Renault Scenic Grand MKIII - wipers and parking brake problems

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnWayneStatue
My Cars: Renault Scenic Grand MKIII 2010

Renault Scenic Grand MKIII - wipers and parking brake problems

Post by JohnWayneStatue »

Renault Scenic Grand MKIII 2010

Hi folks

Having a painful time with 2010 MkIII Scenic Grand, which I bought in Nov 2018.

In December the check parking brake warning light suddenly came on. The parking brake worked fine, tested on steep hill, so hadn't a clue what the issue was (car newb). I was advised to check for water in the storage bins etc in case the scuttle drains were blocked, and to check battery strength, as these things I was told can cause the check parking brake warning light to come on.

Then in February my wipers started clattering into each other. Right out the blue. Most of the time it appears he passenger wiper does not come down fast enough and is hit by the driver wiper. Anyway, searched Internet forums and found lots with same wiper problem. One solution was to re-initialise wipers. This I did, removed the wiper arms, could see the motors on both side chuntering away. Put the wiper arms back on, worked fine! For an hour that is then went back to hitting each other.

Took car to garage, new battery, scuttle drains cleared, but made no difference. Worse, now the parking brake won't disengage when I touch the gas pedal (the mechanic said he found a wire with electricians tape on it above the clutch pedal). I have to use the little lever, which is no hardship but shouldn't need to.

So that's where I am.

If I put the wipers on they'll work once or twice ok then clatter into each other.
Given the passenger wiper seems to be one which usually gets hit, thinking of buying a used wiper motor for that side.

My big worry is there's something wrong with some control unit which is causing these problems.

Any advice welcome indeed.

Cheers
John
Glasgow, Scotland
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Renault Scenic Grand MKIII - wipers and parking brake problems

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi John. I personally can't help you out technically with Renault vehicles, but there are sometimes common themes that run through different marques for similar issues.

I've heard that some aftermarket wiper blades for these are too long, causing clashing - so if you replaced these recently (or a non-Renault garage did), than might be worth considering.

If not that, there's a reinitialisation procedure on the Renault Forum:

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/17-elec ... 2A%2A.html
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
JohnWayneStatue
My Cars: Renault Scenic Grand MKIII 2010

Post by JohnWayneStatue »

Hi there
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I've not had the wipers replaced since I bought the car, and they worked fine for five months.
Also the re-initialisation from that link I have tried, though I didn't explain clearly.
All very frustrating.
Thanks again for replying.
John
Robert ian
My Cars: Renault grand scenic 2010

Post by Robert ian »

Hi i have just had the same problem.
Get ready to bite the bullet. My wiper just went into change wiper blade mode, (see below) then went back to normal then back to change wiper blade mode. Then stooped working all together. luckily i was about 200 meters from home in the rain.
After a lot of searching i rang my Renault dealer in Blackpool. Who said it happens occasionally. the solution is to buy and replace one or both motors. the motors are electronically synchronised, so both have to be working correctly if not they will clash and stop working all together.
What i suggest is that you buy two new motors, not from the scrapers. as you could still have the problem.
It is quiet simple to change the motors over if you have a basic knowledge of screw driver and socket sett.
change the drivers side first leaving the passengers side in place, to see if this works, if not change the passengers side (new) and replace the drivers original motor to see if this works. If you are unlucky you will need both motors to be changed. if you are lucky you can get a refund on the motor you don't need.
Whilst the motors are out. Important there is a drain hole behind the motor about the size of a ten pence piece. you will not believe how these can get blocked, mainly leaves and other crud. i think this is what causes the problem as both my motor's seemed to have been affected by water in the motor compartment, when i compared the new to old. You must clean this out a piece of old hose pipe will do the trick.
wiper blade mode this is the fun bit. Renault don't tell you about this. to change your wiper blades you have to put the wiper arm in two positions.
First start by turning on the engine with the wiper arm at the top O.
Second switch off the engine and pull the wiper arm straight down to the 2.
The wipers will go straight up to the side of the windows so you can easily change the blades.
You will need to do this to put your wiper blades back in the correct position ( pointing upright ) once you have replaced one or both motors, otherwise the blades will clash. not good!
Cost this is not the fun bit. each motor will cost £324.00 yes i did say £324.00. If you let Renault replace them £130.00 each side (that's a lot of cash to mend your wipers) So i saved £260.00 by doing it my self.
I hope this has helped. My Grand scenic has only done 65K and overall has been a brilliant car with not to much overall cost. so you may have to decide the cost over the car. Good Luck. Robert
JasonT
My Cars: Renault Scenic 2006
Renault Grand Scenic 2010

Post by JasonT »

Hi, sorry, a bit late on this one. Did changing the motors, sort the problem? I have the same issue with my wife's car. It's booked in at a main dealer in a couple of weeks but would rather save the money and do it myself. Any advice more than welcome.