Scenic rear tyres

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobhalliday
My Cars:

Scenic rear tyres

Post by bobhalliday »

Hi All.

I asked for, and received a lot of help regarding a Scenic's rear tyre wear and the loss of the wheel nut lock. As reported earlier I got a new lock key from Renault at a reasonable cost. I went and got two new rear tyres, fitted, same size as the worn ones 205 X 60/R 16. But now the car acts as if it had smaller wheels fitted! It go'es 3.5 miles but says it's done 5.6! This has now got me rally beat, Renault garage did an update on the steering for free as a re-call from some time back, thay also changed the dash element and paid 75% of that as it's a known intermittant fault, but still the petrol gauge and speedo are tits up!
Can anyone help please? I checked the tyres today, front and rear's are the same size.

Bob.
1996 XM Estate from new
RP 6612 Admiral Blue
We are both Falkirk Bairn's
bobhalliday
My Cars:

Post by bobhalliday »

Yes Mike, that would work out but I should have also reported that the petrol gauge is doing odd things too! The dealer who replaced the panel told my Grand daughter she would need to fill the tank to the top then activate the stalk buttons to reset all the read-outs but that's doing nothing really.
When she fills the tank it should say she has around 450 miles available to travel, it might, just might go to 330 and drops even when sitting idle. This reading jumps up and down all the time, and even beeps to say she needs to fuel up when there has to be half a tank full.
I'm lost with this car! Never seen ought like it after just getting a tyre change! I'm a Citroen man myself so really know nothing about this car.

Bob.
1996 XM Estate from new
RP 6612 Admiral Blue
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Rule Number 1: Never let a Renault dealer work on your car.
Rule Number 2: Don't forget rule number 1.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Sounds like the dealer's cocked something up. If it were me I'd pay them another visit & explain the problems since they've worked on it.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
antz

Re: Scenic rear tyres

Post by antz »

bobhalliday wrote:Hi All.

I asked for, and received a lot of help regarding a Scenic's rear tyre wear and the loss of the wheel nut lock. As reported earlier I got a new lock key from Renault at a reasonable cost. I went and got two new rear tyres, fitted, same size as the worn ones 205 X 60/R 16. But now the car acts as if it had smaller wheels fitted! It go'es 3.5 miles but says it's done 5.6! This has now got me rally beat, Renault garage did an update on the steering for free as a re-call from some time back, thay also changed the dash element and paid 75% of that as it's a known intermittant fault, but still the petrol gauge and speedo are tits up!
Can anyone help please? I checked the tyres today, front and rear's are the same size. sounds like the instrement panel has not been configerd correctly as it needs to know wheel size and various other configerations that will upset the speedo and milage, i'd take it back and get them to check it ..

Bob.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Seems very odd, could it be an ECU fault. If it were a fault with the element you would have thought the previous fault would have changed.

Has it been on the Renault software? No fault codes being brought up.

I cant understand how replacing tyres could effect anything to cause this. Does the Scenic have tyre pressure sensors? Though that shouldnt cause it.
evilally wrote:Rule Number 1: Never let a Renault dealer work on your car.
Rule Number 2: Don't forget rule number 1.
:lol: Fantastic advice!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bobhalliday
My Cars:

Post by bobhalliday »

It went back to the dealer, they checked the new panel element and say it was fine, getting someone to understand the problem is the real stumbling block, nice people but feckin assoles!!!

It certainly looks like it is working in metric but how is it changed? I don't know anything about the scenic, I don't drive it, only trying to help the grand daughter. She has one booklet on it but she should have been blonde!! 8-)

Thanks for the help all, keep it coming! :lol:

Bob.
1996 XM Estate from new
RP 6612 Admiral Blue
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its not something to do with the fact the Scenics instruments can be changed to read in KPH for use in other contries is it?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bobhalliday
My Cars:

Post by bobhalliday »

Citroenmad wrote:Its not something to do with the fact the Scenics instruments can be changed to read in KPH for use in other contries is it?

Yes Chris, I think this is the case, but how is it changed? I am stumped and I am so busy working on my own car it's difficult to find the time to get to the bottom of her problem.

Bob
1996 XM Estate from new
RP 6612 Admiral Blue
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

if the dealer did an update and changed a panel and you have these problems since they worked on the car then i'd be going back and demand they fix it, if the car can be set for kilometres or miles then the dealer should know how to change the settings, and there is absolutely no way changing the tyres could have caused any of you problems
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

I'm assuming it a post 03 scenic and the dash would go off from time to time, the panel is set for kms, but fuel and speedo not working is probably faulty clocks, demand they put right the problems you didn't previously have
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: Scenic rear tyres

Post by ferkemall »

I have a modus and acidently reset the MPH to KPH it had something to do with being on the MPG setting and pressing the 2 buttons on the right hand stalk for an extended period ,short of playing with it your self go onto youtube , when you own a renault you need all the help you can get , there are lots of Renault tricks you can pick up from there !