Grand Modus Driver Door Won't Lock Using Fob (but does from within)

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marke89
My Cars: Grand Modus 1.2 TCE 2008

Grand Modus Driver Door Won't Lock Using Fob (but does from within)

Post by marke89 »

Hey

I have just purchased a Grand Modus with 82,000 2008 model with the 1.2 TCE engine.

The problem is, the driver door won't lock with the fob however does lock when sitting inside and using the dash button to lock the doors. Tested from outside, and it definitely locks.

Any idea what might be causing this? My driver door is permanently unlocked at the moment and I'm extremely worried.

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Grand Modus Driver Door Won't Lock Using Fob (but does from within)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure I understand you when you say "Tested from outside, and it definitely locks". How are you locking it from the outside - by using the Key in the door lock?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
marke89

Post by marke89 »

Hi, sorry I didn't make it clear, I have someone outside the car pull the door handle and I've tried it whilst outside too and its definitely locked. If you then unlock with the fob and try to lock with the fob, it fails to lock the drivers side. Its very strange.

I just tried locking it using the key itself in the door barrel and what would you know? It fails to lock it.
roger_dodger
My Cars: Scenic XMOD

Post by roger_dodger »

I have this issue on my newer Scenic. From some googling it seems to be a fairly common Renault issue. It's the door lock itself that is faulty in most cases. You can buy a new replacement for £150 ish (at least that's what mine is). If you double-tap the lock button on your fob, it should dead-lock (shown by multiple quick flashes of the indicator lights), and hopefully that will lock your driver door. Again, this is just from the experience of my Scenic. Regards
-------------------------------
Renault Scenic XMOD
marke89

Post by marke89 »

Hey,

To break it down, after a few days of messing around the results are:

1) Driver door does not lock with Fob, but locks all other doors.
2) Driver door does not lock using key in the door barrel.
3) Driver door LOCKS using the interior dash button to lock, all other doors also lock.

I took it to a guy today who diagnosed it as the door actuator/regulator who offered a new part but when I asked him what happens if the problem still exists, he said he can't return the parts so for that reason I thought I'd get a proper answer before going ahead and replacing someone that is not needed as I have a limited budget.

As a note, could it not have something to do with they driver key barrel, the switch from within is stuck thus telling the central locking the door is open/unlocked? As the key barrel is either faulty or the switch is not working (it doesn't lock the door.)

If the door locks from within then there can be nothing wrong with the actuator/regulator, no? It's all very odd.

I'm open to all theories here, thanks guys!
Last edited by marke89 on 11 Oct 2018, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
marke89

Post by marke89 »

roger_dodger wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 21:09 I have this issue on my newer Scenic. From some googling it seems to be a fairly common Renault issue. It's the door lock itself that is faulty in most cases. You can buy a new replacement for £150 ish (at least that's what mine is). If you double-tap the lock button on your fob, it should dead-lock (shown by multiple quick flashes of the indicator lights), and hopefully that will lock your driver door. Again, this is just from the experience of my Scenic. Regards

Thanks for the reply. I would have suspected so, however can you be a little more specific in the actual part? Is the the part that goes into the slam plate? Key Barrel? The actuator (or are they the same thing?)

Thanks!
roger_dodger
My Cars: Scenic XMOD

Post by roger_dodger »

I think it's what your guy is calling the actuator. It's a black sealed box with the motors inside to do the locking and dead-locking. I looked at a second hand one, but because the problems are so common, I think it's best to invest in a new one (at least, that's what I'm planning to do when I can get around it).
-------------------------------
Renault Scenic XMOD
Christopher Robin
My Cars: Megane CC Mk3 1.9DCi 131BHP
Peugeot 307 CC 2.0HDi 138BHP

Post by Christopher Robin »

When you say you've tried the emergency key in the door lock and it fails to lock... Why?
Does the key just turn in the barrel, or does it not turn at all. For me this is the area i would be concentrating on 1st as you need to fix this first.
If this switch on your barrel is stuck showing open/unlocked then I would say this is step 1 can it be unstuck/temp bypass or just replace it, if it is stuck then it will be sending conflicting signals
It might have/had a water leak in that door and corroded some wires in the door lock. I think the interior lock button works off the RAID system (auto locking above 5mph) so it's on a different circuit to your fob locking.
Does your interior light come on as my old meg 2 and my now meg 3 the door lock operates interior light.
Also just to confuse you i don't think your vehicle "sees" this door as open as it looks all others, if I don't shut a door fully and hit the lock button on my fob the other doors lock briefly but unlock again as the system registers 1 door open also the door open sign would appear on your dash.
I would fix this stuck switch 1st as it might be telling the central lock systems the door is actually locked or just an unplausable signal so lock just sits there , cars are just really complicated these days odd the key doesn't work as they are know as the emergency key even when the battery is dead you can still lock the car which suggests a mechanical connection to the door lock.
Hope this helps a little.