Weird BSI Faults with a Citroen Jumpy (Dispatch) 120 hdi l1h1 2008

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isn0gud
My Cars: Citroen Jumpy (Dispatch) 120 hdi l1h1 2008

Weird BSI Faults with a Citroen Jumpy (Dispatch) 120 hdi l1h1 2008

Post by isn0gud »

Hi guys,

I'm seeking your advice as I (good engineering knowledge but nothing in depth about cars) as well as my mechanic at a local garage in cornwall is stuck with following issue:
My converted campervan Citroen Jumpy (Dispatch) 120 hdi l1h1 2008 from Austria got seasick while crossing to the UK.
Things started with power steering faulty coming up and now I'm having a completly confused on-board computer with randomly flashing lights and beeps. Changing the bsi didn't help a thing.

Find below the diaries of a shipwrecked camper. I'm happy with every hint but will eventually have to bring it to Citroen who will charge me a fortune.

Cheers,
Markus

ECU Problems
18.8.2018 golitha falls power steering faulty, ps hard
19.8.2018 esp lights flashing. then esp, brakes, revmeter & coolant temp off, ventilation off
20.8.2018 M R Autos Garage
1. diagnosis gives error codes from different ecus, e.g. air suspension
2. power steering ecu plugged off. no effect.
3. car electrician with diagbox: power steering not reachable, engine fuse box must be faulty
4. second hand fusebox from ebay installed. first test rideby mechanic all working. power steering lamp on but ps working. second test ride by owner. lamps on not startable until 20 tries. same error as before.
23.8.2018 tintagel static errors: anti pollution system faulty. power steering faulty, and not working but ps 1 time of ~4 starts working. random errors: esp, abs, speedo, revmeter, vent
HydroFreak
My Cars: Citroen C5 2007 Hdi 2.0 Estate

Re: Weird BSI Faults with a Citroen Jumpy (Dispatch) 120 hdi l1h1 2008

Post by HydroFreak »

Did you interrogate each ECU to see what these 'random errors' referred to?
isn0gud

Post by isn0gud »

My mechanic did, as I have no diagnostics tool. So I cannot tell you exactly. It had lots of fault codes (i think most are about communication. I recall U0121 lost abs comm. Or some codes with air suspension etc. What seems to work porperly). he was able to clear them except power steering, as it is not possible to communicate with this ecu
HydroFreak
My Cars: Citroen C5 2007 Hdi 2.0 Estate

Post by HydroFreak »

If you can provide a good level of detail from the diagnostic sessions, you might have a better chance of receiving helpful feedback here. When I do a diagnostic session I make sure that I record or print the results down to the greatest level of detail for analysis later. Personally I wouldn't have much faith in a mechanic who didn't do the same. Hopefully he has the data available for you.
isn0gud

Post by isn0gud »

I don't know how many garages provide their customers with printed diagnosis reports, but mine didn't. Sorry, that's all I have to offer.

Is that an 'could be everything issue' or can anybody relate that with a specific fault? E.g. wiring, power steering ecu, second hand bsi also faulty etc.

Thanks
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Random faults involving mutiple ECUs are often caused by wiring faults, possibly water ingress at a connector, or a corroded fuse.

Check all of the electrical connectors that you can find, and all of the fuses. You will probably need more time with a Diagbox to get a better catalog of issues. Maybe (if you are keeping the camper) it would be worthwhile getting your own.

I would probably concentrate on the steering ECU issue to start with, as it appears to be a permanent fault, either loss of power to the steering ECU or communication bus issues.
isn0gud

Post by isn0gud »

Thank you, I will try that!
I already ordered an ELM327 bluetooth diag tool (TorquePro). Let's see if that is any good.
isn0gud

Post by isn0gud »

Hi guys,

It's been a while so I just wanted to let you know what was the fault as it is fixed by now:
The power steering ecu that's inside the ps pump went mad (aluminium pump all corroded so probably water inside electronics) and a new one solved the problem. That did cost me about 350 gbp for an exchange unit + labour.
If you're having that issue try disconnecting the smaller ps pump communication 2 wire plug. When done so ps is not working but no other faults caused by a messed up communication bus will come up. Pump is located right in front of the front wheel where your steering wheel is and a bit hard to reach from below.

Thanks or the support! I hope that's of use for somebody else!

Cheers,
Markus