An extra one for Renault!

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickeymoon

Re: An extra one for Renault!

Post by mickeymoon »

Ask a Citroen fan if they'd like a Renault, and you'll get an answer along the lines of "nah, they're a bit dull, just a car".

Ask a Citroen fan if they'd like a Renault Avantime or Vel Satis, and yes, I bet nearly all of us would - they're "interesting"..
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Here's a couple in front off my house well before I bought it, though the house was in the same condition!
Attachments
voit.jpg
voiture.jpg
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

We seem to have had a fairly even spread between Pugs and Citroens, at the moment we have one of each (and a Ford lol) but in general I would suggest we have Peugeot for the everyday mundane job of being a reliable semi-modern car whereas the Xantia is going to have more of a weekend toy kind of usage although I expect it to be just as reliable. I would consider an older Renault in the same role albeit less reliable IMO, I like the gadgets they pack in to the more run of the mill stuff too but that also equates to more potential for trouble too :/
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I owned an early Scenic a couple of years ago. A "Y" reg. Is that 2000? I think it is, it was a cracking car only problem it was a base model with the 1.4 engine, no sunroof or aircon but lovely to drive. When I bought the C5 last week the place had a 1.9 diesel Monaco with leather and all the toys for about £850 I think. If I hadn't bought the Citroen I would have considered that.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

Im between a rock and hard place on this one renaults are without a doubt a son of a bitch to work on they are designed for the dealers with special tools knoweledge ,items like replacing the rear discs where other makes just replace the discs with renault you need the bearings,press kit and the ABS rings = more cost hidden menus in the software i could go into the Al4 /DPO gearbox saga but having said that i bought a Modus because i had 2 spine opps and needed a car that was easy to get in and out of ,i did not do any research prior to buying it but did afterwards only to find that if i need to change a bulb i have to take the front of the car off and the like ,i was going to shoot my self for buying it when came to forums like this and saw the long lists of problems but decided to modify a few things on it so it was easier to work on ,i built up a knoweldge bank of how to videos off youtube and a list of parts and prices and parts commonality from Ebay , so far the bigest outlay for parts was £54 for a pair of wish bones .

But having read a long list of faults on the Modus /+other Renaults of what can go wrong and what frquently does i do have to say that i started out hating this little car but in the 2 + years iv had it its never refused to start in any weather and is as reliable as sin of course i had to modify a few things but for a 2005 french automatic with 55000 + on the clock everything still works as it should and i never get below 30mpg around town ,it has good head room and of course it full of cubby holes i can see why people like some of the French features on Renaults that other vehicles just dont have ,the only rel problem i have is im old school and belive a vehicle should be designed to be worked on if needed and you should not need special tools but then i was used to working on vehicles in the 60s/70s/80s when you could work on them ,

But as all cars now days are going down the same route i suppose i would give Renault a shout so in these days sealed for life use once throw away service parts ,Acres of recycled black plastic under the bonnet and guess how you get to the front bolt on the wishbones i think i would buy a Renault again ,jeez iv said it never thought i would !
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

AH yes Citroen i bought a 2ltr estate with the hydrobolic suspension , it had the unique design of having the handbrake on the front wheels ,anyway i went to an auto paint store to pick up paint their carpark had a slope with the store at the bottom of it while i was waiting there was an almighty crash and the building shook ,i commented that dickhead forgot to put the parking brake on went outside to see my citronen in the wall not much damage to the car but the wall was cracked ,
I later learned that it was a common problem because if the brake pedal was not pressed when appling the handbrake the discs cool down and the car rolls down the hill , that was the first and last time i bought a Citrone !