I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote:
citronut wrote: so we parked her up in a BR car park and continued the journey by train, came back a couple of weeks later and she had vanished :roll: :shock: :cry:
Well thats rust for you... :wink:
:rofl2:

It's true though... The Cresta was not quite so bad as the F-Type Victor but not so far off. They dissolved like a sugar cube in a cup of coffee..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

citronut wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:I do like a bit of two-toneage, and the Cresta certainly had a nice variety.

Has the age of the nice two-tone been lost now or are there any nice current examples :?:

regards Neil
wrong Neil
that aint a Cresta but a Velox ( dont remember the PA using the Wyvern badge??? ) :yikes: :roll: #-o :wink: , as it dont have the indicators on the tips of the rear wings,
it just came up on the images on google search for Vauxhall Cresta PA. Must admit I was just looking for nice colour combinations but well spotted if it is a Velox :)

411BEW is described as
"GREEN AND BLACK, 1961 VAUXHALL CRESTA SALOON"

Good old wiki lists the cosmetic updates in 1960 to the Cresta PA being

"Further changes came in August 1960 ... Externally, there was a redesign of the rear lights, with shallower units replacing the elongated oval ones of the previous versions. The direction indicators, previously in the rear tail fins were now incorporated in the main lamp unit and the fins were now solid with a V for Vauxhall badge. The rear bumper was now a higher mounted straight topped design....."

I still havent worked out what the difference between a Velox and a Cresta was. They are siblings sharing the same body shell. Its easier of course if the word "Velox" is badged on the tail-fin like this 1959 model-by the time 1961 arrived the Cresta/Velox PA had evolved a wraparound rear screen

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Come to think of it, looking at the picture above, I think the blue and white one is a 1959 PA Velox, and the badge on the rear fin confirms it :)

regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
BW
My Cars: Xantia V6
2cv Special

Post by BW »

I think the Velox was the original, with the Cresta coming later as a slightly more luxurious version. My dad had one which wasn't affected by rust at all, but we were in West Africa at the time :)
1985 2cv
2000 Xantia V6
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my dad had a quite early Wyvern ( sit up and begg style'ish ) then he had the bulbous Cresta, then a PA Cresta and finally what i call the Vicount type/shaped Cresta, i believe the Vicount Cresta was the very last of the Cresta's,

also i always thought the way to tell the difference between a Cresta,Velox and Wyvern was the Cresta's had two tone coachwork ,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Its easier of course if the word "Velox" is badged on the tail-fin like this 1959 model-by the time 1961 arrived the Cresta/Velox PA had evolved a wraparound rear screen

regards Neil
maybe this car has has a resto and they wrongly badged it :yikes: :missile: :missile: #-o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Two spots yesterday but sadly no photos...

First was a cream/rust H on the back of a transporter heading north up the A34 near Abingdon, presumably on its way to a restoration place and the second was the well-known Yapp Wines H parked in its normal A303 layby near Mere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim :)

...and for new viewers of the I-Spy Citroen H-Vans thread, who haven't waded through the full 24 pages yet here is the Yapp Wines Van, in its layby on the A303 in all its glory!

and on a slightly less dreecht day at home at Mere

regards Neil

...and for the A303 purist, as posted up on page 14 of the thread, there is a BBC Four Documentary with a bloke driving its length in a Morris Traveller.

BBC Four Documentary-A303 Highway to the Sun
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:Two spots yesterday but sadly no photos...
and the second was the well-known Yapp Wines H parked in its normal A303 layby near Mere...
i just did a gooooogly earth check on the A303 near Mere and i couldn't see a H van parked in the layby's :o #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil,
Thanks for the pictures and my second favourite documentary of all time!

(Nigel Slater's Biscuits is my favourite...)
citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Two spots yesterday but sadly no photos...
and the second was the well-known Yapp Wines H parked in its normal A303 layby near Mere...
i just did a gooooogly earth check on the A303 near Mere and i couldn't see a H van parked in the layby's :o #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
It's only there when the winery is open Malcolm :wink: It was at home when I went past it yesterday morning at about 08:00 but there in the layby when I went past it again at around 14:30..

Giggle Earf piccys are taken at odd times mainly. Many car parks that are full in the normal working day are seen to be deserted when seen on Giggle Earf...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Neil,
Thanks for the pictures and my second favourite documentary of all time!

(Nigel Slater's Biscuits is my favourite...)
So Jim, can I test you on your favorite documentary? .....

How many holes should a bourbon have? (before finding the answer out from this 2 minute clip!) and a supplementary how long should it be (in mm)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01n4jnz

Nice unidentified random 2-tone bus in the background

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I pass on the questions Neil, that's propper biscuit enthusiast stuff..

That bus is lovely and the seat trim is especially lovely. I believe it's a Bedford of early 50s vintage...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I see the A303: Highway To The Sun Documentary is on BBC4 this evening at 8 :-D
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: How many holes should a bourbon have? (before finding the answer out from this 2 minute clip!) and a supplementary how long should it be (in mm)

Regards Neil

20 holes :-D well it has got two sides and 10 per side :lol: :wink: and 62mm length, yeh ok i watched the clip first
Regards, malcolm.

NewcastleFalcon

citronut wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote: How many holes should a bourbon have? (before finding the answer out from this 2 minute clip!) and a supplementary how long should it be (in mm)

Regards Neil

20 holes :-D well it has got two sides and 10 per side :lol: :wink: and 62mm length, yeh ok i watched the clip first
That is top quality thinking Malcolm, the so called expert on the film, who also thought that a "ginger snap was like an alien landscape" affirmed incorrectly as it turns out that there were 10!

Have a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer on me!

Regards Neil

PS My apologies...its best before July 2011!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey