RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can only suggest you get a dual tuner version of your RD45 in that case as you know it worked well before when you had a dual tuner system. It is the combination of the dual tuners using the 2 antennas and checking for the best signal and always scanning that makes the difference.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

You can get dual-antenna RD45 really cheap from aliexpress (about 60-70€ including postage), but it has got too wide front panel. However it's easy to cut it to right lenght if wanted because it's just plastic. I bought one of those and sold it forward. It's rocking very nice on Citroen C4 now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine ... ae10325250
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 11:48 You can get dual-antenna RD45 really cheap from aliexpress (about 60-70€ including postage), but it has got too wide front panel. However it's easy to cut it to right lenght if wanted because it's just plastic. I bought one of those and sold it forward. It's rocking very nice on Citroen C4 now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine ... ae10325250

I have been very tempted to get one of these Chinese units but was not sure on the comparability with the EMF-C screen in the car. Fortunately for me the FM signal was much improved once I set the antenna config as per what Marc said.

Just a bit of a set back regarding the amplifier upgrade... there was some distortion present on one of the output channels... i traced it back to the unmatched pair of driver transistors. looks like someone has repaired the output stage and used a non complementary BJT leading to the distortion :?

So I've returned that and instead bought a new JBL GTO-804EZ

This is vastly more powerful than I want or need for the foreseeable future :lol:

so 80W RMS per channel is a lot more than I was originally planning for but I wont be ever driving it that hard.
Complete overkill I know but at least there will be very little distortion driving at most half of its rated capacity.

Just a few questions remain...

1. How deep a speaker can i get away with in the door, I read in another thread that the person had to send their speakers back because they were too deep! I'd rather this didn't happen to me to be honest.

Could I fit these JBL GX600C's http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... ker-system

2. Whats the best way at getting to the backside of the fuse box in the glovebox?

I'm going to run 6mm^2 cable for power not the 8mm^2 the manual says it needs as that is just ludicrous!
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I think 65mm deep goes fine. I had Rainbow Audio 6,5" speakers on C5 X7 which were that deep. You have to cut out that plastic cup behind speaker though, but that's easily done.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also Elis, surely you will need to use the recommended thickness of power wire that it needs or it will be akin to using lighting cable for the cooker?

As for the passenger fuse box, can you not get one of those piggy back fuses like in my dash cam thread? It saves fiddling about there, given that this is very near the BSI? I'd not want to be taking anything off around there unless I really had to knowing how sensitive the unit and its connections are.

The amp looks nice if a bit more powerful than you wanted, but again I would use the right thickness of wire TBH. :-D

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 07:01 I think 65mm deep goes fine. I had Rainbow Audio 6,5" speakers on C5 X7 which were that deep. You have to cut out that plastic cup behind speaker though, but that's easily done.

Thats great, thanks for the info, would you reccomend any speakers over the JBL ones I chose? Obviously those rainbow speakers look pretty good but a are a bit more pricey. I've known JBL to be a good brand so I'm going off that really... thats probably not the best reason :lol:

Since it's a 80W RMS amp should I get at least 80W speakers?

Did you havbe trouble getting the door card off and more importantly back on?

Did you upgrade the wires to the speaker or use the preinstalled wires?

did you install an amplifier too or use the stock headunit?

Sory for the 20Q but the more info I have the better :)

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 08:18 Also Elis, surely you will need to use the recommended thickness of power wire that it needs or it will be akin to using lighting cable for the cooker?

As for the passenger fuse box, can you not get one of those piggy back fuses like in my dash cam thread? It saves fiddling about there, given that this is very near the BSI? I'd not want to be taking anything off around there unless I really had to knowing how sensitive the unit and its connections are.

The amp looks nice if a bit more powerful than you wanted, but again I would use the right thickness of wire TBH. :-D
As for the thickness of cable, the amp has 2x 25 amp fuses so thats an Absolute maximum rating of 50A, so 6mm^2 cable will be fine. I had a summer job building control pannels for industral automation and know that 6mm^2 single core cable is rated at 53A, plus I doubt if it'll ever see 30A in its life. I was thinking of thsoe piggy-back connectors but would have to use multiple, maybe 3 as they seem to be rated for about 10A.

Also is it true the x7's have 180A alternators as suggested on Citroen service? if so thats pretty amazing.

P.S. I didn't know the BSI was in the glovebox, I always thought it was to the right of the engine but thats the ECU im guessing. Incidentally my engine ECU emitts a high pitched whine whenever a door is opened or the ignition is on... anything to be worried about?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The main unit in the engine bay is called the BSM (Boîtier de Servitude Moteur) and is basically a slave electronic module to the BSI in the dashboard. It contains a lot of relays and fuses contained in a sealed module along with switching protection and other fuses - it handles most of the switched electrical load.

The BSI is the device in the glovebox that has 2 rows of fuses attached top and bottom and the additional vertical fuse holder to the right. I believe they mounted it there because it is a sensitive bit of kit and expensive to replace - so is probably afforded a bit more protection there than in the engine bay.

Re the whine - nothing to be worried about - mine does the same - always when a door is opened or the bonnet for example - it soon stops after a while.

Re the Alternator - yes these range from 120 to 180A on the X7, but probably need to be to cope with all the possible optional kit that can be specified.

Posty has just been and delivered my new super router to replace that awful 'SmartHub' 6 that isn't so smart and will be binned, so off to play now. :-D

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Very interesting re the BSM, makes sense to have high current switching done from the engine bay I suppose. I might have to take a power feed from that location then, I dont fancy messing with the BSI's power supply if there is a potential for a large instantaneous load from the Amp.

Yep, thats it, the whine whenever anything triggers the car, glad it's noting to worry about, some people have commented on it though :?

Just a bit of lateral thinking, I noticed that my C5 has the BSR trailer relay module installed, I think I found out where it is, conveniently in the side panel of the boot.... It's not equipped with a thick gauge cable is it for running trailer accessories? i'll check later but if it does I might be able to tap that, otherwise I'll continue with the original plan.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you have a part or a photo? The Parking Assistance Module is also located on our saloons in the rear - should be mounted to the right of the spare wheel. If it's the parking module it should begin with 6590 - the last 2 characters will vary as there are different modules depending on options.

OR:

5430** if you have found the Under Inflation Receiver.... which is in the rear left hand side quarter of the boot area behind the trim.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I can go and get a pic at lunchtime, the module I speak of is above the passenger side rear wheelarch in the cavity accessed by removing the 'boot storage pocket'.

I still haven't had any luck finding the flush fit boot flap instead of the storage pocket version, it seems very few C5 V6's or C5's with the cd changer are being scrapped currently :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

See my last edited post Elis^

This is better than an Easter Egg hunt!

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 12:33 See my last edited post Elis^

This is better than an Easter Egg hunt!

Haha it is!

So without looking like a mainiac stripping down ithe C5 n the car park...

No high current wire in sight :(

I'm guessing I should be looking for something like this:

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No that's definitely the under inflation detection ECU Elis.

The BSR1 Towing ECU was designed to protect the BSI and the CAN network from issues relating from the towing wiring. It safely handles the lighting requirements as an intermediary between the BSI and the towing electrics. There have been examples of overheating and melting that have caused problems from non-compatible wiring kits - and another function is so that the BSI can inform the ABS / ESP ECU in order that the ESP programme can be altered to take account of towing. I believe that the BSR1 is part of the Citroen Towing Electrics accessory and isn't factory fitted as standard - but once fitted, the BSI can be configured to work with it. That's another reason why it is a lot more expensive than an aftermarket system.

As these systems are all multiplexed Elis, so I would be a bit cautious - I recall the Philips amp fitted to the X7 was a multiplexed amp (the JBL was fitted to the earlier model MKII C5).

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Hmm, that is interesting, when I run a Global test, the trailer ECU responds with 'BSR' so something must be there. I was just curious if Citroen had already run a high current wire to the rear of the car for the purpose of a caravan power socket.

Also. the amplifier has arrived at home :-D Looking forward to getting it working (in the house) tonight.
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

EDC5 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:21
Xantippa wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 07:01 I think 65mm deep goes fine. I had Rainbow Audio 6,5" speakers on C5 X7 which were that deep. You have to cut out that plastic cup behind speaker though, but that's easily done.

Thats great, thanks for the info, would you reccomend any speakers over the JBL ones I chose? Obviously those rainbow speakers look pretty good but a are a bit more pricey. I've known JBL to be a good brand so I'm going off that really... thats probably not the best reason :lol:

Since it's a 80W RMS amp should I get at least 80W speakers?

Did you havbe trouble getting the door card off and more importantly back on?

Did you upgrade the wires to the speaker or use the preinstalled wires?

did you install an amplifier too or use the stock headunit?

Sory for the 20Q but the more info I have the better :)

Those Rainbow's were fine, I think you can get pretty decent set from them below 200€. I haven't had any JBL's ever, so can't say anything about them.

Don't worry about wattage ratings at all, that's the least important spec on speakers.

Getting the door card off was pretty easy with instructions. Be prepared that many of those plastic clips break when dismantling, but you can get new ones from shop easily.

I used preinstalled wires, it seemed quite difficult to install new wires.

I had 6ch JL-Audio XD-amplifier running my system (2-way active front and subwoofer in the trunk inside spare wheel) and changed HU to Kenwood DSP-model. It looked ugly and had bad display, but sound was good.