Peugeot 1007 stearing is feather light turning right but slightly heavier turning left?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Peugeot 1007 stearing is feather light turning right but slightly heavier turning left?

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Hi - I'm building a 1007 1.6 automatic for my dad, bought it as spares or repairs, so far I've replaced an ABS sensor, renewed both door actuators, both rear springs, and new discs and pads on the front plus various bulbs, and a damned good polish to get rid of a lot of marks on it. When I got the car it had the spare wheel on the left front, and its own alloys on all other wheels most notably including the front right wheel. I've since fitted 4x new tyres and put it back on its alloys all round.

When I picked the car up it felt lighter steering to the right, than to the left, but I assumed this was down to the mismatched wheels on the front, however the different steering feel from left to right remains? I've hooked up a Lexia to it and there are no faultcodes, all balljoints, track rods, drop links etc on the front were renewed around two years ago, so I'm out of ideas.

I wonder if this is an inherent characteristic of the car, but I dont believe Peugoet would release a model that was heavier steering one direction without getting lambasted in the press for it, and everything mechanical like bottom balljoints, track rod ends etc would all move the same amount in both directions, and has all been renewed, so I'm thinking its an electrical fault? Has anyone any advice they could pass on to me?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Peugeot 1007 stearing is feather light turning right but slightly heavier turning left?

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that the 1007 may have the same steering system as the Citroen C2.

Here are a couple of topics which may be educational...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54600
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59468
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Re: Peugeot 1007 stearing is feather light turning right but slightly heavier turning left?

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Hi Xantia, thanks for those links, I've read all of the posts in those threads and reading between the lines it sounds like a torque sensor issue. Just need to gorw a pair and make a purchase decision. Given where I live postage is a nightmare for ordering parts from breakers, so I'm loathed to buy a 2nd hand rack on the presumption that it is good, I've been stung with that sort of thing before. I'm 30+ miles from my nearest proper scrappy, there is one nearer but they take the parts off and charge like the cavalry, as in I have on occasion been cheaper to buy new pattern parts mail order than their take off parts :-/ I'm reluctant to spend the £250 for a refurbished rack as Im building this car to give it away to a relative and I'm already 4 figures into it making it "right" and reliable for the foreseeable future.
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

OK - I've had a look, and using PP2000/diagbox it shows a 1.1nm differential on steering torque biased towards the right. So on full lock right its recording 11.1nm torque, full lock on the left is 8.9nm torque and rest is 1.1nm torque to the right. Take that 1.1nm at rest out of the equation and it seems to have a -10-->+10nm range left to right but its starting at +1.1nm so -10nm is being read as -89., and equally so +10nm is also bening inaccurately at +11.1nm. So it looks like the torque sensor needs tweaking, does anyone know if PP2000 can "zero" the torque sensor? Or do I need to drop the rack, which looks like it needs the front sub-frame dropped to get to it, and then open the sensor and see if I have a delicate enough touch to find that sweet zero?

I'd really prefer to do it with a software fix if that makes sense, so I'd be ever so grateful if someone could guide me through the PP2000 procedure for zeroing the sensor and establishing the correct readings at the extremities to calibrate it.