I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by CitroJim »

Trouble is, all those pre-war cars looks very, very similar to me.. Can't tell them apart at all..

Just like how today the wheel has come full-circle as it were and again the run-of-the-mill euroboxes look so similar they're hard to tell apart...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Pity the view is side on in the picture, but with the subtle differences you have spotted it could very well be one of these...minus the curvy bumper of course :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Richard did mention in his post that the cars had been at Linlithgow, and there was indeed a classic event there on 28th August. Interesting that one of the club members vehicles is a Singer Bantam.....only image I can find of it was from September 2009.....not inconceivble that it may have been repainted in Blue. It is shown as SORN, and still green on the DVLA vehicle check so unlikely to be our vehicle in question.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Try this Neil:

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You said you like a challenge Neil, see if you can find my Rolls in America, I've been trying for years without any luck.

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

.....yes, that may turn out to be mission impossible :!: :-D

Still there's bound to be a bit of interest along the way doing a bit of detective work!

I think the one assumption which has to be made, is that whoever bought it, and through to whoever is its latest custodian, it has escaped being scrapped. Probably far too much value in it for that whatever condition it was in.

So all there is at the moment is this

Its a start!
YV is a london Registration and was used between March 1928 and May 1928

Presumably it went from YV1 in March to YV9999 in May 1928, and the model is a Phantom of some designation bit like this?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and other things you have told us about it
.....I ignored him and painted it in a majestic maroon. When I sold it to a guy in San Francisco he immediately repainted it midnight blue.
However I did wish I'd been able to keep this one but at the time money was more important so I sold it to a guy in San Francisco back in 1961.

I've often wondered if it still survives and on a couple of trips to SF I've looked for it, without any joy, Asking the US DMV is worse than trying to get info from our DVLA, they want a fee and you have to have a good legitimate reason for asking which unless it's to check on an accident or a defaulting payer seems to be not acceptable.
It's a 1928 Rolls Royce 20HP which I saved from going for scrap back then.
So bit off the mark with a Phantom, but 1928...spot on with the reg.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...oh and just below your post about the Rolls, was White-Exec's (Chris) post about his first car a Rover 10....

.....yet another one which looks strangely similar to the South Queensferry car...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....$14,900 buys this one Gibbo!

Says its a 1926 one so unlikely to be yours!

Now this one is a 1928 model, bit pricier at $125,000 restored in the 1970's

A couple of 20 HP's I have come across, have come back into the UK after spending many years in the USA.
http://www.handh.co.uk/buy/1926-rolls-r ... urer/10273

.....In 1960 it was exported to the USA having been purchased by an American gentleman who had come to England to source a 20hp. He kept it for the next 38 years before deciding he was sadly getting too old for open-air motoring. In the 1990s it benefitted from an engine rebuild by Maryott Engineering of San Marino, California, before being re-imported to the UK by Orchid Cars of Amesbury around 1998.
Maybe the same American gentleman who bought yours :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I find it very sad that anyone would let a vintage car get into that state, I suspect that mine would have gone the same way had I not rescued it from where it was rotting away on an army car park in Sutton Coldfield.
It's possible that the guy I sold it to expired and it's sitting in a barn somewhere or maybe it got crushed in the 1989 earthquake who knows.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I agree. I find it rather hard to understand how anyone could let such a car as a Roller deteriorate like that..

Mind you, living very close to the Aston martin Heritage Centre where they rebuild and restore Astons, I've seen some pretty rough examples turn up for some attention. Again, who in their right minds would neglect a classic Aston?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Over on "Picture of the Day" this was "caught in the headlights".

An interesting spot, its a Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mark IIA from 1953. Previous versions had "spats" over the rear wheels. The saloon features a "pillarless" join between the glass on the rear door and the rear quarter window. It was the last car to carry the Sunbeam Talbot Name (in that era anyway... not sure if it got revived). It was also the subject of a very early Whatsthisthen? which Malcolm ( Citronut) was particularly pleased to get
citronut wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:The points have to go to Malcolm!

NA NA NA NA NA :roll: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
Click on thumbnail for larger pic!

Image Image Image

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and one for the cyclists,

...if you peer inside the pillarless rear window you will see that the owner, is making good use of his classic and has got his bike in. Looks like its one of these.

So, a bit of a cycling connoisseur too perhaps..

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:So, a bit of a cycling connoisseur too perhaps..
Into both classic cars and classic bikes :) A real person after my own heart...

I'd love to get into the world of classic bikes but they're eyewateringly expensive :(

There's an international series of events dedicated to riding classic bikes on a sportive/audax-ride in period clothing and with period accessories called L'Eroica

This is the British one taking place in June 2017 Eroica Britannia

Love to take part in this but funds just won't extend to getting a bike plus all the kit... :(
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Over on "Picture of the Day" this was "caught in the headlights".

An interesting spot, its a Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mark IIA from 1953. Previous versions had "spats" over the rear wheels. The saloon features a "pillarless" join between the glass on the rear door and the rear quarter window. It was the last car to carry the Sunbeam Talbot Name (in that era anyway... not sure if it got revived). It was also the subject of a very early Whatsthisthen? which Malcolm ( Citronut) was particularly pleased to get
citronut wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:The points have to go to Malcolm!

NA NA NA NA NA :roll: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
Click on thumbnail for larger pic!

Image Image Image

Regards Neil
I worked on these back in the distant past, one of our old boy customers only ever used second and fourth gears, hardly took his hand out of his lap to change gear.

Another customer crashed his and we repaired it, nearside front wing and the inner panels had to be replaced and the chassis straightened, in those days to get a chassis straightened you had to get a works team out from Rootes to do it, I expected to see some fabulous tools but they came with a very large acetylene blow torch and a couple of lump hammers :) .

A regular buyer for them was a Birmingham pawnbroker, Pawson, when the Sunbeam Rapier came out he was the first to buy but was completely disappointed with what he got.