Citroen C5 RNEG to SMEG

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

goggi10
My Cars: Citroen C5 2012

Citroen C5 RNEG to SMEG

Post by goggi10 »

Hi
I know there is a topic or vborivic explained but i cant find it regardin replacing rneg navigation system with smeg. Is it possible to do it without changing all cabling. Is it possible just to change unit and disply. Because i found very cheep Smeg unit with touch screen for 400 eur init 140 and display 260. Thx
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 RNEG to SMEG

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've moved this to the Audio and Telematics section.

He never did an upgrade to SMEG - that is the touchscreen.

He did RD4 to RNEG (MyWay), then MyWay to RT6 (eMyWay).

No I don't think it is possible to fit SMEG to your C5, as these touchscreens were only on option from 2014 on the X7. The issue you will have is the wiring architecture changed, as there are no hard buttons on the central display now, no head unit as such and no buttons for some of the other equipment, so not possible as the wiring you will have in 2012 still uses the old wiring harness.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think the link you want is here:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=48421

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Is the SMEG incompatible with the CAN network of pre 2014 C5's? as in it won't be able to communicate with the BSI etc even if the correct loom were to be spliced in?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 Rnwg to Smeg

Post by GiveMeABreak »

IIRC I checked this previously and it looks like a different architecture - certainly a different BSI. Since June 2015 these also have different central harnesses for the SMEG systems (Analogue and Digital SMEG versions are also different ). But as you'll need a new wiring loom, BSI and screen, console fascia etc., with no guarantees it will work even then on an older C5 I think it would be a non-starter. They only started rolling these out in Mid 2015 on the X7 and probably coincided with introduction on other models like the DS3 and DS5 - mirrorlink didn't come out until a later version of the SMEG either - another RNEG MP3 SD card issue!! - Recorded as being available but never was in reality on the earlier ones.

Marc
myneur
My Cars: Citroen C5

Post by myneur »

Curious if this came to resolution. I'd like to replace RNEG either by RT6 or SMEG to get BT and USB and up-to-date maps.
RT6 with display should be easy.

Some did also a replacement to SMEG:
– from RD4
– from RT6

I am curious if it is possible from RNEG VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. SMEG might give better experience and longer map updates.

For SMEG: except for the unit display and wires in between, the wiring must be modified as shown here and buttons to menu/vol could be added from DS like here

I hear you mentioned a different BSI. Does that mean only the wiring needs to be changed or that will not work with the current BSI? That would be a showstopper I guess.

I found a guy is selling SMEG replacement kit.

Could I ask you to summarize what needs to be done in order to switch to SMEG (from RNEG)?
Will all the functions (steering wheel control, dashboard display, car setup (like parking sensor signals, headlights config etc..)) work properly if configured and just wiring adjusted?

Thank you
Last edited by myneur on 16 Feb 2018, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

myneur wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 10:12 Curious if this came to resolution. I'd like to replace RNEG either by RT6 or SMEG to get BT and USB and up-to-date maps.
RT6 with display should be easy.

Some did also a replacement to SMEG:
– from RD4
– from RT6

I am curious if it is possible from RNEG VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. SMEG might give better experience and longer map updates.

For SMEG: except for the unit display and wires in between, the wiring must be modified as shown here and buttons to menu/vol could be added from DS like here

I hear you mentioned a different BSI. Does that mean only the wiring needs to be changed or that will not work with the current BSI? That would be a showstopper I guess.

I found a guy is selling SMEG replacement kit.

Could I ask you to summarize what needs to be done in order to switch to SMEG (from RNEG)?
Will all the functions (steering wheel control, dashboard display, car setup (like parking sensor signals, headlights config etc..)) work properly if configured and just wiring adjusted?

Thank you

I think the main problem is that the SMEG unit may require a BSI of the same age to work correctly. There is no guarantee that the newer SMEG unit can read the data that the older BSI is sending on the CAN network (things like reversing beeps, steering wheel controls, MFD interface, etc.)

However, I read your links , but Google Translate doesn't work too well and I didn't quite understand. Did he say that the SMEG + i V2 works in CAN 2004 vehicles? the other link looks good to me though, especially with the buttons from the DS, however when the SMEG is installed from the factory the volume buttons are like this:

I have changed my RD4 to RNEG and then to RT4 and I am happy with it although if you upgraded to the SMEG it would be even better.
myneur

Post by myneur »

EDC5 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 12:11 Did he say that the SMEG + i V2 works in CAN 2004 vehicles?

You mean the russian guy? I do not understand him well as well, but seems he claims there are 2 versions of SMEG systems for CAN2010 and CAN2004.
Are all C5 X7 with CAN2004 or did it change in 2016? The newer cars, like DS are already on CAN2010.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Certainly the X7s are CAN2004 - but I cannot say whether they changed anything in the last run of the C5 before they stopped production.

The Touchscreen was available from June 2015, changed again to another screen in January 2016.

So the 7" Touchscreen with mirror link was fitted and also referred to as SMEG+ V2 I think. However if any of the newer units are CAN2010 then I suspect they just will not work on the X7, and also whether they need a newer BSI could be a problem....

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A popular upgrade is to RT6 (eMyWay) as that was in production fro Citroen on the C5 from 2011 to 2015 and may be easier to source parts on the web. The premium NG4 system are very rare and expensive to get hold of and the MyWay (RNEG) don't have MP3 streaming or MP3 playback from the SD card and the earlier RT4 is also a great system with Hard Disk, but rare and expensive, but without bluetooth of course.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

It's strange, the guy with this kit here https://www.milanuncios.com/navegadores ... 570714.htm says that it's compatible with the X7 and that it is the SMEG IV2.

In the kit is the missing volume buttons. Perhaps Citroen fitted a can2004 car with the smeg unit but didn't want to redesign the dashboard so provided a single din volume control panel as a bodge?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, although the one on the pictures is obviously not from an X7 (check out bottom picture with half the dash buttons attached). It would be a lot of work to make all those mods to the dash and find it doesn't work though - bit I suppose for some that is the challenge :-D

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I'm not sure how but someone appears to have done a tidy job

Was there ever a face lifted Citroen where the put a SMEG in but didn't change anything else necessitating them to produce the single din blank for the buttons? I'm thinking early DS5's perhaps?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that's 7" touchscreen SMEG. There are several versions - and not all are compatible. I've been reading about all the issues with these units - GPS malfunctioning, sound issues, crashes and freezes. As I understand it, the activation cannot be done with Diagbox - it needs a download via the PSA server to initialise all the functions (like carplay).

To be honest I'm more interested to see if the replacement fascia with the chromed lines shown above are actual cup holders???? It would be worth the upgrade just for those!

Marc
myneur

Post by myneur »

So are the early SMEG IV2 units from C5 compatible and those from later or different cars not or just nobody knows? Is there a clue how to find compatible ones to be replaced just with the diag and modified wiring?