Xantia HDI 110 Clutch slave kaputt..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Xantia HDI 110 Clutch slave kaputt..

Post by HDI Dave »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,first post and problems already! lol.

Been sorta railroaded into buying a T reg Xantia 2.0 HDI 11O (think that's right,lol)
Like this: same colour,pic nicked from the 'bay:

Never been a fan of citroens much,what with all this fancy suspension and pipes EVERYWHERE under the bonnet!!
But, the wife hates our little old basic pug with a passion.No power steering etc,nowt..Our last car (mondeo) had lots of toys.So she's bought this,be like a rolls royce compared to dervpug!

Anyway..headaches for me..Was my mates car - clutch went BANG - me + my mate fixed clutch (GSF £125..I think)..it needed another part,££ - clutch slave cylinder was / is broke,citroen say you need the whole system etc etc ££££400+ eek - mate says..sod this..and buys a newer vw golf..
Wifey "you're good at fixing em,blahblahblah woop woop"
Me "yay..."

Gonna have to try source or even fix the slave cyl - ebay etc. T'is a good car apart from this..new disks all round,tyres,etc etc,mate chucked money at it,and it's a good model, 2.HDI 110,not the 90..Sold us it for £200.

Hopefully I'll be able to do something with this broken clutch slave cylinder,with your help. Seems to be a separate sealed hydraulic jobby which broke when the clutch thrust release bearing exploded.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and nice to meet you all :D

Cheers, Dave.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forum Dave.

At that price it is well worth fixing - could you obtain a replacement cylinder from a scrapyard?

Although you seem quite ambivalent if not altogether hostile toward Citroen's, that will all change and you will be seduced by the hydraulicy goodness and renowned Gallic charm - when you aren't pulling your hair out and wearing sackcloth & ashes :P
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome Dave!

If you've still got the slave cylinder push rod and it's not smashed, then you should be able to push it back then refill / bleed the mech. Although Cit say it's sealed, it's not by all accounts. There is no bleed nipple, but I think if make sure the reservior down the back of the engine is the highest point, then you can just top it up and wait for the air bubbles to rise out (a few hours / days?). If it's bust / the rod is lost, then scrap yard has got to be the best bet. Failure almost unheard of (except if the release bearing comes away from the clutch and the rod is pushed out!) so should be able to get a working one. As to fitting it....who knows. Sure I heard somewhere it's a mare though!
Richard W
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Lol, nope,it's not just citroens,could be owt.I even love my motorbikes, but whenever I get a car/bike with a problem I'm stuck on...they're ALL a pain in the butt, 'till I've got said problem sorted :mrgreen:

The car's sat at my mates house.I was going to go over today but it's chucking it down here in the old Yorkshire,so I've not looked at the slave cylinder lately for a comparison down the scrappers.
This is where my confusion is.Mate got a new slave cylinder,off citroen, but it was different. Mine has some kind of separate hydraulic system which is sealed,with no bleed nipple etc. Going to have to figure something out with it.

I'm sure I'll get to quite like the 'magic carpet' ride of the car. The wife just wants a car with power steering again! lol
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Strange,can't edit my above post, so will reply here.

Richard, aye,unlucky for me,the slave cylinder push rod is smashed.
The car drove fine,then went BANG.Mate had to crash the 'box to get home. When we got it apart, (gearbox out, oh what fun that was...lol), the release bearing had indeed separated from the clutch plate..total destruction,wrecking the slave push rod as a parting gift..

Ahh..interesting about the bleeding,thanks.Might try bodge this brand new, but different slave cylinder, as that has a nipple on the cylinder itself,iirc.
Oh well,gotta love a challenge :)
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Hi, I will check on the Citroen service site when I get home but if it is the same one as on the 2.1TD then I'm currently stripping a car in Leeds.

PM me if you are interested.

Rory
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Hi Rory, sounds like a plan.

Mate's away all weekend but will try get some pics / info up of the slave.

Luckily I'm Leeds side of Bradford..Tong Street area,so I might be getting back to you if I can't sort / bodge this new (ill fitment) slave cylinder.

Cheers, Dave.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

I would bet that this can be fixed, I have never yet been asked to look at one of these sealed unit clutch master / slave assemblys, but in the end, it realy should only be down to a few seals.

The way that I allways see these things is that you have a unit that dont work, if you strip it, clean it and check it all out and it still dont work, you have lost nuffin!!

In otherwords, have a go, you may get lucky.

Regards
Martin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum :D

The hydraulic clutch assembly is the same across the upper Xantia range and you'll find them on Activas and 2.1TDs as well as 110HDis (but not the 90HDi). I believe some XMs have the same arrangement as well. Basically, any PSA vehicle with the ML5 gearbox shares the same system so some 406s will have it as well.

They are a right old pig to remove :twisted:

There may be one available on the Activa that is being broken in Wellingborough. See the Activa section of this forum for details.

If the engine is already out, it'll make the removal of the clutch hydraulics easier.

At least on the 110HDi you have a bit more space to work. The same cannot be said for the Activa and 2.1TD where the turbo hoses get in the way.

You'll love the car when it's fixed :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Jim

Thanks for confirming that, and at least the engine is out of my old 2.1 TD so hopefully removal would not be that bad.

Rory
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Pleiades wrote:I would bet that this can be fixed, I have never yet been asked to look at one of these sealed unit clutch master / slave assemblys, but in the end, it realy should only be down to a few seals.

The way that I allways see these things is that you have a unit that dont work, if you strip it, clean it and check it all out and it still dont work, you have lost nuffin!!

In otherwords, have a go, you may get lucky.

Regards
Martin.

Well I suppose that's proof of how few of these ever go wrong, and need attending to!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

If it is the same as the Hydraulic clutch for the 2.5TD Citroen XM then it was fitted to a variant of the MG5 gearbox as well as the later ML5 one. Quite a few 2.5 XM's being broken on ebay at present. On dismantling the push rod has to be restrained in the end fixing to avoid fluid loss from the bottom of the hydraulic pipe. Similarly the clutch pedal must not be operated even by hand or this will eject the push rod and the fluid.

John
Xmexclusive
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I seem to remember that the pushrod was available as a separate part, and that therefore the fluid must be refillable (as posted above).

Since I no longer have access to Citroen Service, I can't verify my memory!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Cheers everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it :)

I'm new at all this citroen stuff.Grew up on F ords.
Pinto.Engine,carb,distributor/points,exhaust..etc...simple

then s ierras/mundano's,cvh etc

gotta spell it different..or it just says,none citroen,etc ..

Here's a pic of my dillemma.
Top, new/pattern slave,but with a bleed nipple.. don't fit.Need a connector in the top of it (to the fluid pipe)

Bottom,original slave (pushrod plastic goosed,after thrust release bearing went a.w.o.l ) - no bleed nipple.

S14yer, yes, the pushrod is available.it's shown in my pic,on the old slave,the nakt one is to the left, with fekt plastic end.

So..can I re use the old one (slave cylinder)?
Looks like a 3 handed job,so the pushrod don't push out on re assembly etc :?

oh I don't know.........lol
Been a long day. etc etc
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dave

The old end looks just like the Cit XM/PUG 605 2.5TD hydraulic drive except that those have a permanently fitted feed pipe. Those fit a MG5T gearbox.
I suspect that the new on you have is to fit the later MLT5 gearbox.

John
Xmexclusive