Self steering (DANGEROUS HELP)

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mellorj
My Cars: Renault clio mk 2 1.5 dci (80) 54 plate (all standard)

Self steering (DANGEROUS HELP)

Post by Mellorj »

Hi, first of all i must stress it's not like a tracking issue

This first happened a few months ago. I was going around a left turn, then the car felt as though I'd hit the kerb and the car turned right while I had the steering wheel in left position. I thought oops I'm a bad driver lol, anyways from then on for about a week the steering was light like the car is not adjusting to the speed as it electric assisted power steering but sorted its self out after a week so thought nothing of it just one of them things.

Then today my partner was driving with our 1yo in car. Going round a right long turn the car throwing wheel left so partner counter steers and so on long story short Nearly had a head on crash and also ditch with the road been wet

Has anyone got any ideas as just throwing money at this will cost more then cars worth

Thanks for looking
Last edited by elma on 06 Jan 2017, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Readibility
Mellorj

Re: Self steering (DANGERIOUS HELP)

Post by Mellorj »

Sorry its a clio mk 2 1.5 dci (80) 54 plate all standard
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Self steering (DANGEROUS HELP)

Post by elma »

My Scenic does this if you drive it with the battery flat. It feels like the steering wheel is being shunted in the wrong direction and is really dangerous. I'd check your battery and alternator first as like you mentioned theres an electric motor in the steering which changes the weight of the steering according to speed. Failing that I'd suggest you find someone with Canclip, which is the Renalt diagnostics computer, and have the steering angle and speed sensors checked.

Considering the recent cold weather I expect your battery is on its way out. It could also be down to corroded electric terminals, Renault seem to have gone downhill since 2001 in terms of their electric connections.
elma

Post by elma »

Also have you checked your power steering fluid level? It's one of the fluids that is easily overlooked.

Have you any warnings on the info screen? When my Scenic plays up it will say Battery or Charging Problem on the display.
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

Hi james thanks for the reply i will check the alternator and battary so the car is booked in for a auto electrician to have a look next week so the car is not morning till then

It insane that the car is aloud to do that for that reason think if your on a nation spend road should be a safety recall for a thing like that
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

No warning lights or so on car perfrect expect for this and theres no power steering fluid bottle
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If what you say is true (low battery voltage = serious steering malfunction), then this is one for Watchdog. They have a substantial file on Clio (remember those bonnets flying open?).
Chris
elma

Post by elma »

It's very easy to check yourself with a multimeter if you'd like me to talk you through it.

Are you certain you've no power steering fluid bottle? My Renault has electric power steering but still has fluid. I'm aware that there are directly driven electric steering systems but I thought Renault used the motor only for assistance at the steering wheel on top of a traditional system.

I don't think it's really a recall situation with this, it's not something all Clios do. It's just a fault thats developed with years of use. Mine only does it if you drive it with a dead battery and the car defintely is not designed to have that done to it.
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

Hi james iv had scan though hands manual and nothing on power steering fluid
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

Hanynes manual, sorry for spelling its the auto correct on phone
elma

Post by elma »

It's usually a bottle with a little picture of a steering wheel on the lid. On a Mk2 clio you'd find it right next to the coolant bottle which is to the rear of the engine on the passenger side mounted directly to the bulkhead.
elma

Post by elma »

To be honest I don't expect you to have fluid loss, I expect power loss or a sensor fault but if you do have psf (power steering fluid) it's worth tracking down and checking.
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

Hi james this is a link to a image on google images
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clio+ ... DxqB-0M%3A
elma

Post by elma »

Wow, no reservoir on some of them, you must have a purely electric system. I've heard of these (generally not Renault) having overload protection circuits that can cut them out. If you're not confident with a multimeter I think you're on the right tracks booking an auto electrician. Theres many many reasons the overload could kick in if thats whats happening so best rule out the basic electrical stuff first.
Mellorj

Post by Mellorj »

Hi james my dads a ex mechanic but not been in trade for about 20 years he can do the mechanic side but one it get to computer side he doesn't even try as its a diffrent ball game and doesnt even know how to copy and paste lol

Anyways thanks for your help and will update when i know anything else

Thanks
Last edited by Mellorj on 08 Jan 2017, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.