Finally got a 407 coupe, but....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madmaxgav

Re: Finally got a 407 coupe, but....

Post by madmaxgav »

That's actually a damn good way of doing it. And I'm pretty sure I've got a spare old pay and go sim I could stick in the car and use the method you said about.
So that's calls sorted :)

I was reading up last night about the whole audio situation, someone on a page I was reading mentioned a jukebox function via an onboard hard drive? Could this be an option?

On a side note, just got it back from being terracleaned, much better, guess the guy who used to own it just ran it on cheap fuel and never let it stretch its legs properly lol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - avoid cheap supermarket fuels they really are crap.

Yes the RT4 has a hard drive built in with a 30Gb partition dedicated for music. You can actually rip CDs directly to the unit and it will store them on the drive. Do you actually have the manual for the RT4? If not I have one in PDF - just shout if you want it sent over.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, bad news on the heating issue I think Gav. It was a known fault on the C5 and the 407 that the mixing flap control rods were too weak and tended to snap off. They did issue a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this back in 2009. If it is the control rods that have snapped off, then it's the dashboard off and disassembly of the heater block to get to them for a repair......
Gav mixer rod B.PNG
Gav mixer rod.PNG
The replacement of the strengthened parts and all the labour was about 5.7 hours :shock:

Perhaps it's time to get out the thermal budgie smugglers or the air conditioned undies - depending on where it's stuck at!

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

So we mean see if I can somehow get to them and plastic weld them? Lol maybe that borescope I got cheap may come in useful after all. Needs to be done though, I'm practically baking while driving.
Thanks for the info Marc, I know what I'm looking for, even if I can manually turn them a bit to cool it down in the cabin

On the hard drive. I think I've just figured it out, I held the source button and it asked me if I wanted to copy the cd... It's currently on track 5 of 11 after 10 mins. Can I edit what albums are called and delete tracks etc?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yep, you can edit the files - however it is infinitely better to do this on a PC first because of the keyboard, rather than do this on the RT4!

Personally, I would rip all your CDs to MP3 on your PC, then do any track editing / renaming and then create folders for albums or artist and stick the tracks in as you want.
Then if you haven't done the USB upgrade as yet, you can just burn the folders to an MP3 CD (you can get a huge number on a single CD). Use a re-writeable MP3 CD and some PC software to burn them, then you can copy them from the CD to the Jukebox using the menu, then repeat with the next load.....

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I would strongly agree with Marc, editing the titles of the tracks on the RT4 would probably be classified as torture under the Geneva convention so I'd probably just fit the USB cable and be done with it :rofl2:
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

What do we think to this? Canbus too apparently
Attachments
20180911_191405.jpg
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Just to add yet another spanner in the works.....
Just been out, started it, and it quickly pinged up on the sat nav display "entering economy mode" ?
407iain

Post by 407iain »

Low battery voltage.

Hopefully. Although having owned 2 407s you never know :p
2011 RCZ THP 200 GT
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Not the first time I've seen it either. It's done it a few times since I got it but this is the first time I've caught it to properly read it. Plus it's got a battery from a bmw on it I noticed while I was replacing all the bulbs for canbus leds
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Basically the Yatour will make use of the CD Changer connection at the back of the Head unit. All it does it mimic the CD Changer and will allow you to create 6 folders max. You then put your MP3 tracks into the folders and it plays them like a CD. You won’t get any Album or Artist listings.

The Bluetooth will play calls from a mobile via the Yatour device and then into the car speakers, but will of course need its microphone to be connected.

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

So it's a sack of crap. I'll stick with your idea of call divert lol

Daft question. Wondering it this eco mode and it having a Beemer battery on it, makes me think if they did that BSI reset? Seen it mentioned but not fully sure of implications of it not being reset properly
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yeah it’s very important to follow the battery disconnection and connection procedure. If you don’t, when you disconnect the battery, you can leave some of the ECUs in an inoperative state. This can lead to lots of electrical problems. Think of the car as a computer network. Data travels through various networks to the multiple ECUs on the vehicle, which are controlled by the BSI. Pulling the juice without allowing them to write their data can cause lots of issues.

The economy mode function is designed to save power. They will either be a battery status charge unit that handles this or the BS I directly. You are supposed to get a maximum 30 minutes before economy mode kicks in. However this can be shortened if the battery is in a low charge state.

In order to reset the economy mode you normally get double the time you have driven the car since the last economy mode kickd in up to the maximum 30 minutes.

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

I'd like to say I fully understood what you just said, but I didn't fully.
Last time I changed a battery, on my 307, every time and still now when I start it, there's a boing sound, the headlights flash on for a second, and usually it tells me I've got the handbrake on :lol: :lol:
So safe to say, the 407 will be having a new battery... And I'll balls it up on the reset.
If it hasn't been reset before properly, could this cause the heating issue I have and this economy mode?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so in a nutshell, your car has a central computer (the BSI), plus there are Electronic Control Units (ECUs) dotted throughout the car, that operate the windows, the mirrors, the lights, doors, engine management, tyre sensors, lane departure, external lamps, alarm, cruise, etc., etc.

In order to reduce wiring and provide system redundancy, the BSI communicates with these ECUs over multiplexed data networks. It allows the BSI to command various functions to work and for the various sensors to send data to other ECUs needed to run the car. The signals are coded in Binary so each ECU on the network knows who the message is meant for. Some computer networks are faster than others, for example the safety critical systems, whereas others may be slower or have less priority, like the comfort systems. There can typically be 4 data networks on the car all sending and receiving packets of data.

Normally, when you switch the engine off after a run, the BSI and certain other ECUs carry on operating until they have written their data into flash memory. After some time they go into sleep mode and shut down, but the BSI and several other circuits are always active - for example waiting for a remote central unlocking request, or to open the tailgate remotely. So imagine if you just went ahead and disconnected the battery all of a sudden without allowing the ECUs to finish shutting down...... this potentially can cause the ECU to get stuck or not start up again properly. This can result in some electrical glitches that can affect the lights, wipers, windows and other components for example.

So when we talk about a BSI reset, or Battery Disconnect / Connect procedure, we simply allowing all ECUs to go to sleep, remove power and allow power to dissipate, then reconnect and allow the ECUs to properly boot up. That’s why it’s important not to open any doors during the procedure, otherwise it will wake up the ECU and the whole excercise becomes pointless.

Here’s the BSI reset / Battery disconnection / connection procedure for reference if you’re still awake :-D
  • Open bonnet and Driver side window.
  • Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition
  • Wait for 5 minutes, then disconnect the vehicle battery negative and wait at least 5 minutes. Don't open any doors or press any buttons.
  • Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 3 minutes (do not open doors).
  • Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
  • Switch on the ignition only, don’t start vehicle yet and check system's functionality.
  • With key still in ignition hold lock button on key down for 5 seconds.
  • Remove key through window, then operate Central locking several times.
  • Now open door and start the engine and complete the system's check.
  • Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many BSI related items.

Marc