My VIN and details of the problem I have

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

graykay2601
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso 2013

My VIN and details of the problem I have

Post by graykay2601 »

Hi to Marc and the other members who messaged me.
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this post but here goes.

The Citroen C4 Picasso I have was first registered in OCT 2013 and has been fine until now.
The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

A month ago the 7" touchscreen that controls the climate, radio, phone and diagnostics etc. Just went blank and as there is no other way to control anything it is stuck with the AC on cold at present.
I took it to the repair company I use regularly only for him to tell me it wasn't the fuses or anything so he had it sent to BBA REMAN for tests and they said the screen works. Now I was told it was maybe the firmware needs upgrading so my car was taken to Windsors Citroen of Wallasey who tried this upgrade but it didn't work. They have now tested it and said its the amplifier that needs replacing and it will cost about £600 with fitting, programming and VAT.

I do have an extended warranty but it seems to cover nothing up to now. I've been told that media is not covered, but to me it is not the media.

Here's hoping you can help . A very appreciative ( but not happy ) Gray K :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: My VIN and details of the problem I have

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would challenge that assumption Gray. They should know full well that the integrated system is NOT just a media or audio system it is the basic interface for various controls and display information for the car.

I would seriously challenge this and tell them that you will appeal this as without out it you have no control over certain elements of the vehicle. I hate these touch screens with a vengeance - if they are going to remove more and more of the physical buttons in favour of integrating more controls into the display unit they can't hide behind the excuse that it's a media device any longer!

I would query the problem, ask them for a printout of the diagnostic report and fault codes that proves this and I would take it up with the insurance company directly. I have had this issue before myself on another matter when the dealer assumed an item would not be covered - I got onto the phone and let at them and they were completely surprised to hear that the claim would not be honoured, they spoke to the dealership directly and the work was authorised!

Dig your heels in on this one and check the policy for items covered - telematic equipment and computers should be covered, although the diagnostic checks may not.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
graykay2601

Post by graykay2601 »

Thanks Marc, I have every intention of doing just this on Monday. I just wish I had bought it local to me but me being the *** that I am I got it from Perry's Citroen Nelson, a good 2 and a half hours away. And the warranty people are in Bristol.

In the event that this doesn't pan out would you have any clue what this " amplifier " is ?

When I noticed some other members mentioning SMEG touchscreens I thought they were using a word to describe how bad they are not the manufacturer. I've not even got SatNav on my screen it's that cheap looking when working. Thanks again Gray .
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think they are using the wrong terminology - you don't have an 'amplifier' as in the additional equalising amplifier, so I can only assume they are referring to the SMEG unit itself.

Is the warranty a Citroen Extended Warranty? If so, a call should suffice - explain that you feel the SMEG system is not a media player, it is an integral part of the control & display system controlling may functions of the vehicle including the navigation system and critical system information and should be covered.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
graykay2601

Post by graykay2601 »

Hi Marc
Thanks for all your help and information.
After many phone calls and a lot of waiting for call backs etc. The service manager ( Duncan ) at Perry's, Nelson. Where I bought the car, phoned the boss of my local garage and when he got back to me he offered to have Perry's pay 50% for the part that is needed. It will take about 2 weeks as it has to be ordered from France and he will send it to my local garage who has offered to program and fit it for a very reasonable price.

I argued that it wasn't anything to do with media and was told that the warranty company still class this as " in car entertainment " and when I complained further. He said he was very sorry but he didn't write the regulations for the warranty.

I've took the offer as I am totally ******** off . The warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on so I'll just put it down to experience.

I'm going to sell this car and buy something with manual controls and make sure I never buy anything with a screen again. If that's possible :roll:

Anyway it's not going to cost as much as I was first quoted, they are selling me the part wholesale which is a lot less than retail. At least I was offered something that takes the sting out of it. Take care, Gray :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

You'll have to go for an older car than you have now (probably about 10 years!) in order to be sure it has less electronics. Even medium spec cars have a sat nav nowadays.

Let's face it, cars are not going to get any less complex.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​