non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

killer
My Cars: 06 xsara Picasso 1.6hdi

non starter

Post by killer »

hi all, my first post so please be kind and helpful, I have an 06 plate xsara picasso 1.6 hdi last week I went to open the car with my fob and the battery light came on, thought it was odd, went to start it, all the lights and everything came on as normal, but would not start, it did not even turn over, as was going on holiday left it at that, came back yesterday still the same symptoms apart from battery light not coming on. googled symptoms which recommended unplugging battery for about 15 mins, done this connected battery and hey presto it worked, thought all was good kept locking and unlocking car turning it over and everything seemed ok. went out before same symptoms again apart from no battery light, have disconnected battery again and waiting, also checked the maxi fuses as read that this can be a culprit but all seem good. Help any ideas welcome, will be ringing RAC tomorrow
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: non starter

Post by white exec »

First suspect is poor battery connections, possibly unable to cope with the heavy current of starting, until you disturbed them. If original lead.(Pb) crimped-on lumps, replace them with new brass ones. If either connector gets at all warm when trying to crank, it indicates some unwanted resistance there.
Chris
killer

Post by killer »

Hi thanks Chris the connections look good as mentioned car not cranking have not felt for any heat. Just strange one moment everything ok then this. Prior to this happening done alm checks for long journey oil water tyres etc and filled with diesel. Had a service 4 weeks ago changed front discs and pads oil etc.
killer

Post by killer »

Done same restart procedure this morning started first turn of the key. Confused or what. In for mot tomorrow will get them to check it out. Not bothering with rac. Would still like some suggestions.
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Can be a bit of a pain tracking this down, particularly as it is intermittent.
Somewhere there is a poor or corroded connection.

When starter motor fails to turn, does the car's interior light when on (for example) go very dim or extinguish?
Can you hear a click/clunk when this happens?
Both of those point towards either battery (or battery connector) problems, or a problem with the starter motor or its solenoid.
Also check out the heavy-duty earth cable linking engine to body, and body to batt–, for clean and tight connections.

If no click when key is turned, and interior light stays bright, IGN switch itself may be faulty, and is not supplying adequate power (can be up to 25A) to the starter motor solenoid.

A test of starter motor and its solenoid can be done by momentarily connecting a cable (at least 1.5mm²) - with IGN switched off - from batt+ to the small terminal on the starter solenoid*. As soon as power is supplied, starter motor should operate normally. If it does, suspect the IGN sw. If it doesn't turn, or is intermittent, suspect the starter motor/solenoid.
* For safety, make this connection at the solenoid first, then touch other end to batt+.
Chris
killer

Post by killer »

hi, thanks for that white exec, not noticed the lights dimming, when turning the key I can here a click noise like a relay? as I say taking car for mot tomorrow (if starts) will get them to look for anything, if ignition switch is it an easy job.
cheers
killer

Post by killer »

Been on garage diagnostic machine. No errors coming up. Battery charging as it should. The only explanation they could give is its bloody French cant argue with that
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

If showing no faults, then Sod's law is operating, and the intermittent connection is obviously intact for the moment.
If the click noise you can you hear when you turn the key (to start position) is a solid one (as opposed to the lightweight clicks you might hear when turning the key to second position (IGN on)), then this is likely to be the starter motor solenoid closing correctly.
If starter motor then fails to turn, problem could be dirty main contacts on the solenoid, or else a faulty starter motor.
If you can get a voltmeter between the starter motor small connector (feed to the solenoid) and Batt+, as you try to start, the meter should not read more than 1 to 1.5 volts. If it is much higher than that, there is a serious voltage drop to the solenoid, which points to bad IGN switch contacts.
Worth checking this out first, before the next move of repairing or replacing the starter motor/solenoid.
Chris
killer

Post by killer »

Cheers will be keeping an eye on it.