Faulty ECU?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

The G Man
My Cars:

Faulty ECU?

Post by The G Man »

Please help me!!
Last night driving home in 5th gear I felt a sudden jolt! And my car went crazy and started reving like mad. I drove it to the side of the road put the handbrake on and took my foot off the pedals it was still reving like crazy! I then turned the engine off left it for around 5 mins and tried again, the car would not idle I had to keep some revs to keep it going. Been searching the internet for help and everyone is telling me I might have a faulty ECU please tell me this is not some shoddy work from Renault!
Any advice would be nice![:D]
Matthew
(I Know nothing about cars!!!) [V]
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

G Man,
It would help us greatly if you advised what model/age Renault you have.
Some cars are cable throttle and some are 'fly-by-wire'. If the car is under warranty then get it off to the dealers. If its less than 3yrs old then if its electrical it will come up if you get the ecu fault codes read.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

If it is a "drive by wire," then as with the other vehicles I have worked on, then you have to take the car into the dealer where they can with the computer/laptop reset the parameters, and allow the position(s) of the throttle pedal to be re-learned.
They can also read any fault codes which will help with the diagnosis of the above.
ferkemall
New User
My Cars: to many to list

Re: Faulty ECU?

Post by ferkemall »

An other thing to check is the earth wire for the actual computer this can lead to all sorts of problems , put a meter on it and check the continuty , could be the tps gone tits up but that should be checked as well !