topping up auto gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swampduck
My Cars:

topping up auto gearbox

Post by swampduck »

got the usual fault on my scenic auto of the gears slipping and going onto limp home until you turn off and on again , its done it for a couple of years now , only when cold and only once , its a niggle but a pain in the ass . just bought an additive to put in the box that may or may not help but gonna give it a go ,so , where the devil do i top it up from ??? cheers all :?
renaultpartsman
My Cars:

Post by renaultpartsman »

the gearbox bung is located at the top of the gearbox just beside your selector cable :D
genuine parts for sale lowest prices
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's not a fluid-related issue, but an electromechanical problem that requires a physical fix.
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: topping up auto gearbox

Post by ferkemall »

OK due to Renault saying that you never have to change the fluid only needing to top it up now and again debris from the clutch plates and the steel spacer plates causes problems with the valve body and the EMV valves + torque converter lock up any auto box MFG will tell you to change the fluid at 30,000 miles , some applications of Citroen have built in transmission software that put the car into limp mode at 32000 miles ,if this transmission is an AL4 its also known a DPO unit for other applications , they did have some problems with the EMV valves and dependent on your skill sets they are easy to change .

The filler plug is located on the top of the gearbox just left of the battery DO NOT UNDO THE FIRST PLUG NEAREST TO YOU thats the detent for the gear shift its the 2nd plug nearest the bulkhead ,bit awkward to get to as the cables get in the way but you can get to it ,

You need to drain from hot wear gloves and then put [ i think its a 6mm allen key up the drain plug hole and take out the level tube the fluid will run out .

When filling put the level tube back in and with the engine running in neutral pour the fluid in untill it starts to run out of the drain /level plug hole ,
IMPORTANT take the car for a run and get the fluid upto temp undo the drain/plug and if the fluid starts to run out slowly [trickles out ]
its ok, leave it , if it it does not trickle out put more fluid in untill it starts to run out slowly [trickles out] [ ENGINE RUNNING, GEAR IN NEUTRAL ]
If you dont do this sequence you could either over fill it or under fill it either will cause problems !

Modus owner did this 2 years ago mines running great !

Hope it helps !