Diagbox Lexia 3, Graphic functionality not available.

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob_V
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive Hatchback 2007
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive Estate 2007
Citroen C5 2.2 Diesel Exclusive Hatchback 2005 (sold)
Citroen C5 3.0 Petrol Exclusive Hatchback 2001 (sold)

Diagbox Lexia 3, Graphic functionality not available.

Post by Bob_V »

I have a problem with the front Parking Sensors on my C5 Facelift 2.0HDI Exclusive 2007.

I am trying to discover what is wrong by using my recently purchased Diagbox/Lexia 3. No faults with Parking Sensors are displayed using the Global Diagnostics

As part of the investigation I am trying to record the front sensors operation. The recording operation seems to work without a problem but when I try to view the saved measurements I get a multi-language screen of which the English is 'Graphic Functionality Not Available'.

When moving back up the menus I do have a number of Personalised Parameter files which have been created. If I click on any of these I get the same multi-language screen and no graphs are displayed.

Has anyone any ideas as to what may be wrong here or is it a bit of finger trouble on my part?

Bob
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Diagbox Lexia 3, Graphic functionality not available.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can you describe the actual issue you are having with the front sensors?
With regard to graphical data for parking sensors, I would be surprised if there was any. I know the faulty individual sensors can be identified with Lexia, but what sort of graphical data were you expecting to see?

I will have a look at mine tomorrow to see if there is anything recorded and report back.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Thanks for the response Marc.

The Front Sensor fault is rather strange.

In Normal operation when creeping forward towards an obstacle at a certain distance away a window pops up on the Nav screen showing the outline of a car in a box. As the obstacle is approached coloured bars appear going from green through orange to red. Finally a warning triangle appears in the box as the obstacle gets within a few inches.

In my case when approaching an object the window does not pop up until the point at which the warning triangle would normally appear. The window just contains the outline of the car in a box with one green line below the car outline. Moving further forwards results in hitting the object without any further warning.

Rear sensors are working normally.

Running tests on the Lexia show no faults with all available tests. What I was attempting to do was to check the front and rear sensors using Personalised Parameter measurements by starting recording and walking around the car then stopping recording. It certainly seems to generate a file and has done several times but when attempting to 'View Graphical Measurements Saved' I get the error 'Graphics Functionality Not Available'. I was hoping to see if the sensors are working normally.

Bob.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, thanks for the additional information. I take it you have the RT3 Navidrive system on your C5. I had this system too, and although I had multiple sensor fails, front and rear, there was never an issue with the screen.

Has the issue suddenly happened recently, and has this happened after you have used Lexia to change any other unrelated parameters?

I ask this because there is a known fault with some software versions of Lexia that can leave the parking assistance ECU incorrectly configured that causes issues with the front sensors only. Normally if there is a sensor out, the whole system switches off as a safety feature. That’s why I’m not thinking that the sensors are at fault.

What version of Diagbox are you using Bob?

Marc
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Marc,
I am using Version 7.57. The complete kit was purchased from EasyDiagnostics in May this year and installed by Jim remotely on my Sony Laptop running Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

The fault I have is rather strange. I have two C5s Both 2007 Facelift model 2.0HDI Exclusive. A Blue Estate and a Red Hatchback. I have been using the Lexia to help diagnose various minor problems with my recently purchased Red car. I used the principle of comparison fault finding. This enabled my to sort out the problems one by one. At some point in the process I noticed that the Blue car had developed a fault with the front parking sensors whereby they did not detect an object until the car was right up to the object instead of several feet away. I lived with this for a while until I had time to investigate. What I did was to check the operation of the front sensors on the Red car ( which were working correctly) to give me a benchmark to check against the Blue car. Surprise surprise I then noticed that the red car had developed exactly the same fault.

I have since been trying to understand what is going on. I have not changed any parameters on either car, only carried out various tests including checking the functionality of the parking sensors.

I agree with you that I do not think the sensors are faulty but just somehow configured incorrectly. Identical faults on two identical cars after connecting Lexia is too much of a coincidence.

By the way I believe I have Navidrive RT4

Bob
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, got it - it does sound like the problem might be with the VCI causing some corruption to the ECU when diagnosed. And as you say, as this has only occurred since you have connected up the VCI, it is likely to be the common factor.

You can try a fix - what you need to do is run the diagnostic on one of the cars, then access the AAS ECU (Parking Assisance ECU) and make a note of the existing parameters for reference on each screen where applicable so you know what was there.

Then come out of Diagbox / Lexia. Launch Diagbox again, but this time select Peugeot as the marque, which should launch PP2000 (Peugeot Planet 2000). You'l need to manually select the 407 model - as this has the same AAS ECU. If you change one of the parameters say from Front and rear to Rear only, then apply the change, that should overwrite erroneous data. Then once it has been applied, go back in and change the setting back to the Front & Rear option as it was and apply the change again.

Come out of the system and disconnect and hopefully this will have written in the correct configuration file. It can't be any worse than it is, so maybe worth a try.

Marc
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Thanks Marc I will give it a try. I will let you know how I get on.

Do you ever sleep?

Bob.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I get the same Graphic Functionality Not Available message if I use my underpowered Netbook and put it down to lack of graphics power as I have no such problems using Diagbox on my more powerful Win7 Acer Laptop.
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Hi Marc,

I tried doing as you suggested but without success so far.

Using Diagbox/Citroen/Lexia there are only two configuration parameters available in the Parking Aid ECU, namely 'Presence of Front Sensors' which is set to 'Yes' and 'Gearbox Type' which is set to 'Automatic'. All the other Parking Aid parameters seem to be set in the BSI ECU Configuration.

When connected via Diagbox/Peugoet/PP2000 the software only communicates with the BSI and Engine/Gearbox ECUs. I cannot access the Parking Aid ECU at all. Checking the BSI Configuration parameters does show that the BSI knows that the Parking Aid ECU is 'present' but that is just a parameter telling the BSI what should be there.

The main feature of this problem is that it appears to be incorrect interpretation of the parking sensor information. I do believe that the front sensors are working correctly as the pop-up window appears on the screen at the correct time and the screen changes (although incorrectly) at the point when the warning triangle would normally appear. How this fault can be created solely by carrying out a diagnostic test is a mystery so far. The only common factor is that I have two cars with the same fault created the same way.

That is all I have been able to determine so far but I seem to have hit an 'impasse' trying to communicate with the Parking Aid ECU using PP2000.

Bob.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, just so I understand this - when you run a Global Test, are you saying it is not detecting any ECUs apart from the BSI and the Engine / Gearbox ECUs? Can you clarify?

Marc
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Marc,

I believe I now know why I was having difficulty running a Global Test for a Peugeot 407. I have been checking the program operation off-line to familiarise myself with the operation using Peugeot vehicles. I have found the following:-

Having selected Peugeot as a 'Marque' and subsequently selected 407 as 'Type' I then had a choice of Diagbox or PPS. Assuming that I was interrogating a Peugeot vehicle I selected PPS. This took me to Peugeot Planet 2000. This offered me a choice of 'ECU Configuration and Services' or 'Downloading'. If I selected 'ECU Configuration and Services' the only option offered was 'Test by ECU' which only showed 'Built in System Interface' or 'Engine/Gearbox'. No sign of 'Global Test' option. This seemed to be a dead end as far as changing parameters was concerned.

I then tried the other option after selecting 407 as vehicle type namely, Diagbox. Much to my relief this showed the whole works as such as 'Delivery of Vehicle to Customer', Repair', 'Fault Finding' and 'Maintenance'. On selecting 'Fault Finding' the Global Test option appeared. Hopefully I am now on the right track and will be able to make the changes you suggest to attempt to resolve the Front Parking Sensor problem.

The wonders of modern technology

I will report back when I have tried this on the car.

Bob.
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Marc,

I have now spent several hours on this strange problem with Front Parking Sensors. I have been testing on one car only as if I screw something up I still have transport.

I have tried to make a configuration change to the Parking ECU when testing as a 407 but unfortunately the only parameter available is the gearbox type. This is set to 'Automatic' which is correct. If I attempt to change the gearbox type thinking that the config file might be rewritten if I change it, I get a message stating that it is not allowed.
When testing as C5 Facelift there are two configurable options available, Gearbox Type and Presence of Front Sensors. I can change the the presence of front sensors to 'yes' or 'no' when testing as C5 but this has no effect on the fault. I have also tried changing the BSI parameters controlling the presence of various configurations of parking sensors. This also made no difference.

If I check the Identification of the ECU under the two options (407 or C5) I get the following:-
407. Calibration File Number 96 545 184 80
.......Edition of Calibration 255.00
.......Software Edition 02.132
C5. Software Version 02.84
All other details are the same between ECU Identifications.
I assume that the software versions are the same because 84 in hexadecimal is the same as 132 in decimal.

I have looked at every possible parameter in all the ECUs and they all tally with the configuration of the vehicle tested.
I would like to properly test the operation of the front sensors but this brings me back to my original post in that I am not able to display the contents of a graphical file captured. MikeT has stated that it does work on his laptop but not on his netbook so the functionality seems to be there, perhaps a service is not installed to allow graphics to be displayed on my laptop.

You stated in one of your early posts that 'there is a known fault with some software versions of Lexia that can leave the parking assistance ECU incorrectly configured that causes issues with the front sensors only'. Have you any idea how this manifests itself and was there a cure?

This has left me 'knee deep in finger nails' for the moment. I would be tearing my hair out but don't have much left to spare.

That is the story so far but I am running out of options.

Bob
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so 2 separate issues here:

1) Regarding the graphics - If your laptop / netbook is underpowered with sparse resources you will have issues - many of these 'light' systems are seriously underpowered, have little memory and utilise system RAM for graphics memory. So it is very likely it does not have enough welly to capture graphics as Mike says. Also with any other Windows processes running (i.e. Windows Update), this can further seriously eat into system resources. Stop any antivirus, windows update processes and any other bloatware running to see if you can free up resources. It's another reason why we recommend a dedicated diagnostics laptop without any anti virus or other non-essential software installed as it is not needed - especially as there is no need to connect to the internet.

2) Back to the main issue, I did mention a possible Diagbox upgrade to see if that will provide a cure. You are running 7.57. I would suggest trying a sequential update to 7.58 first - apply that and restart, then see if that makes any difference by trying to change a parking assistance ECU parameter - (make sure you are applying the configuration change using the cogwheel to make the change, then wait for confirmation of the change, then come out and close Diagbox down, switch off ignition and wait 3-4 minutes, then go back in and try putting the configuration back to what it was, apply the change and come out, switch ignition off etc., wait a while, then go and try parking assistance system again.

Failing that I would try the updates only as far as 7.62. See if these make any difference. Remember to apply the update, launch Diagbox, then restart after the update.

Marc
Bob_V

Post by Bob_V »

Thanks for your suggestions Marc.

With reference to my laptop, it is a dedicated Sony Vaio specifically used for Lexia/Diagbox. The spec is as follows:- Operating System is Windows 7 Pro 32bit. CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.80GHz. Ram is 4GB DDR2 Dual Dram (More than a 32 bit OS can address). Graphics is Nvidia Gforce 8600M GPU with 256MB of dedicated graphics memory. Screen is 15.4 WXGA (1280x800). This should be more than enough oomph to run Diagbox. Could the graphics problem be something as simple as screen resolution or possibly Graphics Driver. I will experiment.

As far as the Front Parking Sensor problem goes I will try the various updates sequentially to see the effect. One question though, where is the best place to source these updates? My kit from EasyDiagnostics only included updates to 7.57 which is the version I am currently using. I do have the disks for version 8 but my cars are 2007 model so as I understand not really suitable.

Bob
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, I would be concerned about your video memory - that's really not a lot to be honest and unless it is using shared system RAM on top of that, it really will be insufficient I suspect. Also the minimum CPU required for Diagbox is 2GHz - so you are a little below the minimum there Bob.

As for the updates, I will send you a PM - check there shortly.

Marc