Water has found it's way into my Mégane :(

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

Water has found it's way into my Mégane :(

Post by R9UKE »

OK, I can tolerate little issues such as electrical glitches, but damp carpets is a step too far.

The Mégane has little pockets under the floor, and the carpet in the passenger side one is wringing wet!! I can't figure out where the water is coming from as the carpet all around the pocket feels dry. I had a quick search and found that the drains can get blocked. Anyone have any idea where these are?

There's a bit of plastic trim along the base of the windscreen, and there were a few little drainage holes, they were blocked. However, i don't see how these would cause water to come into the car, as the water would still overflow in to the same place. I couldn't remove the plastic trim to check further... any ideas what to check next?

Thanks.
French is best.
low-slow

Post by low-slow »

do you have a sun roof
living life low and slow
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

When you say the under floor pockets have water in them, is the carpet in the footwell also wet or just in the cubby?

Ive had water leaking into the cabin from the underside on a car before. A drain hole in the chassis was blocked with sealent, the space filled up and flooded out of the bung under the carpets.

If its in the footwell too then check the windscreen, obvious place for leaks, especially if its ever had a new screen? Or sunroof/drain holes if you have one.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

low-slow wrote:do you have a sun roof
Yes I have got the sunroof, but I've checked all round it and none of the trim feels wet.

And yes, it's only the floor cubby, which is the most puzzling part! All carpet all round it is dry and I have even pulled it back, from where it meets the bottom of the dashboard and it's all bone dry. I also thought that it may be coming in from the bottom of the door, but I lined the path that the water would've taken with tissue, which is all still dry!

It's odd. You're saying there may be a hole directly underneath the cubby?

Thanks.
French is best.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Possibly a blocked drain from the ventilation/aircon system, or the drain hose pulled off it's spigot.

No, I haven't a clue where they are on a Mégan
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Is it full with water or just damp?

Do you know if it gets worse after driving in the rain or when its parked in the rain?

I know on the car i had problems with, totally different car mind, the chassis member under the passenger side footwell had a hole which was bunged up. There must be a drain hole which leads into this chamber which was filing it up and eventuallt it was coming out of the bung under the carpets.

Might be worth having a good look uner the car and checking to see if you can see any way water might be getting in or a hole which is closed and it shouldnt be.

Long shot mind but leaks are always a pain to find.

I could have thought there would have been water in the footwell if its coming in from above the cubby, though its possible with the warmth inside the car it might not be staying long.

You could try pulling the carpets back and getting someone to hose the car around the sunroof and windscreen while waching for a leak inside.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

No it's not full of water, but i'd say the carpet could be described as "wringing wet".

Next time it rains I will check to see if it gets wet when parked. And thanks, I will check under the car, and give the hose trick a go :)
French is best.
Blunt
My Cars:

Post by Blunt »

Resurrecting this thread as my wife's 07 Megane has exactly the same problem.
R9UKE did you ever manage to sort it? and if so, what was the cause and remedy?
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

It fixed itself somehow. Well it never did it after I pulled up and put back the plastic sill. So maybe that was letting in water somehow!?

Good luck, but remember that it's french, so it's likely that it'll fix itself :D
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I do like cars that fix them selves!

I was sat in my first C5, the 52 reg we still have, 18 months ago, while sat in line at the channel tunnel crossing waiting to drive onto the train to get to France. It started pouring down just as i got in the car and drove round to the waiting queue. After about 5 minutes i noticed water pouring onto the rear armrest, from the interior light above. It was obviously coming in through the ariel hole in the roof, and it kept on pouring in until i boarded the channel tunnel.

To this day its never leaked again, not even a single drip, despite it being in similar weather conditions many many times since then.

Very odd, but saved me having to rip down the roof lining :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Hahaha :D

This is exactly why we love french cars!

The Mégane has loads of these little incidents. Once only one door mirror folded in electrically - never happened again. I got an AUTO WIPER FAULT message once - never happened again.
French is best.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Re: Water has found it's way into my Mégane :(

Post by R9UKE »

Just an update on this. Happened again to my Mégane and to my Mum's, so I had to find the problem. The scuttle drain below the windscreen was FULL of water. A good 10 litres all sloshing around with nowhere to go due to the drain holes being filled with guck. Wipers were removed for full access to the well and all the rubbish removed. Turns out the air intake is in here and was letting all the water in. The wiper motor also sits in here, it was bathed in water in my mum's car and the wipers actually failed. The motor just needs removed and dried out. So, the cause is blocked scuttle drains!
French is best.
antz

Post by antz »

having worked on reno's for some years these cars sufferd with 3 main water leaks, first is the scuttle drain holes do get blocked usualy coz the car is parked under trees, this allows the water to overflow through the heater, second is the sunroof drain pipes block allowing water to back up the pipes and overflow onto the roof lining and down the a post, third is your door speakers allow water to enter the car, reno did a modified version we also had to put plastic behind them to divert the water away. hope this helps
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

OK some little EU frog designed the bulkhead on my Modus and other Renaults but i got in first with a pair snips and cut the flaps off the drains they like to fit flaps onto drains it makes millions for the dealers in new computers and fuse /relay units ,my fuse /relay box is directly under the pasenger side drain so i took the top off to check for rust on the connectors none found so sprayed the inside with clear silicone spray then sprayed the outside with a clear wax spray never had a water problem in 2 years and have been through some floods , as for water from a sunroof get an airline find the drains and blow down them to clear out any debris , i bought a car once in the dry and when it rainded over night it stored about a gallon of water in the roof run and when braked at a junction the water just casscaded down on us people were trying to figure out why it was raining in our car !