Laguna steering problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neebie

Laguna steering problem

Post by neebie »

Hi I have just come up with a serious steering problem in my daughters 06 laguna estate diesel 1.9. when driving the car the steering pulls severely to the right when you accelerate and to the left when you slow down. It seems to be drive related as nothing happens when you hold a constant speed. Also it seems to be like hitting a patch of ice. I have checked all steering joints and all are ok so I am at a loss as to what is causing this serious problem. If anybody could help I would delighted as my grandkids are passengers and it is extremely dangerous. :? :?
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Re: Laguna steering problem

Post by Axa »

Vertical play in the staring rack rod can lead to one wheel shifting by the forces from accelerateting/breaking.
We had one drive side stud tire(Citroën C5) whering prematurely due to this. The easy fix was to tighten the staring gear side cog road glide bushing.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Check the wishbone bushes and ball joints for wear.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

A severe case of "torque steer". This can be exacerbated by the vehicle's tracking (wheel alignment) being out of kilter, most fast-fit type centres will check it for free and charge around £30 or so to adjust if need be. Did the problem start suddenly or develop over time do you know? Any work done to the car at all, even a new tyre?

If it's come on gradually and there's been no pothole/kerb mishaps or other work on the car recently then before having the tracking adjusted go over all the front suspension components again, as well as the steering joints check the bottom ball joints, wishbone bushes as above (prime suspect IMO), strut top mounts and make sure the outer CV joints are not excessively worn as I've known this to cause issues too. Hopefully you'll find the cause amongst these items.

I suppose there could be a differential problem causing it too but my money would be on a wishbone bush/tracking.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k