Silly thought.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Silly thought.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It's cranking and no fuel Neil, I've disconnected the pump connector to the fuel rail and spun it over, there's just a dribble out of the pump, took off the flow control solenoid and bench tested it, it works, there's a regulator (1 in the pic) in the bottom of the pump (an electro-valve) that I can't get at in situ so tomorrow the pump's coming off for a closer look,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and at the camshaft end dog Richard mentioned.

Photos:
Attachments
Pump1.png
Pump2.png
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hopefully if you're getting something out of the pump, then it's not the camshaft! There is presumably plenty of diesel in the tank.....?? Might be worth sticking a new fuel filter in?
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've disconnected the input pipe at the pump, there's ample diesel getting that far so not a low pressure problem, thinking about it makes my head ache, could it be electronic such as the emergency fuel shut off or one of the sensors but I guess the only way to find out is to get on with it.

Might go back to Austin 10s, I could fix them with my eyes shut. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This is a vid on the 2.0HDI engine with fuel regulator/ high pressure pump problems. He concluded that it was metallic debris from the high pressure pump blocking/ causing intermittant working of the fuel regulator.

It may be no help but its in the spoiler should you wish to have a 5 minute watch.
Spoiler: show
Regards Neil
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 05 Aug 2019, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Code
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Thanks for trying Neil, I've already been down that path without any luck, pumps on the bench now and have to decide what to do next, camshaft end and dog drive are ok, still cant get any pressure from the pump but is it the pump or the regulators?

Going to try to set up a test rig this afternoon, must get some food first..
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

It's always more likely that any component is getting duff info, than the component is at fault.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Silly thought-a recap

A recap starting with changing all four glow plugs
Got the thing all back together, fired it up, it ran for a couple of minutes then stopped and won't start again, eml is on and the diagnostics says 'pre-post heating sensor fault, not connected' . :shock: where the hell is it located. Checked the glow plugs and they're all reading ok now and I'm sure everything that came off (connections) has been put back on.
Well now I'm stuffed :( part came (glow plug relay) and fitted this morning, ran the diagnosis and cleared all the codes ran it again and it comes up with OK no fault codes on all systems but the EML is still on and no start.
I got my neighbour's grandson to loan me his Snap-on Modus diagnosis tool, seems there is zero pressure at the fuel regulator. every thing else checks out ok.
It's cranking and no fuel Neil, I've disconnected the pump connector to the fuel rail and spun it over, there's just a dribble out of the pump, took off the flow control solenoid and bench tested it, it works, there's a regulator (1 in the pic) in the bottom of the pump (an electro-valve) that I can't get at in situ so tomorrow the pump's coming off for a closer look,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and at the camshaft end dog Richard mentioned.
pumps on the bench now and have to decide what to do next, camshaft end and dog drive are ok, still cant get any pressure from the pump but is it the pump or the regulators?
Got the fuel pump on the bench and run it up to speed , it just dribbles out of the return pipe nothing out of the high pressure pipe, I've bought a second hand one and waiting for it to come....
Another series of silly thoughts from me......
While you are waiting for your second hand pump, Is there a "regulator at both at the low pressure end and the high pressure end? and the one you bench tested was the low pressure end?

Presumably with the high pressure regulator removed (if you can remove it) you would well be able to see if the pump was generating high pressure from its mechanical action. If it was a failure in this regard you may not expect it to be instantly catestrophic but a deterioration in function noticable in the cars driveability beforehand.

Maybe the high pressure regulator is blocked by debris from wearing mechanical components in the pump or the regulator itself, or just electrically or mechanically "stuck".

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The pump has a flow control valve at the top and a regulator on the bottom, they both seem to work ok when voltage is applied, the pumps in bits on the bench now and the only thing I can see wrong (apart from wear) is the inner shaft seal looks a bit dodgy.

All a bit academic now as I just have to wait for the post to bring the pump I've bought and go on from there.

Just bought a jewel of a Corsa Club for a temporary runabout, for a lot more money than any book will quote but I think it's worth it. :)
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 13:08 The pump has a flow control valve at the top and a regulator on the bottom, they both seem to work ok when voltage is applied, the pumps in bits on the bench now and the only thing I can see wrong (apart from wear) is the inner shaft seal looks a bit dodgy.

All a bit academic now as I just have to wait for the post to bring the pump I've bought and go on from there.

Just bought a jewel of a Corsa Club for a temporary runabout, for a lot more money than any book will quote but I think it's worth it. :)
No more updates on your "silly thought" thread Gibbo or has the new corsa taken any time pressure/enthusiasm off sorting it out!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Aug 2019, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Pump finally arrived yesterday morning and is part fitted, got called away for other things so had to leave it there, now rained off again :x

Here's the Corsa, remarkably clean for it's age:
Attachments
Corsa.JPG
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 09:06 Here's the Corsa, remarkably clean for it's age:
Looks good, hopefully in the just put fuel in and go condition. I have 2 corsa "C"s like yours in "my" fleet of maintenance reponsibilities.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't know what is an A B or C Corsa Neil it's just wheels to me. :-D
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

So the saga continues, the pump didn't fix it in fact it's popped up more codes on the diagnostics.

Back to square one:

Here's the story so far.

Cars running quite well but a diag says it has a faulty fuel cap or neck sensor so the DPF isn't going to regenerate.

Cap has a magnet missing, new cap doesn't fix it

Neck sensor changed still no fix so move on to the other diag fault, pre/post heating, chech#k the glow plugs, only one working so replace them along with the control unit.

No codes now but the eml is on and the car won't start.

Diag with a Snap on tester, shows zero pressure at fuel rail.. must have disturbed something while doing the glow plugs, check back, nothing obvious.
No fuel from the ho pump while cranking, is it the pump or one of the sensors/solenoids? Can't tell so off with the pump.

Can't get anything out of the pump by bench testing (set up a rig with a fuel tank directly feeding the pump and driven by the rattle gun and a suitable adaptor with voltage applied to either or both solenoids). Just a small dribble from the return pipe. Conclude a pump's needed. New pump £600+ recon £380+ so go for a used one off a running car for £80.. a gamble!

Fit the pump and...……………………………. :(

I think I need a wiring diagram to go through this wire by wire..........or return the car from whence it came.
NewcastleFalcon

Frustrating process for you Gibbo, hope you manage to crack it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've never been beaten on fixing a vehicle but this one's just about got me over the edge, still won't start but not popping up any fault codes now on my Wurth Snooper.

Still having yet another go at getting a working laptop with Diagbox. :?

Logic says it's something simple but what?