Help!! 2003 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Black smoke after cleaning

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bluebadger66
My Cars: Campervan with Peugeot 2.0 diesel engine

Help!! 2003 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Black smoke after cleaning

Post by Bluebadger66 »

Hi,

We've got a camper with a 2003 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 diesel engine. Only 24,000 genuine miles.

Since we bought it last year it has always been quite slow to drive. Can get to 60mph on the flat but as soon as you get to an incline it really struggles. Our mechanic thinks it is probably a turbo problem.

We put Archoil Turbot Cleaner in the fuel tank and it seemed to be a little faster for a while but then went back to normal.

This weekend we used Eco-Tec turbo and EGR cleaner as per the manufacturer's instructions. Took it for a spin on the dual carriageway and it was very slow. When we got back we noticed that there is oil around one of the injectors, but this seems to be coming from the rocker cover.

Someone suggested that it could be the MAF sensor, and to unplug it and take it for a short drive with it disconnected. I did this today with a cold engine and got about 1/2 a mile down the road and it lost all power and was billowing out black smoke, so I immediately stopped and reconnected the MAF sensor, but the smoke has continued and the engine now wont rev much over 2,500. It didn't even have enough power to reverse it onto the driveway.

It sailed through the MOT a few weeks ago without even an advisory!

Can anyone please help with what could be wrong?

TIA, Martin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Help!! 2003 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Black smoke after cleaning

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are a number of things it could be, but we would be guessing somewhat. Something that could help narrow down the possibilities is the VIN (which will be automatically obscured so only Moderators can read it), as then a Moderator could look up exactly what your camper had when she rolled out of the factory. Then, with the details available, they can start working towards possible causes.

You will, almost certainly, need to get her onto a diagnostics session. A generic reader almost certainly will not be able to help, and a dealership diagnostics run can cost a few quid. However, there are Forum members with Lexia clones that can work, and who are willing to help out. The following link shows those members;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

Oh, :welc: to the Forum, by the way.

The reason she (currently) won't rev over 2,500RPM is because she saw something major was wrong ("where the hell has the MAF gone???!!!"), and has gone into limp mode. Unless something else hiccups (or she 'feels' the problem was a major issue) she should, after a few runs, go back into normal mode. (Limp mode is to get you home rather than leave you stranded miles from anywhere, but in a reduce power state to prevent/limit any further damage).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Bluebadger66
My Cars: Campervan with Peugeot 2.0 diesel engine

Post by Bluebadger66 »

Thanks James for a great reply.

I thought it was probably in limp mode from unplugging the sensor. I shouldn't have done it. I also think this is the cause of the black smoke as it wasn't doing that the other day.

As for the VIN number, I've just put it in a couple of online checkers and it isn't recognised although the plate under the bonnet matches with the V5C. If there is a moderator who can help me please, my VIN number is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

When you say take her for a few runs, how far do you reckon? Because Hindhead is so hilly we will only be able to literally go round the block. I'd like to see what she does when coming out of limp mode before diagnostics. Is the limp mode something that can be reset?

BTW. I notice that you're from Reading. I was born in Reading and lived there until about 3 years ago. Still got a house in Tilehurst if you want to buy it lol :)

Thanks again,
Martin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Typically (assuming the ECUs are 'happy' it is a temporary fault) it should clear after 5 runs. It might do it after starting the engine a few times, but it might need a few runs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow