1975 Renault 6TL

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL - 07/12 Rebuilding

Post by CitroJim »

That car is a very lucky survivor :D

Delighted the headlining is now dry and the leaks seem to be easing :D I do love that headlining...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hang on! I just counted them, and there are more rabbits in the headlining than there were last month!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Hang on! I just counted them, and there are more rabbits in the headlining than there were last month!
:rofl2: You know what they say about rabbits James ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vulgalour
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Bit wet out today so the exhaust is going to have to wait, I'm not rolling around on the floor in this weather. I found the left-over trim clips from putting the sill trims on and found that they're the right size for the side trims which means I could've put those back on ages ago. I had exactly the right amount to refit the lower grille trim too, whose trim clips had rotted away.

It's not a big update but it is nice to see all the trim back on. Just the exhaust and mudflaps (which need the fixings freeing off or replacing) to sort and then the only things to go back on are the parts I'm waiting for. Der Franzose got back about the fuel sender I ordered incorrectly and the correct one has now been ordered.
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL - 08/12 And Now We Wait

Post by vulgalour »

I'm putting the MoT off until January. Reason being, I simply haven't the time between now and Christmas to get the car sorted, mainly because I shall be going away for a couple of weeks over the festive period, leaving Mike to hold the fort in my absence. Not to worry. Let's have a mini update anyway.

Citromatics, the garage around the corner from Mike's garage, can fit and balance the Renault's tyres and wheels because they have the proper dooberry for their machine. I thought I'd get this checked first as I've read quite a few people having problems finding a garage that can deal with solid-centre wheels. My missing dashboard switch arrived from Spain and accounts for all the loose wires (I hope, not tested it yet) that have been flopping around under the dash. It's much shinier than my existing switches so it's probably not from a 6, more likely a higher spec 4 I suppose. Importantly it fits the hole and even if it doesn't work, it's nicer than seeing wires poking out.

The universal guttering I ordered arrived and today is the first dry day we've had so that I can fit it. This is not a pretty job (what is on this car?) but it's very much a case of function over form right now. They have the stickiest sticky stuff ever on them, I just hope it helps redirect the rainwater away from the door seals so the cabin stays that bit drier. Getting this car watertight is going to be an ongoing battle I think. Whether or not I replace them with more proper metal gutters remains to be seen.

What else? Oh yes, Mike offered to clean and rebuild the carb for me so I don't have to. I'm capable of doing it myself but I'd far rather someone that actually wants to do the job does it than someone who doesn't, the end result will be better. We got two pairs of CV boots to replace the ones on the car which, while repairable with a bit of superglue, are so cheap to replace it'd be daft not to. Still waiting on the new radiator arriving, though it has left Germany as far as I'm aware so might be here this week.

After that there's not really anything in the way of spending apart from the tyre fitting and legal requirements and very little by way of things to do. I don't particularly want to drive it while the weather is grim and the roads are salty so there's no rush for these last few jobs.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL - 14/12 Little Update

Post by demag »

In a previous life between jobs I got a temporary job working for a company that used to make auto rain gutters for all the big car firms. Metsec or something similar?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D So close now! Good idea to hold off a bit and make sure all is absolutely 100% before going for the test...

That wiper switch is a bit special.. I wonder why it has the 'toggle' fitted to it?
Jim

vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I think it's to make it easier to flick on and off than if it were like the others. Either that or "because French".
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

vulgalour wrote:I think it's to make it easier to flick on and off than if it were like the others. Either that or "because French".
I go for the latter! :roll: :lol:
Jim

vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Radiator is still proving a problem.  After returning the incorrect one to Autodoc and finding they had the correct one listed, I attempted to buy it.  Unfortunately, just like when I first placed the order that led to the incorrect replacement, I was told they had no stock.  A refund was eventually got and I've been checking numerous online sites.  Real world suppliers are unable to provide the radiator required, often they're unable to even find the car on the system.  I have found one new (to me) supplier that list what appears to be the correct radiator for £93 +postage so I'll be calling them tomorrow to likely be told that they have no stock.  If that happens then I'm going to bite the bullet and get mine repaired as it'll be a comparable cost to trying to bodge a radiator in from a different car and at least I'll know it's sorted.  Cheers Renault.

The other problem is the carburetor, a Solex EISA-32.  It has the screw-in rather than push-fit emulsion tube which Mike removed when he dismantled and cleaned the carburettor.  It had been broken previously and the screw thread in the carburetor body was damaged and needs re-tapping (that bit isn't a problem).  However, I cannot find any emulsion tube that matches this one, Solex or otherwise, and neither can Mike.  Without it, I expect the carburetor will not work.  It looks like this:

Can anyone help?
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: 1975 Renault 6TL - 15/01 Parts Hunting

Post by demag »

Have a look at Aldon Automotive in Brierley Hill. I've used them a lot for old Solex and Weber parts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that with a bit of skill and silver solder that emulsion tube could be reassembled.

While googling, I came across these ads which may be of interest:
https://www.milanuncios.com/motores-de- ... 768647.htm
https://www.milanuncios.com/recambios-d ... 694776.htm
https://www.milanuncios.com/recambios-d ... 652808.htm
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

demag: added to my list, thank you.
xantia_v6: That is a very good link and the cheapest I've seen one of these carbs by quite a huge margin. I don't speak any Spanish, hopefully that won't be an issue if I end up ordering that item from them.

Right, another little update on the emulsion tube. Having seen the cleaned carb in person today it's clear that the thread for the tube hasn't stripped, it just wasn't ever there. That means this is the earlier type with a push fit emulsion tube that shouldn't be removed, but has before I got the car. It looks like the old air jet has been removed previously - the head of it is quite mangled - and a newer, potentially incorrect one fitted.

The bit I need is the air jet, a size 170 apparently, and that is supposedly a generic component shared with Weber and Solex so it should be easier to resolve now. It should be, as far as I can tell, a push-fit type rather than a screw fit type and I have been able to find both of these components in various locations. Should be okay.

Oh, and a Renault Clio radiator *might* be a close enough size and shape to fit, which makes sense since it's the natural successor of the 6 et al.

Now, I'm just waiting on some invoices being paid and I can think about the next stage of spending.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Finally, another R6-fix... I've been clucking for this since last year :D

Shame to hear about the carb bodges, I find if a carb has been subject to unskilled handling in the past it's usually more satisfactory/reliable long term to replace with an unmolested item if possible within budget so the Spanish site could be a Godsend... As with most things though the cloud seems to have a silver lining if the Clio rad proves suitable.

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment of this addictive thread, seems to be coming together now...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
vulgalour
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Next instalment is here!

Managed to get a correct replacement air corrector jet to replace the damaged one. Since 65mustang (from RetroRides) found a correct radiator over in the Netherlands, another supplier I'd previously contacted returned a 'not in stock' so at present that radiator is my last great hope for a stock item, if it doesn't pan out then we're looking at fitting an alternative rad I think. In the meantime, the emulsion tube/air corrector jet is away being repaired and the wheels came off so I can get the new tyres fitted. That made sorting out the front joint on the exhaust a quick and easy job today, just got the backbox to do now.

Until the wheels come back the car is on stands as I haven't a spare set of wheels I can bolt on in the meantime. The Renault has got gradually more difficult to push and with the wheels off I've found out why; front brakes are now stuck almost completely on. Going to have to get the calipers off and find out what's going on there, I suspect the pistons have just got stuck and need working a bit to free them off.

So just a case of waiting for things to come back now. Radiator will happen when it happens and the tyres should be fitted Thursday/Friday, won't do the car any harm being on stands for a couple of days in the meantime.