no keys

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

no keys

Post by citroen7 »

I have just acquired a mk1 megane coupe cabriolet which has no keys and the steering lock is on ,how can i get the steering lock off without the key and is it possible to swap the ecu and matching key from a similar car with the same engine ? Renault want a fortune and it could take 2/3 weeks plus they want to see the tax book, i really dont want to go to that expense only to find the engine is no good, any advice most welcome!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: no keys

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's anything like PSA cars, the engine ECU, Transponder card key/ fob and the main computer (I think Renault call their BSI a UCH) will be matched and coded together requiring a replacement of all three. So it might actualy be cheaper to prove ownership and get a replacement key from the dealer after all.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

There is a way to undo the steering lock but it will likely cause damage to the steering column. Im not going to post it here as its step 2 in stealing a car. If you'd like it explained please pm me.

Be under no illusion though its either a lot of work or you can do it the fast way but are about 90% likely to wreck the column.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Before you cough up the dealer price try the locksmiths, many of them are now equipped to make and programme coded car keys.
If you can find the original code number so much the better, have a rummage around any paperwork/handbooks that came with the car, owners often keep the key code scribbled down in the handbook or other stuff.
Here's an example: http://www.lockmanuk.com/?gclid=CIr2jOH ... 7QodHcEHNw

Don't take that as a recommendation I've not used that company myself. The last time I had one done was here at home by a guy trading as Jock the Lock.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think your original plan of acquiring keys locks and ecus from a scrapped car is sensible, if you can find the required information.
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

got hold of a matching ecu,bsi and key fob along with an ignition barrel which i managed to fit without breaking the steering lock! remote locking and everything else works but immobiliser not going from fast flashing to slow so wont start i am going to leave it overnight and then try to get the code to bypass the immobiliser,at least now i can see what works i have even got new glass for £20 and the soft top woks fine so i think worth fixing for some late summer fun!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just search for Renault immo bypass on ebay, there are plenty of emulators especially for early ones.
Is it an IR or RF key ?
There are also plenty of programs online that can generate start codes, on some models you can use the central locking button to input the code to allow it to start, this has to be repeated on every start