Diagnostic Tool for Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI 2004

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

exadra2011
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI from 2004

Diagnostic Tool for Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI 2004

Post by exadra2011 »

I am interested in buying a diagnostic tool for my old Citroen but I am struggling in what one to choose while keep the cost affordable and not compromising on quality.

This article http://blog.obd2shop.co.uk/how-to-choos ... n-peugeot/ is a good eye opener and seems that this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222647299471 fits as a good one to buy, but is too much expensive, specially when taking in consideration that my car as a value of £300 to maybe max £500 pounds, plus that for now I only need the tool to ensure that my car really needs another Air Flow Sensor...

Is there any cheaper Lexia package that works perfectly on my car and with good hardware quality?

What sellers do you recommend that have quality and good support?

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Diagnostic Tool for Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI 2004

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ignoring the computer (which needs to be running something like Windows 7 32bit), the Lexia equipment supplied by Easy Diagnostics is very good. It has the full chipset (which means it can handle modern Citroens), and they do have a good aftercare service.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60112
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
exadra2011

Post by exadra2011 »

Thanks for the advice @Hell_Razor5543 but this a way to expensive for an old car like mine...

I just have this car and I am not planning in buying a new one in the years to come, thus wondering if Isn't there an alternative that just works with old cars like mine?

Anyway and just out of curiosity why is this http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/shop/4 ... 7/11295666 missing some cables when compared with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222647299471?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In a nutshell, and to keep it simple, Diagbox / Lexia (Software) and the hardware (VCI) are clones of the original equipment used in PSA dealerships so can work on a variety of Citroen, Peugeot and DS vehicles. The main difference it that these have far more functionality and capabilities than a generic code reader or scanner.

These can read live data, perform many tests and also provide more detailed diagnostic information than a generic scanner can. So you can read up yourself on the capabilities, but the question is what you really want to get out of it. If you do a lot of your own repairs, then you may find the troubleshooting very useful as let's face it most cars 2001 on have increased there reliance on electronics - so is really an essential tool if you do your own repairs or to save time on dealer diagnostic charges.

They are not the easiest tools to use for the beginner - don't expect any manuals or support except from Fora like this and the web - they were never intended for the public to use without training.

If you only occasionally use it then you would have to weigh up the long-term cost savings over the purchase - but it is an investment and can be used on other PSA vehicles.

As for the cables issue - you should have everything you need in the Easy diagnostics kit - don't rely on generic web pictures of kits as they invariably include other cables and modules that are NOT included. A couple of the older wires are for the pre OBD vehicles that use the old round connection interface - but that should be included.

There is a discount offered to Forum members from Easydiagnostics should you decide to make a purchase of one of these - other suppliers are available of course. Not all kits are equal and some of the cheaper ones are not fully compliant with newer full CAN vehicle architecture. Link below for procedure.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=60113
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have am Easy Diagnostics clone, and (over the years) it has saved me more money than it cost me (for example, enabling Cruise Control on my C5 estate). I have also been able to use it to help out others (enabling DRLs on a C5 X7, configuring a CD multiplayer in a C3, and so on). You should always be careful with it, as (if you don't know what you are doing) it is possible to brick the ECus.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
exadra2011

Post by exadra2011 »

So considering that would be willing to spend around £100 it seems to me that this http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/shop/4 ... 7/11295666 is not the latest hardware available, the boards do not have golden edge and seems that is not revision C like for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-CHIP-RE ... 1751630895
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, we know that Easydiagnostic kits sold today are the full-chip kits - I have mine from them a few years ago and that is the latest revision. You'll find a lot of the ebay ones are not full kits - it'a a bit of a lottery - but the ED ones are and are backed with UK support....

The Diagbox software supplied will contain the encapsulated Lexia (Citroen / DS) & Peugeot Planet 2000 (Peugeot) software. It will launch the appropriate version for your vehicle which given the model and year will be Lexia. If you do go ahead, Leave it at Diagbox 7.02 or 7.58 tops - don't upgrade past that for your car.

Also as mentioned, you will need a laptop - ideally one that you don't really use for anything else. It will need Windows XP or better Windows 7 (Both 32 Bit cversion of the Operating system - don't install it on a 64 bit operating system or it won't work for the Lexia / PP2000 software. Make sure you have lots of disk space and at least 2Gb RAM minimum - the faster the processor the better.

Marc
fastjet
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 mk1

Post by fastjet »

Hi exadra2011.

I recently purchased a Lexia 3 kit from easysdiagnostics and I think that it is worth the money. Easydiagnostics were very helpful and will help out if you need it.
It has been a very useful tool whilst sorting out my C5 (2004). The kit seems well made and so far has worked every time, although you do need to play with it for a while to get a feel for what you can do with it. The global scan function is very useful on the first use as it gives you an overall picture of your cars health, flagging up any error codes. Personally I am glad that I spent a bit more as I think that it will last. Hope this helps your decision.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you want to do it for minimum expense, and take a little more risk, I got one of these from China last year, it is full chip, and seems to work correcctly, but the software installation instructions are just a youtube video taken from the internet.
exadra2011

Post by exadra2011 »

My main problem with buying anything from easydiagnostics is that they are not a secure platform, all their website does not use the secure communication protocol https and I cannot find them on ebay or amazon...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They process everything via PayPal, not their own site, so they are secure in that they use PayPal to do the processing:-

Once you have items in the cart and go to checkout, you are taken to the PayPal website that uses https and secure processing. They then just authorise the transaction as approved back to the seller’s website, so you don’t actually provide any card details to EasyDiagnostics itself.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Communicate with Marc first, as there is a procedure that should get you a discount with Easy Diagnostics.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
exadra2011

Post by exadra2011 »

They process everything via PayPal, not their own site, so they are secure in that they use PayPal to do the processing:-
As a Software Developer what I can say to you is that is only 100% secure when used from a site that also uses https.

Is out of scope to make you understand it but once that even lots of Software Developers have an hard time understanding the technical details of how truly security should work on the web it will even more difficult for normal users.

But if anyone really want to try understand why an http page is not secure for any type of e-commerce transaction or access to other restricted areas of a site than this article may help to shed some light on it. https://www.troyhunt.com/im-sorry-you-f ... important/

NOTE: for the owner of easydiagnostics site -> SSL certificates are now free https://letsencrypt.org/, thus they only need to task the developer to install it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying and it is a good idea to secure websites anyway - I don't think you are understanding me - you are TRANSFERRED to the HTTPS PayPal site for the transaction - outside of easydiagnostics, and are then transferred back once the secure processing is done.

See here:
The PayPal Standard Add-On
This is where PayPal Standard comes into great use. Here’s what happens when submitting a payment through a form using the PayPal Standard add-on:

The user fills out the form that contains their total price.
The pricing and user is then redirected to PayPal’s website to complete the purchase.
After completion, the user and payment completion are then directed back to your website.
Using this method, no payments are being processed directly on your site, and therefore an SSL is not required. Since all sensitive information is being entered directly to PayPal, there is no need for an SSL to encrypt this sensitive data.
You don't need to make me understand - I have over 35 years in ICT. But if you have a problem with it I suggest you take it up with PayPal or shop somewhere you are more comfortable with - you have a choice after all.

Marc
exadra2011

Post by exadra2011 »

I don't think you are understanding me - you are TRANSFERRED to the HTTPS PayPal site for the transaction - outside of easydiagnostics, and are then transferred back once the secure processing is done.
Yes I completely understand you....

And your reply is exactly what I was referring to when I said that even Software Developers have trouble in understanding the implications of not having an 100% https site when dealing with e-commerce.

I am a professional Software Developer with a keen interest for Security in the web and I have experience in e-commerce sites and Mobile e-commerce apps for big retailers of the high street.

Anyway thanks for trying to help :)