2014 C4 GP 1.6 e-HDi EGS Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

2014 C4 GP 1.6 e-HDi EGS Clutch

Post by Chris570 »

Morning Gents,

I've picked up the above car yesterday (trade sale so I can't return it) and when driving at motorway speeds and you accelerate the clutch will sometimes slip. Its hard to tell sometimes as the engine is so quiet. There is a little vibration sometimes at idle so I suspect the DMF is wearing out and the clutch isn't far behind.

The question is, is this a simple(ish) job of dropping the engine out and replacing parts and then bolting back together (changing the clutch slave cylinder as well) or is there anything more tricky to it?

I'm happy to do any Lexia work as i've got my own but looking for any hints or tips......
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2014 C4 GP 1.6 e-HDi EGS Clutch

Post by RichardW »

Mk1 or 2 Chris?

There's a thread about doing a MK1 somewhere - I imagine a MK2 will be similar, I'll try and have a look tonight to see if I have a procedure. The official Cit procedure is to drop the engine and box out the bottom, and then split it, but it's certainly do-able on a MK1 by dropping the subframe and then the box. There's a PITA gearbox bolt that is fitted from engine side, which means the DPF needs to be removed.... Lexia required to depressure the actuator, then bleed the clutch / repressure / re-program the gate / adjust the clutch.

On MK1 there is a clutch adjustment procedure in Diagbox - it might be worth trying this to see if it will help, but if it's up above 80k then time to break the spanners out....!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

RichardW wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 09:06 Mk1 or 2 Chris?

There's a thread about doing a MK1 somewhere - I imagine a MK2 will be similar, I'll try and have a look tonight to see if I have a procedure. The official Cit procedure is to drop the engine and box out the bottom, and then split it, but it's certainly do-able on a MK1 by dropping the subframe and then the box. There's a PITA gearbox bolt that is fitted from engine side, which means the DPF needs to be removed.... Lexia required to depressure the actuator, then bleed the clutch / repressure / re-program the gate / adjust the clutch.

On MK1 there is a clutch adjustment procedure in Diagbox - it might be worth trying this to see if it will help, but if it's up above 80k then time to break the spanners out....!

I know the bolt you mean, 13mm head but you first have to remove a stud that holds the DPF on. Sods!

the car is on 131k so either she's on her 2nd clutch and flywheel and i'm the luckiest person ever (unlikely) or the engine crane is coming out to play again.

Is there anything awkward about the reprogramming? I'm perfectly fine dropping an engine and swapping dmf etc, good excuse to do the cambelt at the same time!
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It seems to be a bit problematical sometimes, the most important thing seems to be that you need an auxiliary power supply (jump it off another car) to keep the voltage up, otherwise it won't work.

You should replace the release bearing / slave while you are there - it is inside the bell housing so daft not too, even though it costs >£50.
Richard W
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Thought I'd feedback here....

I decided to do an Italian clutch reset (Full bore start up to 40mph) and ever since then it does seem a lot better.

I'm not out of the woods yet as I think the DMF is a bit wobbly but it may have bought some time......
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
ChrisV
New User
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2014

Post by ChrisV »

Hi all,

So...I have had my C4 GP MK2 for about 2 years. Currently on 66,450 Miles. I had an issue (didn't think much of it at the time) where I would get high revs but little power/drive. Anyway, later that day after going up a rather large and long hill my clutch burnt out. There was smoke, that lovely smell e.t.c. I had the car towed home and then booked it in for a clutch replacement. keep in mind I am not a mechanic so I wasn't aware of actuators e.t.c. Any way clutch was replaced (£668) and the problem persists. Now apparently its the clutch actuator and have been quoted £778 + VAt for the part + labour.

I have been looking online and can only find gearbox/clutch actuators, are these the same thing? If anyone has any advice, links, tips or anything that can help I would be forever greatful. Apparently there only place you can get a new one is Citroen direct which is where that price came from.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes these are manual clutches and gearboxes, but they have electro-hydraulic actuators to do the clutch and gear changing for you. Who did the clutch replacement incidentally - was it the Citroen dealer?

I ask as the system needs to be recalibrated after the clutch has been replaced. These systems are massively expensive when they go wrong or need replacing - specifically because of the associated controlling mechanisms.

I strongly suspect won't get parts from anyone else as this is a PSA designed system, so maybe time to sell the family heirlooms again to get the other job done. But who diagnosed the actuators as faulty? Citroen will not really repair these - they will just replace - gone are those days.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Update to mine, the clutch has been getting progressively worse and so is currently sitting at Lighty's garage and is booked in for next week.

Considering the cost for me to do it wasn't a million miles for what Lighty wanted to do the job I would be stupid not to let someone with experience with these boxes tackle the job.

I'll post back here when I have her back.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Well good afternoon gents,

I'll do that rare thing and actually update the post!

Lighty replaced the clutch, and dmf and slave cylinder as agreed and it seems that it wasn't before time, the plate was the worst he'd seen on an EGS box!

The gear changes are now a lot better, not in AM6 turf but still not bad for a manual box. The creep function is actually there now and the car overall seems a lot happier.

Bad news time though, the car has always been a little rough on idle and I put that down to the failing DMF but it seems i've got an injector on it's way out. The car runs on 3.75 cylinders when cold and the engine doesn't pull like it should and there is smoke sometimes...... Looking at Diagbox cyl 4 is the one furthest from tolerance...

Is this job a hard one to do, I've done injector replacement before on both the RHR and DV6 lumps so is this job any harder when it comes to coding?

I've found this https://turbo-diesel.co.uk/product/bosc ... 76680-new/ which should do the job and is a good price I think.

If anyone's got any thoughts regarding this I'd be very grateful.

(hopefully i'll get to a point where the car behaves!)(they really don't build them as well as they built the Xantiae)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,