Renault Clio timing belt and accessories

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franz10mp
My Cars: Clio Campus 3d 1.2 8V 60BHP

Renault Clio timing belt and accessories

Post by franz10mp »

Hi all,

I own a Renault Clio Hatchback 1.2 Campus 3d.

It is time to do some maintenance and change the timing belt and accessories as indicated in the maintenance booklet.

I received a quote of £190. How does that sound?

Thanks,

Franz
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Renault Clio timing belt and accessories

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You can get the timing belt kit from ECP currently for £60 after discount and a water pump for £30 after discount.

I would say £190 is a reasonable price to avoid the hassle of doing it yourself. Always a bit of a belt and braces job doing the water pump at the same time.

There are some excellent Clio maintenance videos from Autodoc which I posted up some time ago

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59097

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
franz10mp
My Cars: Clio Campus 3d 1.2 8V 60BHP

Post by franz10mp »

Thank you NewcastleFalcon for your reply. Do you strongly recommend to replace the water pump as well? If yes, why?

I ask this because the water pump is not mentioned in the maintenance booklet. What else would you recommend I change that is not mentioned in the maintenance booklet or that an MOT test would not point out?

Thanks,

Franz
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

franz10mp wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:40 Thank you NewcastleFalcon for your reply. Do you strongly recommend to replace the water pump as well? If yes, why?

I ask this because the water pump is not mentioned in the maintenance booklet. What else would you recommend I change that is not mentioned in the maintenance booklet?

Thanks,

Franz

Replacing the water pump is generally accepted advice, and for me a learn the hard way experience. I replaced the timing belt and pulleys on one of my cars a Vectra, and at the time the water pump was fine so I skipped that additional expense. 20,000 miles later the water pump pulley siezed, hideous smell of burning rubber and the timing belt fortunately just survived by the skin of its teeth and an AA recovery home thankfully.

While its dismantled for the timing belt its no extra effort to replace the water pump.
Not as good as the AutoDOC vids but here's the DIY Job on the Clio.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey