Megane electrical fault

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tony_D
My Cars:

Megane electrical fault

Post by Tony_D »

Can someone please help me with the following issues my car has suddenly developed?

The car is a 98 Megane Coupe 1.6 8 valve. I went to start the car last night. I had to do the usual thing to disarm the immobiliser; lock and then unlock the car using the key fob. The LED on the dashboard was not flashing and I started the car as usual. I turned the lights on and the engine died. The “lights-on” buzzer was sounding, the immobiliser LED was flashing, there was a loud buzzing from the fuse box, and the windscreen wipers turned themselves on!
I tried to re-start the car again; locking and unlocking the car with the key fob but it would not start.

I have tried the car again today and it started fine. However as soon as I turn the headlights on, use the wipers, open any of the windows, or use the indicators the engine dies. The wipers then start to work with a mind of their own and the “lights-on” buzzer sounds and the buzzing from the fuse box starts again.

Nothing else seems to cause the engine to stop. I can use the blowers, rear heated screen, stereo, sunroof, side lights, and fog lights without the engine dying.
If I turn on the hazard warning lights the central locking locks and unlocks the doors in sync with the lights! The indicators don’t flash though!

Can anyone offer any advice please? Only advice so far has been to scrap the car; the way I’m feeling I might just do that.
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

Hi, take a look at the earth straps under the bonnet, the main one to the battery, the one on the engine to the body, they have a tendancy to corrode and break.

Other than that, it sounds like a relay may have gone.

See the site at the link in my sig for further info
Tony_D
My Cars:

Post by Tony_D »

Thanks Sparky33

I removed and cleaned up the earth leads. I'll have a look at the relays tomorrow.
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

Did you remove them completely, at both ends?
Tony_D
My Cars:

Post by Tony_D »

The earth leads looked okay; they weren't coroded; and the nuts were very tight.

Recently the engine has been idling very low and occasionally cutting out. Could this also be down to faulty electrics or a bad earth somewhere?
Tony_D
My Cars:

Post by Tony_D »

Discovered this morning that one of the fuses in the engine bay has broken off in the fuse box itself. The broken part of the fuse is now well and truly stuck in the fuse box.

I've managed to find another fuse box, but on my way home it lost the battle with all the junk in the boot, and one of the fuses has broken off in the fuse box :evil:

Has anyone got a diagram of the fuse box in the engine bay, please?
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: Megane electrical fault

Post by ferkemall »

another thing to check is the acual earth for the computer you would surprised at the faults this can trow up intermitantly !