Wet carpet of driver's footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citroenxm wrote:Is this the S2 car??
It is indeed, Paul.

If that wasn't the cause, I guess I'll have to follow Jim's investigation method and have the seats/carpet out to pour coloured water over the car.

In the meantime, I'll take close look at the door seals. Which has reminded me, the car came with roof bars that are screwed into the door seals with self-tappers - one of them pished! Could be the cause?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: one of them pished! Could be the cause?
Whilst I'm not precisely sure what "Pished" in this context is Mike, I always thought it described a somewhat over-refreshed person, I'd say that these screws were almost invariably the cause of it, pished or otherwise.

If you don't need 'em hoike 'em out and seal the holes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

This leaking over the drivers door sill i have occasionally when the winds in the wrong direction , with the door oddment tray obscuring the ingress .
Even with the door card off i guessed it was coming through the window then the inside of the door aperture . But mainly just weak door rubber .
To stop the trickle over the rubber door seal , i lifted up the seal slightly .
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I am now convinced it is rain/water entering at the door seal where the roof bars were mounted. The design of the bar mounts is such it stands the rubber door seal off the roof bodywork and being directly under open skies (between door and roof) gladly accepts all fluids which is then free to run inside the door rubbers, down the A pillar and hence into the floor.

So it's a relief it's not vehicle fluids but a PITA it lets in rain.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Easiest fix may be to emmigrate to the Oz outback and live near one of the aussiefrogs :) wouldn't have to worry about it too much then and when it does get wet a day or two would dry it off :D

Have you tried putting masking tape bits over the part that has now been bent out a bit at all or are you going to get new rubbers/ used ones from a scarpper?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

If I could afford to emigrate, I would in a heartbeat but don't think Oz would let me in though.

I was thinking of just bonding the rubber to the bodywork with some sort of sealant if it doesn't self-repair over time now the bars have been removed.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i've found that if you take the carpet out dry the area and then put talcum powder around the floor under the bulkhead/matrix area then get a hose pipe and wet the car from front to back any water will make tracks in the talc showing where the waters coming in saved me loads of time in the past looking for leaks :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
deaconj999
My Cars: C5 (X7) 4 DOOR SALOON 2.0 HDi 138 Manual 6

Re: Wet carpet of driver's footwell

Post by deaconj999 »

I noticed this today for the first time. After going through the carwash today there was water in the footwell under the mat. I vaxed it and there must have been about 300 ml of water or more. I looked under the car and where the inner wheel arch liner is (Sorry but I'm no mechanic), at the rear where it adjoins the body of the car floor it was sodden on the outside. But it hadn't rained here for days and the car had not driven through any puddles. As I have an injury and can't drive my father in law was driving at the time through the carwash and I am unsure if the door was not tightly closed, there was no warning that the door was left open as the warning goes out after a while if the door is not closed fully.
Any ideas please?
Having had the horn relaced which I beleive is on the near side shouldn't have affected any seal under the wheel arch unless the garage disturbed it looking for the horn. should it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can check the door drainage holes are not blocked. If these get blocked, then water can enter the cabin floor via the door card. Next, make sure there are no leaves or gunk blocking the air intake or scuttle area below the lower exterior of the windscreen. Hopefully it was the car wash and the door not being shut.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
deaconj999

Post by deaconj999 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 23:58 You can check the door drainage holes are not blocked. If these get blocked, then water can enter the cabin floor via the door card. Next, make sure there are no leaves or gunk blocking the air intake or scuttle area below the lower exterior of the windscreen. Hopefully it was the car wash and the door not being shut.

Thanks Marc
deaconj999

Post by deaconj999 »

Hi all,
It is raining outside, car is sat on the drive. The drivers footwell is soaking wet. The passenger side is dry and so is the rear. Could the drains on the drivers side that I believe are somewhere under the scuttle blocked. Or could there be another reason. There is no coolant smell, it only leaks during the carwash or the rain. The door seal is fine and there is no sunroof. Could the mechanic who changed the clutch left something off inside the engine compartment. (straw clutching)!!!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds like a blocked scuttle drain.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

deaconj999 wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 19:27 Hi all,
It is raining outside, car is sat on the drive. The drivers footwell is soaking wet. The passenger side is dry and so is the rear. Could the drains on the drivers side that I believe are somewhere under the scuttle blocked. Or could there be another reason. There is no coolant smell, it only leaks during the carwash or the rain. The door seal is fine and there is no sunroof. Could the mechanic who changed the clutch left something off inside the engine compartment. (straw clutching)!!!!

The scuttle drains can become blocked up causing the problem. You'll need to remove the wheel arch lining, then towards the front opposite the strut you will see a small flap. Open this up and gently clean with a small plastic implement. Get plenty of running water onto the top of the windscreen and that will flush any crap through like leaves and bugs. I would suggest you do the other side too.

Here's a video of the issue that should show you more clearly:

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Mike if you bring the Lexia on Friday i will bring my toolbox :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

It's a given I'll bring the Lexia but if you're planning any serious spannering, you might have to consider bringing a gazeebo too.