petrol problem

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

baggers48

petrol problem

Post by baggers48 »

hi all,

hope you can help. my girlfriend has a 1.2, 2002 clio and has been having problems with petrol consumption. it is quite unbelievable really. it's been happening for months but getting much worse in the past few weeks. she is putting £10 petrol in the car every 2 days. sometimes TWICE a day, and getting nowhere out of it before the light comes on. the past 3 times she's put petrol in, she's took a note of her mileage and the 1st time she got 61 miles out of £10. the 2nd time 59 miles. and the latest time - 56 miles. now, she doesn't drive crazy or anything so there must be something up with it.

thanks in advance
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Is the engine warning light on? might be running in fault.

Dont forget with the current ripoff price of petrol you dont get much for a tenner!
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi

around 27mpg sounds a little thirsty for a car with almost no engine although if its been doing short journey's around town with lots of stop start work it sounds about right.
Are there any petrol smells under the bonnet or around the car in general? as said are there any warning lights on or strange behavour, difficult to start, lacking power that sort of thing?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Quick and simple thing is to check and see if the air filter is clogged - if it has got wet it will choke the engine fairly effectively.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Since it's gradually getting worse it could be that it just needs a service.
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: petrol problem

Post by ferkemall »

OK , renaults like to run MAP sensors they also have the inlet mainifold temp sensor in the manifold oil from the pcv valve coats the sensors because vacuum from the manifold sucks the oil fumes in and then burns them in the engine , my Modus 1.6 auto went from 31mpg around town down to 25 mpg so i checked and cleaned the sensors [both inflence mpg fuel trims] i also made my own oil catch can it cleaned up the emissions and the oil and has stopped the manifold sensors from getting gummed up , also the air filter could be clogged up ,i fitted an after market cone shaped one it cost less than the renault one and it got rid of that gigantic plastic air filter molding !

just my 2 pence worth !