Scenic automatic gearbox fault info.

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stiffybrian

Scenic automatic gearbox fault info.

Post by stiffybrian »

On 2 occasions lately my Scenic automatic seemed to be stuck in 1st. It wouldn't change up, was low on power and dash even showed 'Check gearbox'. Was well worried as auto boxes cost 25 billion pounds.
It wasn't the gearbox at all, it was the spark coils. Apparently they tend to go in pairs and though the engine sounds OK 1 or 2 cylinders aren't making power. This causes the torque converters in gearbox to not 'see' enough power to change up, hence it gets stuck in 1st.
Changing coils is easy BUT had to cut a long box plug spanner to just right length to get plugs out under bodywork and a mini 3/8" socket set to undo bolt holding them down. But it saved me £25 billion!
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: Scenic automatic gearbox fault info.

Post by ferkemall »

Only the french could wire a car that way !
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

ferkemall wrote:Only the french could wire a car that way !

The wiring's Bosch and they're German. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Post by ferkemall »

Jaguar had a simular problem with their trans units apparently if cheap aftermarket ignition parts are used it can cause a mini EMP that spooks the gearbox computer ,much the same with brake switches on renaults and bad earths on the rear lights can put the unit into limp mode but then its French lots of built in problems !