Blimey that was tight!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Blimey that was tight!

Post by moizeau »

Just spent today dismantling bits of a 207 for a friend. Two drop arms and two lower suspension ball joints. Couple of hours on the front garden, job done. Drop arms, covered in crap and seized, that was the easy bit. Lower ball joints..LHS unscrewed with a pipe wrench and a 1m bar! RHS wouldn't because it tried to pull the driveshaft out the gearbox, so I had to put the triangle back on to stop this, then jack the disc to allow me to get the pipe wrench on. It took the 1m extension and my foot against the caliper! I thought of taking the disc off to be able to get to it from the outside, thus pushing the driveshaft into the gearbox, but the was no way the caliper bolts were budging. Another thought was to cut the end off the ball joint and use a compressor and rattle gun, but that would have meant borrowing them. The RHS one also didn't unscrew by hand once loose, full elbow on the pipe wrench until out and the thread looks flat. Cross threaded or a bit of remaining swarf in the factory / garage?
I'd forgotten how awkward McPherson struts are compared to Cits of the hydraulic variety.
Just wondered if anyone else has come across this?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone