Xantia HDI 110 Clutch slave kaputt..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia HDI 110 Clutch slave kaputt..

Post by CitroJim »

This sounds like the classic clutch failure where the release bearing has pulled out of the centre of the clutch diaphragm spring...

Replacement of the whole clutch is the only answer...

the slave cylinder has likely survived and in any case can be recovered...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Thanks Jim. I will start opening it up with the replacement, but good to know in advance!

What makes you think the slave has survived, considering that I mentioned, that the clutch fluid reservoir became almost empty after the incident? Also once I managed to pull up the clutch pedal, why does it feel stiff to push now and doesnt go all the way to the floor?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think it may have survived because it's been pushed to the end of its travel which will drop the fluid level... Also, the fact it's now hard to push is a good sign that the slave still has airless fluid in it.

It may be hard to push because the pushrod has slipped to one side and is caught between the actuating arm and casing...

Even if the slave has come apart it can be reassembled and bled.. There's a post on here that explains a couple of methods...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Awesome! I dont think bleeding is a problem because it has a proper clutch reservoir which means it is not one of the sealed units.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Hi,
Update to my case!
I got the clutch changed with a LUK clutch kit at a local workshop. The slave cylinder was intact. Also got the gear oil changed with 75W80 bought from Citroen OEM parts supplier. The box says Peogeot Citroen BV 75W80 so I believe must be total oil sold by Citroen in their own box (unless it was a fake).

Problem: The gear does not go into the 2nd gear with the car stationary(even with engine off). All other gears go smoothly and softly. Clutch is also soft and good. When I drive at slow speeds, and keep the gear slightly pulled towards the 2nd gear slot, it gets nudged into place after about 1 or 2 seconds. But with the car stationary very hard to get into 2nd gear.

Any help you could provide to help me troubleshoot. While the clutch had broken, the mechanic had driven the car without the clutch some distance to get the car to the workshop. Could it have resulted in some problem to the gear box synchro? Could overfilling the gear oil cause it?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear the clutch job is OK :D

The 2nd gear problem is an odd one... I'd be inclined, if it was OK before, to check the gear change cables have been correctly refitted and the outers are properly clipped to the bracket. There is no adjustment on the cables or on the gear selection mechanism...
Jim

aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

CitroJim wrote:Good to hear the clutch job is OK :D

The 2nd gear problem is an odd one... I'd be inclined, if it was OK before, to check the gear change cables have been correctly refitted and the outers are properly clipped to the bracket. There is no adjustment on the cables or on the gear selection mechanism...
Hi Jim, Monday it goes back to the workshop for checking. If it is a 2nd gear synchro problem, is it usual for gear to not enter even with the engine off?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

aneesh84 wrote:If it is a 2nd gear synchro problem, is it usual for gear to not enter even with the engine off?
Yes, a worn synchro will not normally prevent engagement when the engine is off or the car is not moving unless the synchro is very badly damaged...
Jim

aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

It was indeed a case of damaged synchro on the second gear.

I managed to get a second hand gear box and will need to get it swapped.

Can I reuse the newly installed clutch kit with the old gear box?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

aneesh84 wrote: Can I reuse the newly installed clutch kit with the old gear box?
Strictly no because the release bearing is a fit once only device...

However, at your own risk... The release bearing is held in with a 'C' clip and with great care it can be removed undamaged and reused.. I've done it once..

As I say, at your own risk...
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

I just read all the thread ....filled a Sunday now to find the shortened version :oops:

Maybe a hint on page 1 would have helped [-o< :rofl2:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 16:07 I just read all the thread ....filled a Sunday now to find the shortened version :oops:

Maybe a hint on page 1 would have helped [-o< :rofl2:

Lightweight! It's only 12 pages :lol: Quite short in the FCF scheme of things...

Try my blog next. I believe that's now on page 406 :)
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

:rofl2: Jim

Not the first time I've been called that :roll:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
matej
My Cars: XM 2.1 TD 12V 1991 Ambiente
Xantia 2.0 HDi 2000 Non Hydractive but 500cc BX spheres in the front and original front spheres in the back, all with increased pressure makes a bit better ride

Post by matej »

Just changed the clutch bearing on my xantia and everything fine except the leak on the connection of pipe on slave cylinder. I found the problem is the missing rubber and I ordered it, I will get it tomorrow but as I’ve seen on some youtube video, the rubber is slightly bigger then I expected and I just realised that it is what I’ve seen inside the cylinder. So it got stuck in the cylinder hole and slipped off the groove from the black plastic connector and when reconnected, it doesn’t slip back into the groove as it used to be. good but I will get the new one anyway as it will seal definitely better than 20y old.
Btw., haynes book is saying that clutch bearing cannot be replaced without replacing pressure plate, but it’s easy to push the bearing in direction to the engine and probably free it from there by removing the clip if you remove the pressure plate. I bought the bearing only, in advance so I pushed the old bearing through the pressure plate, but cut off the bigger part of it with angle grinder first. Haha. What was left of the bearing was just a pipe with constant diameter which went easily through doing no harm to the pressure plate. I couldn’t just remove the bigger parts as the inner ring is getting bigger on the end and wouldn’t go through. Pressure plate and friction plate were in good condition and it only takes time, patience and some skills to remove everything, so I saved some money. Wiggling the gearbox to get it from engine bay was the hardest part. But at least I was happy there is an eye for hanging on top of it (if it was ment for hanging) so I hung it and that helped a lot, it’s almost above the centre of gravity so pulling the rope with one hand and rotating the gearbox as needed with the other hand was good enough. Have to say I had the hoist made of three pulleys, so the weight I was pulling was third of the real weight. Loosening of wheel nuts was impossible so I just took the wheel hubs off the lower arms and top struts, that gives enough place to move the driveshafts away. Also no need to use special tool to
pull the fork to connect the clutch bearing to the plate, as piece of rope loop hooked on the fork did the same job.
If it helps someone, the rubber piece nr. is 215615
Attachments
336844A1-7DE6-4C75-80E7-73EAC58748F2.jpeg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

matej wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 21:58 Just changed the clutch bearing on my xantia
Excellent work sir :D Well done!
Jim