renault trafic non runner

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

renault trafic non runner

Post by john »

56 plate trafic

left the house and all was good, 2 minutes later coming to a junction i went from 3rd to 2nd and the engine died, i managed to get it restarted 2 or 3 times and all it did was idle rough (hunting) and stall after 5-10 seconds

tried again after work and it was still the same (didnt expect it to be any different), when i got it started I gave it some shoe about 2500-3000 and it still stalled, there are no error codes, when i did get it started i undid the fuel filler cap, the revs picked up but it still dies after a few seconds

any ideas?airlock perhaps?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: renault trafic non runner

Post by Zelandeth »

Bit hard to say without specific knowledge of the vehicle...but sudden refusal to run without any obvious error codes usually would have me looking at the crankshaft position sensor.

No signal from here will result in no spark (if applicable) or fuel injector pulses (assuming it will be direct injection on a 56 plate)...so no engine running. It's basically the heartbeat to which everything electronically is synchronised. Because in the absence of a signal most stuff just sits *waiting* for a signal, it often won't throw an error code.

The sensor is usually a hall effect sensor (like an ABS sensor) so sometimes all it will need is a clean. I've seen them work loose and just move too far from the crank pulley too.

Might be way side of the mark, but worth checking it's plugged in properly, is clean and secure before digging too deeply.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

so got a decent code reader (and finally got the van towed )

got the following codes

P0341-3 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE
P0190-A FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT LOW INPUT
P0100-B MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
P0105-6 BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT SIGNAL NOT PLAUSIBLE
P1882-0 P1882 fuel rail pressure sensor circuit
P1880-D
P1882-9

quite a list eh? i wasnt sure when these all appeared as the EML never came on it did run, so, a full charged battery, fresh diesel and i cleared the codes to reveal just 1

P0190-A FUEL PRESSURE SOLENIOD VALVE CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

so i am now not sure what to do as i really no longer need the van but ive wont get much for a van if its not running
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
roger_dodger
My Cars: Scenic XMOD

Post by roger_dodger »

Fuel pump failed? Not sure what type of pump it is on these, but if it's an electric pump it may have failed - the fault code seems to describe a low fuel pressure situation.
-------------------------------
Renault Scenic XMOD
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

thats what i was thinking, tried to start it at the weekend with a fully charged battery and still nothing, it did (for around 0.5 sec) sound like it was going to catch butit didnt, im probably gonna try some sure start (or similar) just to see if it does actually start, that should rule out any sensors

if it is the fuel pump fors off to the scrapies
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar