Revs taking off

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Revs taking off

Post by jimmymarsbar »

I picked up a 1.5 dci Megane tourer a month or so ago, and apart from the usual clockspring/squib fault, everything seems ok.

One thing that I did notice is that when hastily shifting up from 1st into 2nd (eg at a roundabout or junction), the engine over runs and the revs shoot up when the clutch is disengaged and my foot is off the accelerator.

I have noticed that the accelerator is much more sensitive than my 307, so I've put it down to having elephant feet, although it's only happening between 1st and 2nd.

BUT...... I'm beginning to realise that the clutch may need seeing to sooner rather than later. There's a bit of a squeak on contact between the clutch and flywheel.

Could the two be related? I've heard of a couple of issues on Peugeots where over running revs have been linked to the release bearing.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Revs taking off

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like a classic slipping clutch I'm afraid. The more you let it slip the faster it will wear so if you can use a bit of restraint with the throttle it could last for a while longer.

Peter
jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Post by jimmymarsbar »

Peter.N. wrote:Sounds like a classic slipping clutch I'm afraid. The more you let it slip the faster it will wear so if you can use a bit of restraint with the throttle it could last for a while longer.

Peter
Thought as much.... There are a couple of symptoms pointing in that direction. It only really happens when there's a need to pick up the pace quickly, such as junctions etc. I'll go easy for a while :)

I have heard from someone else that there is a "design feature" that the car is programmed to over run the revs under certain conditions to allow better gear changes. I've never heard of that before, and whilst I have no reason to doubt that, it does sound a little weird.

Thankfully I took out an extended warranty when I bought the car :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You might have a bit of grief with an extended warranty for a clutch, they tend to call that 'wear and tear' and not covered.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Post by jimmymarsbar »

I'm covered for wear and tear, all I need to do is pay a percentage of the cost of the repair as an excess.

If that percentage works out more than the cost of a clutch kit, then I'll fit it myself :)