407 2.0 HDI engine cuts with ABS/ESP lights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnny_E
My Cars: Current: 2008 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI
Current (breaking): 2006 Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI
French past.. grew up with Citroen GS, GSA, CX, Visa and first learnt how to do gears as a kid, in a 2CV!

407 2.0 HDI engine cuts with ABS/ESP lights

Post by Johnny_E »

I'd appreciate it if you guys could cast your eye over my fault logs below. I'd thought initially that the BSI is playing up but I'm not so sure.

Car: 2008 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI 136, 117k miles

Summary of problem: Random shutdown of engine (mostly when at idle or in slow moving traffic) and various dash faults (ABS/ESP/DPF). A restart of the car, its all ok again.

EXAMPLE 1: May 2018

Driving at full temp in heavy traffic, 1st gear stop start driving. I thought the car had stalled but after ABS/ESP/DPF lights cycled on the dash, the engine seemed to lose comms with the BSI. Engine sat fixed at ~1800rpm with no throttle response at all. Turning off ignition and removing the key, engine still ran on at a fixed 1800rpm or so and I had to put the car in gear and stall it. Restarted with NO problems for many months. Did a BSI reset as a precaution.

Fault code scan using PSA Diagbox showed:
F015 BSI: Fault: No communication with engine ECU. Not characterised local.

Amongst other codes, I got F9A0: BSI: Fault code unknown.

EXAMPLE 2: Sept 2018

In traffic, car warming up, only done 0.7km. Sat at lights in neutral and engine shuts down. ABS/ESP lights on dash. Restart is fine, no problem since. Got some clean fault codes on this one (as i get to grips with diagbox!)

BSI: F5FF: Unexpected re-initialisation fault coming from the BSI
Engine ECU then logged P0215: Injection supply unit relay circuit (1 stage)
ABS U1308 Fault in communication with the engine management ECU or with the drivetrain interface ECU

Here's the fault journal for this one:

Engine ECU codes - reporting "cut or stalled"

So, really, just these 2 incidents. There was one other occasion, sat with the engine running outside school and it just cut. Asides from these 3 random stutters over the year, the car drives perfectly. On the move, no issues at all.

I had hoped that the BSI being at the centre of all things, was at fault - but nothing in life is that simple is it?! I'd appreciate any thoughts or direction. I did a BSI reset between the May incident and Sept cut out. The car drives perfectly well on a day to day basis and on restarting, behaves itself EVERY time.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: 407 2.0 HDI engine cuts with ABS/ESP lights

Post by MikeT »

At this point, without further diagnosis I would be inclined to check Injection ECU, BSM and BSI connections for corrosion**. Even if nothing untoward is disclosed, it would be prudent to give them all a good spray of contact cleaner before refitting.

**Observe battery disconnect procedures.
Last edited by MikeT on 28 Sep 2018, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Please (if you ARE going to clean the connectors) only use a proper contact cleaner. Things such as WD40 are a water dispersant, and (while they will drive away any water) will not clean the contacts. When I have used the proper contact cleaner I also use a toothbrush to help move any corrosion/tarnish (assuming I can get to the contacts). If you cannot actively clean the contacts with a brush I would plug/unplug the connectors a few times (so the action of this will help move any remaining dirt).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Johnny_E
My Cars: Current: 2008 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI
Current (breaking): 2006 Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI
French past.. grew up with Citroen GS, GSA, CX, Visa and first learnt how to do gears as a kid, in a 2CV!

Post by Johnny_E »

I have proper contact cleaner ok - so will start there - giving all the connectors a clean and see how that goes.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Good luck, that's a pretty disconcerting thing to happen.