dip stick, so they know it was broken??

judge rinder ...........

hope all goes well for you.
That's not possible he's either private or a dealer, can't be both.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

picassodad wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 10:09
i hope you have the "sales" paperwork and the advert!!

Hey Pete, it was purchased from a private dealer. I'll check the VIN. dealer, so must by law give a guarantee/warranty, so check with CAB, unless you only paid £10 for it, which I doubt.
It sounds though like the potentially serious problem of the car smoking was likely caused by the OP overfilling the engine oil, which the dealer cannot be blamed for. Its unclear what exactly you are suggesting the dealer should guarantee or warrant. Suggesting that you might sue somebody for the cost of a dipstick is fanciful, and the sort of legal advice you get from CAB is likely to be worth precisely what you paid for it.

If it was me I would be replacing the dipstick and ensuring the oil level is correct before driving it any further. The "check engine oil level" alert is notoriously unreliable, and if the oil level was previously correct 1.2l is potentially a significant overfill.

The various error messages now displayed are likely to be red herrings, and given that the smoke has now cleared you may be lucky and just have had a bit of excess oil chucked into the inlet without lasting damage, but I wouldn't push your luck and continue driving it until you have sorted the oil level.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

Was the buyer told the dip stick was broken?? did the buyer dip the oil in the presence of the seller??

must be as described........so was the broken dip stick mentioned?

would you sell a car with a broken dip stick?

would you inform the buyer that the dip stick was broken?

dash alarm saying engine is overfull??
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

picassodad wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 11:29 Was the buyer told the dip stick was broken?? did the buyer dip the oil in the presence of the seller??

must be as described........so was the broken dip stick mentioned?

would you sell a car with a broken dip stick?

would you inform the buyer that the dip stick was broken?

dash alarm saying engine is overfull??
Would you know? The damned thing's ends fall off and you might not even notice, certainly wouldn't expect it unless you're familiar with the problem.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

Would you know? The damned thing's ends fall off and you might not even notice, certainly wouldn't expect it unless you're familiar with the problem.

really??

if i was to sell a car i would at least dip the engine oil, and do all under bonnet checks, and tyre pressures etc., etc., etc...........you wouldn't ???
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

picassodad wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 12:16 Would you know? The damned thing's ends fall off and you might not even notice, certainly wouldn't expect it unless you're familiar with the problem.

really??

if i was to sell a car i would at least dip the engine oil, and do all under bonnet checks, and tyre pressures etc., etc., etc...........you wouldn't ???
I would but I'm a trader, there's a bit of doubt about if this seller is.
Nimbitt
My Cars: Citroen C5 Exclusive 2019 2.0 Diesel Automatic

Post by Nimbitt »

As everyone has been so helpful, I thought I would keep you in the loop and update you. The Citroen garage has checked the car and doesn't feel there are any major issues, however they do need to road test it before knowing for sure. They are waiting on a replacement dipstick which should be here tomorrow.

I'll have to wait until then to provide any further updates. I wasn't told the stick was broken and didn't think to check it. So far the bill is £287 all in with the new stick and diagnostic checks!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Nimbitt wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 14:56 As everyone has been so helpful, I thought I would keep you in the loop and update you. The Citroen garage has checked the car and doesn't feel there are any major issues, however they do need to road test it before knowing for sure. They are waiting on a replacement dipstick which should be here tomorrow.

I'll have to wait until then to provide any further updates. I wasn't told the stick was broken and didn't think to check it. So far the bill is £287 all in with the new stick and diagnostic checks!
Ouch!!! :( Buy in haste..... :cry: In the long run you will have a nice car!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Nimbitt

Post by Nimbitt »

That's the problem. New job, no car, panic. I've gotten off lightly since I only spent two days searching for a car.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 23:24 However I can add that as a first time Citroen owner be aware that most single faults tend to bring up multiple errors and numerous warning lights. Hence once you find the actual problem, cure it and reset the codes all will be well.
Absolutely this!
Unfortunately, the on screen messages are always the 'big scary' ones and from multiple systems, regardless of what the actual fault is (and how minor).

Even just running out of fuel (I've done it twice, because the fuel gauge went faulty) brings up all the big scary messages; Anti pollution fault, ABS, ESP, etc.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Nimbitt

Post by Nimbitt »

Finally have my beautiful car back :) One replacement dipstick, oil filter and some message resets and she drives perfect again. Thank you all for your help and advice.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Great news, now you can enjoy the ride!! Stay involved with the forum, its good fun and, as you know, very helpful when you need it! =D>
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Nimbitt

Post by Nimbitt »

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 09:50 Great news, now you can enjoy the ride!! Stay involved with the forum, its good fun and, as you know, very helpful when you need it! =D>
I certainly will do. Next I want to fit some upgrades to make my travel more fun. I think a media system next :)