gear box level - checking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

gear box level - checking

Post by shaunthesheep »

hi all,
does anyone know of the best way to check xantia manual gear box fluid level, i don't know if i need to remove the passager side front wheel or not, looked in haynes manual, but dosen't tell me a great deal.
dom
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi shaunthesheep,
Which model Xantia and year.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

xanita, hatchback, sx, 1993, L reg, manual gearbox
dom
Edited by - shaunthesheep on 11 Sep 2002 01:18:39
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi Dom,
Drain plug is pretty obvious. I presume petrol 1.8 8v although I don't think there is much differences. Remove the nearside front wheel, and maybe, if you are lucky, without removing the access cover under the wheel arch, you may be able to see the gearbox level/filler plug. If you are unlucky, you may have to remove the wheel arch lining. The plug is on the end of the transmission casing and looks like it was a bolt actually holding on the casing. Once identified, try slackening, and thick oil should run out, or a hole will appear where oil can be put in. Oil should just appear at the opening on level ground. It will do no damamge if you slacken the wrong bolt. Just tighten it up again. Use a new copper washer, to ensure no leaks. Oil grade is Shell SF5288 75/80W 1.8 litres after drain and refill. Hope this helps.