2007 Renault megane 1.5dci starting problem when warm

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sp3rticus2016
My Cars: Renault megane

2007 Renault megane 1.5dci starting problem when warm

Post by Sp3rticus2016 »

Hello I have a 2007 Renault 1.5dci, when the car is warm it has trouble starting sometimes it doesn't unless I leave it until it gets cold. Then it starts perfect. It drives amazing when it's running but if I stall it or fill the car up it won't start. I've plugged it in and it says camshaft sensor. I've replaced both cam and crankshaft sensor and still no luck. Still comes up with camshaft sensor. When I removed the old one it was covered in fuel. Any help would be appreciated.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: 2007 Renault megane 1.5dci starting problem when warm

Post by ekjdm14 »

If the old cam sensor was indeed covered in fuel then the first thing to do is address the fuel leak (although a leak would be more likely to upset cold starting when it's sat a while, you still don't want fuel leaking everywhere). Then I would look at the wiring and see if anything has been damaged by the fuel ingress & I'd probably look at the readings from the coolant temperature sensor too, both when the car is cold and when it's hot (ideally when the fault is present) and see if the readings it gives are plausible.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
Sp3rticus2016
My Cars: Renault megane

Post by Sp3rticus2016 »

Hello,
It looks like someone has already been there in the wiring. From the loom to the cam sensor. I've changed the coolant temp sensor. It's just weird. It's starts when cold not straight away but it does on the first push of the button. But when warm just doesn't want to even attempt it
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Strange one that, if you hadn't already changed it I'd have said classic symptoms of a duff crank sensor (they can cause a cam sensor fault code too).

Perhaps you could ascertain that the crank sensor IS in fact pulsing when trying to start it hot, it's not impossible that the new one is faulty too, or it's wiring maybe. The fact someone's been in the cam sensor wiring could be a red herring but still I'd be inclined to look at it myself and make sure it's got continuity ideally right to the ECU pins, and correct the fuel issue if it is actually leaking anywhere.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k