Scenic eating headlamp bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Scenic eating headlamp bulbs

Post by elma »

Called the factors and they are closing now so I'll pick up the parts on Monday and service it midweek. Bit tight on time but it's running down to Jims on Saturday so I'd like it tip top. They asked me if it has a fuel filter! Apparently it's a luxury on 1.6 Renaults and they don't all have them. I ordered one anyway, no way is it continuing life without a filter in my care should I not find one already fitted.
I enjoy working on cars a lot but today I really do not feel like it. There's a good chance I'll perk up this evening and fix the headlights from the relative comfort of the garage.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent plan for the day James. Do enjoy :) what are you cooking?

Peter, yes. Today is not the best day for car work I must agree. I got quite cold working on Gabriel yesterday and then went for a run to warm up ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

I think curry, it's freezing here today and I'm wearing my coat indoors. The spices should help cope with the evening chill nicely. Has anyone tried a heated body warmer or coat? I've struggled with the cold since I was in hospital last year and have been considering one. They start at about £90 though so very reluctant to buy one in case it's a bit useless.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The saga only started there. The o/s rear tyre was soft so I thought I had better pump it up before I checked the tracking but then remembered that the the belt broke on my compressor last time I used it, I had a new belt so thought I would just slip it on - wrong! It was to slack which was probably why the other one failed.

You can adjust it by moving the motor but as I did so I found the compressor was loose on its base, to get to the bolts you have to remove the top plate which means dismantling everything. That meant pulling the compressor out from between the benches - it weighs nearly as much as a Rayburn, I have now got it where I can get to it but by this time had run out of energy.

While I was doing this the horn on the 406 started to go off continually, I tried turning everything on and off but no difference so eventually I had to risk being deafened by opening the bonnet, which I did, removed the battery terminal and it stopped, left it for the proscribed amount of time and reconnected it - no horn, started it up, everything seemed to be OK. Any suggestions?

Then it started raining so I came in and lit the fire.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might want to try heated gloves and socks first. When your hands and/or feet are cold the rest of your body can feel cold in sympathy. I got a couple of pairs of gloves (for my brother and his girlfriend, as they live on a narrow boat) and Alex let me know that they had helped a lot. I got them something like these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heated-Gloves ... SwXeJYJMDX
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I am perpetually cold James, anything below 25C is cold for me, I agree with your cold feet theory, I have thought of heated socks although from what I have seen the heat output is not great, I would probably have to carry a car battery round with me.

I use being cold as an excuse to go into the house for a cup of tea and a warm. :wink:

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

elma wrote:I'll drop into the local hardware store this afternoon . . . I need to grab brass polish as well.
You have some brass on the Scenic ? :shock:

Take it easy.
C.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I too have massive problems regulating my body temperature but on cold days I find wearing winter running and/or cycling gear works well, it's generally wind-proof, light and you barely know you’re wearing it... Try some proper thermal base layers to wear under your normal clothes if you don’t want to look like a cyclist or runner ;).#

Curry sounds good James :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Jim. The best place to be is in the car, I have the heater up full and my wife has the window open. 8-)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, on cold days a good car heating system is indeed very good!
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Well I feel fairly normal today so work on the Scenic will commence post dog walk.

I bought 4 cheap bulbs in Asda yesterday so have working headlights currently. I've had the heaters on full blast yesterday for the first time and noticed that they are slowing down at idle dramatically. I'm purity sure that with the drop in temperature I'm going to find that the battery is struggling. Still going to check everything to make sure.

I had a great experience on the beach yesterday. I was looking to sea and I noticed it looking back. There were 2 seals, one large one small. I watched for a while and there was actually a third large seal so I suspect a family. They were hovering around the fisherman probably teaching the baby to fish. I've got a couple of pictures on my phone to upload later if the seals are visible.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's lovely on the seals James. that kind of thing can really make your day!

All the best for Scenic work today ;)
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Scenic now nice and clean on the outside, inside to follow after a short break. The battery and alternator have tested fine which is great as they are the most expensive suspect bits. I'll grab a pack of wet n dry, some little brushes and some spray grease this week to cleanse the connections. Just a window motor to diagnose now, is it the switch or the motor? Then I'm done playing cars for the weekend.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Do Renaults suffer broken wires in the looms like Citroens do James? If so than that may be the cause of the window problem... Almost always the cause of the problem in a Citroen...
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Best to clean electrical contacts with proper contact cleaner/abrasive first. Grease is actually an insulator, so best not applied to contact surfaces before assembling them.
For exposed contacts (eg bodywork earthing points) a dob of grease after bolting down will keep the weather out.
Chris