1975 Renault 6TL

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL - 13/03 It Could Be Yours!

Post by CitroJim »

moizeau wrote:Just a quick thought on the back fire. A friend had a SIII Landy that did the same thing, it would just about start then spit fire from the carb until it cut out. He said he'd changed nothing, it just started to happen. He probably meant that he changed something and forgot because he felt it was unrelated to the problem.
That sounds suspiciously like a leaky inlet valve to me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vulgalour
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Head off job to find out for definite, and that would be another head gasket required too. Easy enough, just not something I want to do. I'll be pointing the new owner at all the forums I have the car posted on so they'll see all this info and hopefully read through it when trying to fault find.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Where are you located?
Can you not get an enthusiastic local mechanic to have a look?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A quick and simple compression test will reveal all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Gibbo, even if I could I no longer want to. CitroJim, it would, it's true. We did do a compression test before this problem and all was well, it's possible something is sticking, I don't know. Again, I no longer care at this point, I just want it gone.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

vulgalour wrote:Gibbo, even if I could I no longer want to. CitroJim, it would, it's true. We did do a compression test before this problem and all was well, it's possible something is sticking, I don't know. Again, I no longer care at this point, I just want it gone.
If the compression test was ok then I think you probably have just a minor basic fault that a skilled mechanic could find in a few minutes.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
vulgalour wrote:Gibbo, even if I could I no longer want to. CitroJim, it would, it's true. We did do a compression test before this problem and all was well, it's possible something is sticking, I don't know. Again, I no longer care at this point, I just want it gone.
If the compression test was ok then I think you probably have just a minor basic fault that a skilled mechanic could find in a few minutes.
Precisely... Wish I lived nearer...
Jim

vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Today marks the end of my journey with this little car properly because it sold. Perhaps the easiest sale I've had and to someone who really got what this car is. He was quite excited by the whole thing, and who can blame him? It's an exciting car ;) I feel comfortable it's gone to the right person, he gave the impression of understanding the shortcomings on the car and recognising the work already done and didn't feel particularly daunted by it. The right questions were asked about various parts of the car and I just got a generally good vibe. Hopefully, this little car will go on to bigger and better things still with the new owner and I'll be pointing him at the various threads and forums I've used to record the adventures and troubles with it over the past few years.

Au revoir, little car, until we meet again.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Goodbye, little Renault. I hope that your new owner becomes a member of the Forum, and continues with the saga.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Well happy and sad. Happy that hopefully its gone to a good home and with luck we'll see it again. Sad that you didn't quite get where you were going with it Vulgalour but pretty damn close. And you saved it from what would have been certain death.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:Well happy and sad. Happy that hopefully its gone to a good home and with luck we'll see it again. Sad that you didn't quite get where you were going with it Vulgalour but pretty damn close. And you saved it from what would have been certain death.
Precisely :)

I'm really hoping we can continue follow the progress of this wonderful little car to it's ultimate conclusion...well into the future...
Jim

vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I can focus on my other two now instead. There's plenty of French cars I'd still like to own and I'm amongst only a handful of people who can say they've worked on a RHD Renault 6 this century. For now, there's a few jobs I've been saving up for on my 23 year old daily driver and my 37 year old Princess to get back on the road next month which I can attend to much sooner. There's a lot of cars on my wishlist, they're pretty much all beyond my reach, but if anyone comes across any of the following in a similar sort of state to the Renault when I picked it up for just £100-200 or so (hah, as if!), then do give me a shout: Citroen BX estate, DS, CX, Dyane or Ami, Peugeot 504 or even a Panhard. I'm a bit of an old Citroen fanboy, you really can't beat them.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I do know of somebody selling a CX DTR T2 Safari that would be likely within budget, I would have taken it on myself if I was allowed lol especially as it's the same seller as the engine for our Xantia... Ad here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57293

I hear you on the 504 too, that or a 305 van project would make my decade! Shame you're a bit late to save the BX estate that got scrapped recently that looked viable too
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

vulgalour wrote:I can focus on my other two now instead.
Do keep us all posted on what you do to your other two won't you?

Also do let us know when you are busy working your magic on the vehicles on your wish list when you get them;)
Jim

vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I don't really want to take on a welding project so that rather limits my options. As appealing as a super-cheap CX safari is, without any photographs to go on it's too much of a gamble even for me. Oh, and it's dark blue, I can't have dark blue cars because whenever I do people try and crash into me. After trying to weld both the BX and the Xantias I've had, I don't particularly enjoy that aspect of Citroen ownership. That BX estate did look salvagable, and was high on my want list, it was just available at exactly the wrong time as I had nowhere to put it. Massive shame. I'm going to have a bit of a break from buying another car for now, and I've sort-of-adopted a 1964 Lancia Flavia that last did some investigative work on back in August 2015 before all manner of life and business things got in the way. Rather than me spunking loads of hard-earned on acquiring my own rot box with weird problems, I'm going to help resurrect this elderly Italian instead.

I've got MoT on the Princess on the 3rd of April. Just got to finish the coolant flush and putting nice new underseal on that. After a long hard slog it's finally running well and back in one piece.

The daily driver needs a few things too, nothing serious, just so it's in the best health. Sale of the Renault means I can finally afford some better tyres and a new catalytic converter which it needs. There's also a couple of bushes to replace on the back end just to get that all tip-top.

They're none of them particularly FCF material so I'd feel a bit odd reporting on them here. You can follow their adventures and mine on Retro Rides: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/171230 which is all my cars jumbling into one pile. Easier than linking individually to all the other forums I use.

For now, I'll stick with these and wait for the right Frenchie to find me, as has happened with the others I've owned. It'll probably end up being Seabrook again, he's the reason I ended up with the BX and the 6, he has a knack of finding or even owning the sort of dreadful cars I love.