1998 Renault Megane RXE

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TacoMannerism
My Cars: 1998 Renault Megane RXE,
1996 Mazda Lantis

1998 Renault Megane RXE

Post by TacoMannerism »

hi my car is the topic title, a 1998 renault megane rxe. the car needs a new air conditioning unit for $700NZ do you think i can get this part cheaper and if at all because i think the main underlying problem is these young people who i bought the car from have done some very sophisticated and dangerous modifications to it such as some kind of remote control operation by a computer and engineering modifications. the car has been through and through inspections time and time again but they haven't brought it up. do you think this is a police matter? if it is as simple as removing an overriding computer unit under the bonnet and removing the following wires then let me know.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: 1998 Renault Megane RXE

Post by Stickyfinger »

TacoMannerism wrote:hi my car is the topic title, a 1998 renault megane rxe. the car needs a new air conditioning unit for $700NZ do you think i can get this part cheaper and if at all because i think the main underlying problem is these young people who i bought the car from have done some very sophisticated and dangerous modifications to it such as some kind of remote control operation by a computer and engineering modifications. the car has been through and through inspections time and time again but they haven't brought it up. do you think this is a police matter? if it is as simple as removing an overriding computer unit under the bonnet and removing the following wires then let me know.
the car needs a new air conditioning unit for $700NZ

What part(s) need replacing ?
very sophisticated and dangerous modifications to it such as some kind of remote control operation by a computer and engineering modifications.

Mods to the engine ? Changed the "Chip" ?
You will need to be more detailed there to get help.
do you think this is a police matter?

Caveat emptor. Did you private purchase , eg: Sold as Seen ?
if it is as simple as removing an overriding computer unit under the bonnet and removing the following wires then let me know.

Again, is this the "CHIP" installed on the ECU to make it go faster ?, if so, you will need to give some product details as there are many many ways/product types.

And welcome :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It would also be useful to know which engine is fitted to your car (capacity and fuel type).
TacoMannerism
1996 Mazda Lantis

Post by TacoMannerism »

i don't really know what else i can say except that i had been experiencing faults such as the speedometer cutting out, indicators malfunctioning and one day, the entire vehicle under what must have been some kind of remote control operation accelerator, steering wheel and all recklessly driving out of an intersection.

i bought the car privately from online. it was just there waiting for me i was quite keen on it when i saw it but i am less keen since all these problems have made themselves known. problems i think shouldn't otherwise be there if it wasn't for any of these modifications i suspect have been done to the car. modifications of cars that criminals use to kill people then try and cover it up. i have seen things like this on television.

i just think the car has some really silly modifications in it from the previous owner. potentially dangerous modifications which could run me off the road and could kill me.

the car has a 2.0 engine and petrol.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

700NZD for a new compressor doesn't seem terrible. I'm sure you could do better if you look around a bit.

Have you seen anything that makes you think the car is modified? The box and wires you mentioned are they something you've seen or just suspect? I would expect if the car had been modified it would have a big exhaust, a non standard air box (foam cone thing under the bonnet) and be chipped. Has it got big alloys, stickers, a spoiler and all that kind of stuff?

The age of your car means it is not unlikely to suffer from some faults, especially electrical ones. Speedo and indicators sounds prity normal to me as the contacts in the switches wear by this age. Surging power could be down to a number of things, possibly the MAF sensor or ignition coils. Remote control steering is so unlikely as to be virtually impossible. I can only imagine that if the power came on suddenly on a bend the wheels bumped the steering over.
TacoMannerism
1996 Mazda Lantis

Post by TacoMannerism »

are you really located in north wales?

well i think i should know this is unheard of but the people who sold me the car <edited> - which i think is a bit unusual for where i am, in new zealand.

one thing i can't believe you or the other two haven't asked me yet is whether the car has been stolen. how reliable are phone applications on smart phones can they really find out whether a car is stolen or not? according to one of them, it isn't.

i could really have a ticking time bomb in my front yard for all i know and that would apply to any car sitting out there.

the question should be, do you know about any modifications, any at all, that would be done to a car by in the first instance sophisticated criminals? i have a mazda too and i have been driving that at times and felt the steering tighten while on the road.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK, I'm lost now.

Why are you convinced about "criminal activity" ?

"ticking time bomb" seems a bit dramatic

Why would we assume or suspect it is stolen ?

sophisticated criminals, why would they bother with a 2nd hand car and sell it privately

steering tightening ?....are you really thinking they have a remote control device installed on your car ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The situation you describe is unusual, but as most of us are on the other side of the world, there is not much we can do without seeing the car, or getting an expert inspection.

If you don't know a lot about cars and you are worried about the safety, maybe the best thing you can do is take it for an AA check or similar to get an independent expert opinion.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

xantia_v6 wrote: If you don't know a lot about cars and you are worried about the safety, maybe the best thing you can do is take it for an AA check or similar to get an independent expert opinion.
I think that is very wise advise. The concerns you describe really do sound like wear and tear on a car this age to me. For example the steering going heavy on your Mazda sounds like a loose power steering belt or low fluid. Without seeing the car we can't really give you a precise explanation though. You would be much better off showing an expert the car, telling them your concerns and letting them investigate and report. There are many tell tale signs if a car is stolen but you do need a level of expertise and experience to detect them.

I think it's natural for you to be mistrusting of the seller now that you have some issues with the vehicle. Unfortunately we can't really help with that, if there is a crime we wouldn't know as our laws are different. A seventeen year old Renault is likely to have a few problems though. If you're willing to sort them out they are a decent enough car. I doubt it's a ticking time bomb and suspect it's more likely crying out for a good service.

I am in North Wales by the way, but not the one you're thinking of. I'm in the damp one on the left of the U.K.
TacoMannerism
1996 Mazda Lantis

Post by TacoMannerism »

if you can call it harassment, what has also been going on is the previous owner by the name of sarah saying things about the car on cardomain.com as if it is still hers such as aftermarket parts she has added and what she wants to do in the future. it has been timestamped as november 13th, 2013 - but the car was bought in april of that year.

the car has been inspected, i thought i told you already. however i think these inspectors are being bribed or just simply told to look the other way.

i might get it inspected again and tell them what i have said here. i think this could be because i don't drive a toyota camry anymore - somebody noticed and took offense.

there is a whole list of issues with the car besides it being rigged with these dangerous modifications. they can even switch the turbo charge on and off or just power down the whole car. another time i found a unpleasant item in my other car, my mazda.
Last edited by elma on 26 Sep 2015, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language issue
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

well I am lost on this one, all seems very strange if not weird.
Really just go to a garage, then tell the cops what the garage found, then a psychologist and tell them what the cops said about what the garage found.

Mazda dash boards are like that normally, unpleasant, but it is the place you will most often find them.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

Nah he going to have to call Mulder and Scully for this one !
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I have relatives in Christchurch the just open the windows on their Mazda Famila on a hot day
Oh buggle