Getting the hang of Diagbox

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TaximanRonnie
My Cars: C5 2.0 Hdi 163 Sat Nav Estate
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Getting the hang of Diagbox

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Hi, new to the forum and just purchased a copy of Diagbox. Eventually managed to get it all loaded and working on an old laptop running Windows XP so will be more or less standalone in that respect. Have had it connected to my C5 Estate 163 Nav 2010, found it worked under the X7 variant. Came up with a shed load of fault codes, some I knew about others I did not! Cleared them all off but some returned even just running not driving.I appreciate these queries may have been answered elsewhere and if so somebody might be able to point me in the right direction. Understand the additive 'counter' on the fuel filler needs to be reset but cannot find how? Also know that the DPF is partially (possibly fully) blocked. Attempted a forced regeneration but that failed.
The main faults showing (returned)
P2141, P0341, P0488, P1498, U1113.
Believe some are to do with air flow meter, Camshaft sensor (which was replaced sometime ago) and EGR valve. Do get Engine Management Faulty come up on the dash as well as Emission Control Faulty, along with Service light and EML on although some faults came straight back EML has not yet illuminated.

I also get a 'Failure to Communicate' with ESP/ABS ECU?

Any help / ideas appreciated.

Also anybody local who might need to use Diagbox happy to help, although as yet I don't even have what I call a basic knowledge, just trying things but NOT changing any settings yet. Not looking to add to my problems [-X
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Fuel Filler Counter Reset

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Hi, new to the forum, C5 X7 (I think, it’s a 2010 C5 Estate 2.0 Hdi 160 Sat Nav, RPO12124) and have invested in Diagbox software. Loaded onto old laptop with XP 32bit, eventually after a number of issues, but was able to run a global test. Load of error codes, some I knew about others I did not, but the main reason I got the Diagbox was in order to 1) reset the fuel filler (additive) counter and 2) do a forced regeneration on the DPF. Cleared all the faults, went into the ‘Repair’ but could not see how to reset the counter? Went into DPF, tried a regen but after about 10 seconds came up with ‘Regeneration Fail’ error message.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.

Did post yesterday in the Diagnostics section but this area seems to get more views / replies

Also willing to make the Diagbox available to others if close to me, Cranbrook Kent TN17 post code.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 25 Mar 2018, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This post has been moved to your original Topic, please don't create duplicate posts.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Fuel Filler Counter Reset

Post by jgra1 »

Hi Ronnie can't help but nice to know of another TN postcode x7 163 nearby ;)

Is it hydractive or coil sprung?
John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Fuel Filler Counter Reset

Post by GiveMeABreak »

TaximanRonnie wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 11:17 Hi, new to the forum, C5 X7 (I think, it’s a 2010 C5 Estate 2.0 Hdi 160 Sat Nav, RPO12124) and have invested in Diagbox software. Loaded onto old laptop with XP 32bit, eventually after a number of issues, but was able to run a global test. Load of error codes, some I knew about others I did not, but the main reason I got the Diagbox was in order to 1) reset the fuel filler (additive) counter and 2) do a forced regeneration on the DPF. Cleared all the faults, went into the ‘Repair’ but could not see how to reset the counter? Went into DPF, tried a regen but after about 10 seconds came up with ‘Regeneration Fail’ error message.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.

Did post yesterday in the Diagnostics section but this area seems to get more views / replies

Also willing to make the Diagbox available to others if close to me, Cranbrook Kent TN17 post code.

First, welcome to the Forum, but please take a few minutes to read the AUP. You only posted your original query yesterday. This site is run by volunteers, with time given freely, so please don't expect instant replies.

I'm assuming (as you don't confirm it in your post), that you have actually topped up the additive? If yes, then you need to access the Injection ECU to carry out that procedure and follow the instructions. Locate the relevant ECU from the global test, going into the ECU should present another menu from where you should see options for resetting the additive counter. NOTE: don't do this if you have not actually refilled the tank.

If you cannot do a forced regeneration, it is likely, barring a malfunction of one of the components, that the ECU has prevented this from occurring because the conditions for dong so cannot be met. This includes amongst others, the filter soot / clogging levels have exceeded the levels where a regeneration can be undertaken - in other words it's too full. If this is the case it will need to be cleaned (you can have them deep cleaned at some Halfords Centres now) - they do varying levels of cleaning, depending on the state of the filter.

As for your codes originally listed, I'll post these up separately when I've checked into them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Re: Getting the hang of Diagbox

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Hi Marc, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I seemed a bit impatient but just wondered if more people viewed the ‘standard’ section rather than going into the Diagnostics section.
Anyway, yes the additive has been topped up and it was because the ‘Service’ light remained on after being reset by an independent did I research and find out about ‘the counter’ I will check that out tomorrow when I get a bit of time.
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Post by TaximanRonnie »

John, in answer to your question it is coil sprung
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi Ronnie, and :welc: to the French Car Forum. I will not be able to help you with your problems, but give it time and somebody will.

When I log into the forum I click on the "Unread posts" button at the top right. That will show all of the posts that have been created or updated. I have a marker point, as it were, that I will click back to. I will read all posts, but I do not always answer them (especially if I am not able to help).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

TaximanRonnie wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 17:15 Hi Marc, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I seemed a bit impatient but just wondered if more people viewed the ‘standard’ section rather than going into the Diagnostics section.
Anyway, yes the additive has been topped up and it was because the ‘Service’ light remained on after being reset by an independent did I research and find out about ‘the counter’ I will check that out tomorrow when I get a bit of time.
No worries, just be careful of changing anything as there is no ‘undo’ option, but the reset option should be clear.

Marc
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Hi, thought I would give an update. Had some spare time this am so plugged in the laptop and run a Global check. Came up with a couple of faults, again! mainly that 1) Not communicating with ABS/EBS ECU and 2) Air Flow meter.
Cleared them off, managed to find my way into the additive and reset that as well as the pump ECU therefore it now knew it had additive and should operate correctly. I was then able to go into the DPF and undertake a forced regeneration which actually went off without a hitch. So I do believe it failed previously because it was not registering any additive. Took it for a test drive and where previously if you accelerated to the red line the 'Anti Pollution Malfunction' and 'Engine Management Faulty' along with the 'Service' light coming on it now pulls like a train round to 4000 rpm through all the lower gears with no detrimental effect. No EML on, no faults registering yet but will monitor for any faults reappearing possibly the Air Flow Meter, we will see.
Also took the time to browse around the software and as I have a WI-FI printer within range when running the tests should be able to print things off in future.
Is there any way I can find out what my 'standard parameters' should be or do I accept what is showing on the diagnostics as the true setting?

Another couple of queries,
1 When I bought the car a couple of years ago the Cruise Control and Speed Limiting worked ok. The Speed Limiting still works fine but the Cruise Control will 'activate' but not engage? Would this possible be the 'Brake' switch I have seen mentioned, if so how would I recognise it
2 The Radio / Navigation unit does not appear to function correctly. Most times which ever 'button' I press I get the message "Navigation not Available' I understand this could be I don't have the disc, if that is how it operates but it comes up with that when I push any of the buttons, like phone, Set up etc?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was just about to post up the fault codes, but glad you have them cleared - as you can see, a lot of this will be associated with the emissions system - so once you have reset the additive and it is happy, then it will come out of any backup mode and settle down.

To answer some of your queries:
Is there any way I can find out what my 'standard parameters' should be or do I accept what is showing on the diagnostics as the true setting?
No - that is why the system interrogates the vehicle ECUs directly and uses the VIN code information to determine the correct systems fitted at factory. What is shown there is accurate (as currently fitted to the vehicle) and has to be for the system to work as designed.
1 When I bought the car a couple of years ago the Cruise Control and Speed Limiting worked ok. The Speed Limiting still works fine but the Cruise Control will 'activate' but not engage? Would this possible be the 'Brake' switch I have seen mentioned, if so how would I recognise it
Any problem with either engine / injection or ABS /ESP ECUs will disengage or prevent the Crusie from operating as a safety measure. As you mentioned preoviously the ABS / ESP ECU that is the likely suspect. Are you still getting a fault code for this - if so post it up and I will have a look for you. Also, I'm sure you kow, but before cruise will engage a speed has to be set (minimum 4th gear and at least 30 MPH - but you will get a warning saying "Impossible - no speed set" or similar.
2 The Radio / Navigation unit does not appear to function correctly. Most times which ever 'button' I press I get the message "Navigation not Available' I understand this could be I don't have the disc, if that is how it operates but it comes up with that when I push any of the buttons, like phone, Set up etc?
I will need your VIN code (send it via Private Message) to determine the exact system / Head Unit you have. I need to clarify which one it is before responding. Each is different.

Marc
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Marc, thanks for the response.
1) great, so if I take a print off with the standard parameters it will give me a reference if anything goes wrong in future?
2) do not get an error code as such on the ABS/ESP ECU just on a Global Test it returns ‘Failed to Communicate’ message
3) will pm VIN either later tonight when I get home or tomorrow

Thanks for all you help

Ronnie
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Point 1) I think I may have misunderstood you. I think you are referring to the live data measurements. Basically these are split into standard parameter measurements and custom ones, from which you can choose up to about 6 or so from a list depending on what it is you are measuring. These will just provide you with live data.

Point 2) Ok, so that fact that the diagnostic interface can not communicate with the ABS ECU, would indicate that either your software version is too early or needs a firmware update, or doesn’t have all the hardware in the VCI to communicate (an issue with the C5 X7 and some other full CAN vehicles with non full chip Lexia kits). So as it cannot interrogate the ECU, it cannot report the error codes, so that is why your cruise has been deactivated. I also suspect you may have an ABS ESP light on the dash. So you’ll need to get that resolved.

If you can let us know what version of Diagbox you are using and how old your VCI is too that may help.

Marc
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Hi Marc
The guy I bought the Diagbox software off on EBay after checking with him told me I needed Rev C for the C5 which is what I bought. It states on his listing
Full Board Lexia 3 Rev 3
Full Hardware Chipset
All Functions Supported
Original Diagbox Firmware
Supports S1279 Module Add On

When it is operating in the top right hand corner it shows v07.02

The VCI was bought with the software and it was new just this month, it has A.1281 Z
I have PSA Interface Checker and when I run that it shows:
Version, APPLI_XS_Fuji_P106138A V4.3.0@ACTIA 02.01.12
Reference, 921815C
I have clicked on the Select File box but not used it as also the Downloading Flash App box
I can provide all the numbers off the rear if necessary.

I have just gone back in and looked at the first report that was generated on the 23rd and it does reference the ABRASR:ABS / Traction Control?
Response Data: R6180966654288000039666542880FFFFFFFF0701FFFFFF00
State of ECU: ESP81
Reference 1: 9666542880
Reference 2:
Faults Present: 0

It is also recorded on a second report on the 24th exactly the same?

On the report of the 26th Although on the report it is referenced exactly the same in the INJ:Injection / Ignition amongst the faults is:
U1113; Intersystems CAN
Characterisation: absence of communication with ABS or ESP ECU
Variables associated with fault;
Battery Voltage, 14.56v
+IGN Status, Yes
Status of Power Relay, Yes
Main Relay Status, Yes
Engine Speed, 1632rpm
Mileage, 239057km
Vehicle Speed, 0kph
Accelerator Pedal Position, 11%

The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] (for Radio issues)
RPO 12124
TaximanRonnie
Previous French:
Renault Laguna
Peugeot 405

Post by TaximanRonnie »

Marc
Sorry that should have read:Full Board Lexia 3 Rev C
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so your Diagbox version may need an update - don't bother flashing firmware files directly - Diagbox will automatically do this as part of any update.

I suggest you upgrade to V7.58 first of all, as you currently have an early version installed.
Take a backup of your licence file (C:\AWROOT\BIN\FI\APPDIAG.SYS) and keep it safe. Then apply the updates.

If you need the udpates let me know - but ensure you follow the proper guidance on updating. Again, if you need this, just let me know.

Marc