5008 STALLS After Random AirBag / Tensioner Warning

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LoveHate5008
My Cars: 2013/63 Peugeot 5008 7 Seater

5008 STALLS After Random AirBag / Tensioner Warning

Post by LoveHate5008 »

Hey guys,

I took my car to the car-wash and was busy cleaning the front and back with a hoover and wipes etc. When I got in to leave as I approached the traffic lights and slowed to a stop, I suddenly got a "Airbag(s) or pretensioner seat belt(s) faulty" warning on my dash then the car stalled / switched off whilst at the lights the second I came to a stop. (I know I have start/stop but this is not it.)

I then started the engine to what sounded like a light screech that came the gearbox? I proceeded to the next set of lights but as I'm slowing down I get the same message and the vehicle stalls when I come to a full stop.

So I drove to the nearest mechanic with a code reader and they said no codes are showing which is really strange.

When I got home I did some googling and the forum here suggests that maybe I jolted or disconnected one of the seat cables under the front seats but checked and everything is intact.

Any suggestions? Its urgent I sort this out as I use my vehicle for work and had to take the day off today. :(

Thanks!
LoveHate5008

Re: 5008 STALLS After Random AirBag / Tensioner Warning

Post by LoveHate5008 »

Any ideas guys? Cheers.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Generic code readers won't always cut it - many of these can't read more modern ECUs and certainly not the more specific constructor codes.

As you have Stop Start, there are all sorts of conditions that affect the operation of this system - battery charge, temperature, number of Stop / Start cycles over 'X' period of time, journey info, etc. etc. It may be a coincidence with the air bag issue. Have you tried starting the car then disabling the Stop Start system (which can only be done at the start of the engine with ignition - once the engine is stopped it has to be deactivated again). If the car is still stopping with the Stop Start system deactivated, then you really need to get it to a Peugeot Dealer or to a garage with Diagbox software used by Peugeot to get a proper diagnostic on the system.

The airbag cable usually across the passenger floor area under the carpet is commonly known to get disturbed which can cause issues - but I suspect you may have a battery issue.

If the battery has become discharged then it will affect a lot of the electrical systems including the Stop Start - although it should prevent the car from stopping in the event of a poor battery.

If it is on the original battery - it's probably about time to change it now as it is about at the 6 year mark. With all the power consuming equipment on these cars it will be towards end of duty cycle I suspect. I suspect you may have an AGM battery fitted if you have the Stop Start system - pop your VIN up and I can check.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
LoveHate5008

Post by LoveHate5008 »

Hi, thanks is for the speedy reply.

The local dealers are taking the mickey they said next appointment is next week the earliest even for a simple code scan.

Regarding the battery. This is brand new as I had it replaced 2 months ago with a matching capacity and amps so no troubles there. Just checked the voltage and it's all correct.

Can you explain in a little more detail regarding the cabling? I'm guessing this is the fault and really want to solve this asap.

Thanks
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Check the map see if there are any site members with diagbox close to you, they might be able to point you in the right direction
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Again, without your VIN I can't confirm the correct battery type - did you replace it with an AGM battery?

As for the wiring - on Right Hand Drive vehicles the modification from LHD to RHD means the ABS / Pre-tensioner wiring is often trailed over from the passenger side floor. Over time the wiring can be 'dislodged', or worn resulting in intermittent errors. There is no guarantee it is this of course - without getting the vehicle properly diagnosed whilst the error is in play. Is the warning now on permanently or is it intermittent?

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

As it has stop/start it will almost certainly have an AGM battery fitted or an EFB at the very minimum.
Most modern PSA cars now have the original battery spec on the tyre pressure label & it will say if its AGM or not
Attachments
862F8B43-6878-4CEF-8001-31920354D527.jpeg
LoveHate5008

Post by LoveHate5008 »

Hey, i posted a reply yesterday but it seems to have disappeared.

VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

To clarify, yes it was an AGM battery that was replaced.

I took the car too two separate indie mechanics yesterday whom both diagnosed the problem as a failing alternator? I took it to the second place as I thought the first guy had lost his marbles. But TWO mechanics saying the same thing?

I've got it booked in with Peugeot so going to wait and see what the results are. I've messaged two users here who have the the reader nearby so if they respond, then I'll have it diagnosed with them and post back the results.

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so be aware that you need a Reversible Alternator as you have Stop Start system.

Part Number: 5705PA. These will be either a Valeo 180 AMP IST60C028 or IST60C017. You can check which from the old one.
Alternator.PNG
Your battery is an AGM type and a 70AH 760A

Marc
LoveHate5008

Post by LoveHate5008 »

Hey Marc,

well, don't I feel silly. Just got a call from Peugeot saying the SAME thing! :oops:

Turns out the belt is slipping which is causing all the problems (apparently.) He also advised to replace the lower belt pulley (or something or other) but says the alternator is perfectly fine.

£300 total for the repair, which is pretty good considering its a dealer.

Only in a French car can an old belt cause havoc on random electronics in a vehicle.... only in a French car. :rofl2:

Will keep you guys posted. Cheers!