new car

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: new car

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'm not really sure what would have been original, but generally whatever size/terminal configuration will fit in the available space. I think the most common sizes are 096 and 075 so maybe see if one of those will fit in the space & get a mid-range item. On something this age a tip-top battery isn't quite as important as it is on, say, a C5. As long as it kicks out a few hundred amps to spin the starter with a bit in reserve to fire the ignition it'll be fine
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
hartfordwhalers
My Cars: 88 medallion

Post by hartfordwhalers »

I'm looking for all undercarriage and suspension parts right now
hartfordwhalers

can I do headers and a straight pipe for exhaust? what's a good exhaust set up?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi

Parts, you will need to list them as there are a lot :)......are you after joints/bushes or in need of larger items ?

If the car came with a CaT I would stick to that as it help with back pressure, a middle box helps control the booming you get in the cabin, keep the exhaust manifolds and down pipe to the catalytic converter and work back from there. If no cat, use a middle box for sure, higher compression engines like back pressure. Remember you have a European spec engine there, not a big US V.8.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

I hate hearing about "back pressure" in reference to exhausts... it is a complete myth, the only positive pressure that's needed in any piston engine's exhaust system AFAIK is a well timed pressure wave travelling back up the pipe of a 2 stroke engine to effectively supercharge it by "stuffing" mixture back into the cylinder before the port closes.

In a 4 stroke engine, any positive pressure/pressure wave in the exhaust is going to be detrimental to the efficiency of the engine (hence why drag cars have open headers). Much more important in a performance/efficiency way is balancing the gas flow & timing of any pressure waves reflecting, by necessity of having an exhaust system, up to the exhaust ports, hence again why open headers/tuned tubular manifolds are used on performance engines.

The myth of back pressure I believe has come from the days of carb engines & boy racers fitting "big bore" free flowing exhausts without paying any mind to the increased flow or tuning the carb to cope with said flow, finding their engine actually loses power/runs hotter/burns valves etc & deciding the engine needed some kind of back pressure to run properly whereas if they'd attended to the inlet and jetting side of things they'd have found the gains they wanted, or at least not lost power while gaining the racy sound they were after...

More modern EFi systems with a lambda sensor are much more able to cope with a bit of better breathing from an opened up exhaust so less hassle to sort out, but older carb/mechanical injection and some EFi setups need careful tuning to match fuelling with flow to work properly.

In summary no 4 stroke engine needs "back pressure" but, to run anywhere approaching right, it does need the correct balance between inlet/exhaust flow rates and fuel delivery.

More air in/out will always need more fuel and as such I would be careful about modifying the exhaust system on the Renault without doing any supporting work/tuning on the inlet and fuelling side, the more restrictive the original exhaust is the more likely you'll need to make other changes if you run a straight pipe. This is not to say don't do it, I totally get what you're after with this car but DO make sure it's done right so you're not left at the side of the road sometime joining all the rest in bemoaning what a POS the old Frenchie is ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
hartfordwhalers

I'm after all undercarriage parts right now starting with front end
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

If you totally delete (or increase pipe size to much) the small restriction (which can increase the exhaust gas flow rate marginally IF the pipes are made equal) this may put the scavenging pulses out of sync with the exhaust valves lowering the effect within the downpipes (headers) to the CaT. After the cat I would agree there is little generated anyway as the pules have been flattened by the cat.
Over large headers {can} destroy the scavenging pulse due to to much expansion of the gases and cause a slowing of the gas flow speed.

Some restriction (?back pressure) is IMHO warranted in a NA engine
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

A bit of info for you about a guy who collects/restores the AMC/Renault models in the USA including your type.

Try contacting Terry Gale n Denver: @ ramblerranch.com

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/practica ... 7995755799

https://twitter.com/ramblerranch

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rambler- ... 0126199410
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider