Connecting iPod 3rd Gen Touch to C5 Tourer 2011

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Jelly_Owner
My Cars: Citroen C5 Mk III 3.0 V6 Diesel Tourer

Connecting iPod 3rd Gen Touch to C5 Tourer 2011

Post by Jelly_Owner »

Hello,

I have a 2011 C5 Exclusive with an NG4 Navidrive Unit and have my phone connected via Bluetooth, an SD card in the dash with music and a 32GB USB stick in the connector under the armrest, also for music. They all just work. But now I want to use a 32GB iPod Touch instead of the USB stick and either the iPod or the car isn't playing ball.

Normally when I plug anything in to the USB connector, the Navidrive will switch to it straightaway and it will appear in the list of options under the Media menu but nothing happens with the iPod.

I've reset the iPod back to factory specs and performed a software update to make sure that's fully up to date. I have had a much older iPod connected to the car but whenever I did so, it would kill the iPod and I'd have to give it an electronic kiss of life to get it working again. I did expect something similar this time but noting, nada.

Does anybody have any ideas what I need to to make this thing work?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Connecting iPod 3rd Gen Touch to C5 Tourer 2011

Post by vborovic »

The Navidrive 3D (NG4, the big double-din device) doesn't support the iPod as a music source ... only the USB sticks
Jelly_Owner

Post by Jelly_Owner »

Oh. That's disappointing. Ah well. I'll just have to stick with the tried and tested technology then.

Thanks for the speedy response.
Jelly_Owner

Post by Jelly_Owner »

Pressed Submit too quickly!

I've tried using a 64GB USB stick instead of a 32GB but the Navidrive says that there are too many files and it then doesn't see the files in some of the folders. Will the system see multiple partitions on the larger stick or is there a better way for me to use the 64GB device?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

There is a limit to how many files you can put on the USB, not sure about the NG4, but usually the file number limits are either around 600 or 1000 ... anything more than that won't get read ... file size doesn't' make any difference (in case you'd try converting all the files to 128 kbit i.e.) ... that's where the iPod "bypasses" that limit, since it uses the playlist functions (artist, album, etc.) thus "feeding" the nav device with the songs ... any you can use the wheel/nav buttons to navigate through the iPod's structure ... one "solution" would be to geta USB hub, 4 slots (with on/off buttons each), and then have only one stick active at a time ... you wouldn't need to juggle the sticks, just turn on the one that you want ... I have one like that, used it for a while, but switched over to the iPod for simplicity ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have this unit and only use the USB for map and radar upgrades. I don't use the Jukebox Hard Drive either as I prefer to keep that free solely for system and map data so the disk isn't used unnecessarily. My solution is to stick with the SD card - I have a 32 Gb card in and that works fine - although I know it's a pain having to add new files over - but at least it works.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jelly_Owner

Post by Jelly_Owner »

My PC is currently formatting a 32GB SD card for use in the car instead of the current 16GB card currently in use. I have put about 10GB worth of music on the jukebox and also have a DAB radio added so I'm pretty well covered for music. And yet I have a routine to grab lots of iplayer files as MP3s and put those on the USB stick once or twice a week. So I'm forever swapping between the various systems.

I did have a brief dabble with an MP3 player plugged into the audio sockets in the glovebox but because of the lack of easy control over it I gave up with that quite quickly.

The maps are fully up to date as are the speed cameras so that was even more disc swapping (like you I only do the updates via USB as the DVD drive takes too long) hence why I wanted to simplify the arrangements a little. It's a shame that the system can't cope with a large hard drive in the jukebox which would solve a lot of problems for me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I still have half the space free on the 32 Gb SD card.l I'm in the process of ripping all my old CDs into MP3s and dumping all the CD cases and covers so I can get rid of the CD towers! Re the AUX sockets in the glovebox - only really any good for playback of video from a camcorder or phone as the audio isn't great and a bit of a faff. I'm still trying to get the right bit rate for the M4A to MP3 conversion right - it's a bit of trial and error between size and quality - to a point where you can't really notice!

Marc
Jelly_Owner

Post by Jelly_Owner »

If you allow the car to rip a CD for example, you are offered two choices (IIRC), 128kbps and 192kbps but if you rip files to MP3 separately, you can go up to 320kbps and the car will happily transfer them to the jukebox from USB at that rate and play them.

All the iPlayer files I download are currently at 128kbps but the BBC are experimenting with rates up 320kbps so I might end up with files of that rate soon.

One of my sons has just offered me a switchable hub - one of the suggestions by vborovic - so with that, I'll certainly have no shortage of space and so will rip any new files from CD at 320kbps. Like you I'm trying to dispose of CDs and their cases and I store all my files on a NAS at home at their highest bit rate or even flac but the car won't play those and that would entail more faffing around with conversion and I can't be bothered with that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto, i use a terrastation pro to store all my files and 320 Kbps conversion but I do it all on the PC. Overall I'm very happy with the sound quality and performance of the unit. The only annoying thing is it will only read text messages from the internal phone and not your Bluetooth connected phone. As you can't get dual SIM cards now, I just leave the internal for emergencies and stick to my connected iPhone.

Marc