Boost Error advice needed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Digital-man
My Cars: Peugeot 307cc

Boost Error advice needed

Post by Digital-man »

Peugeot 307cc (136BHP) 2.0 HDI Diesel 08 Reg

I have a Whistling sound when Accelerating and an ECU Boost error. I’ve checked the engine bay for air leaks but unable to find any. I have a few questions that would be helpful in finding the fault.

I read that the whistling sound could be a faulty EGR Valve which is jammed closed. Is this plausible? I have disconnected the EGR wiring and noticed there was no ECU error after doing so. Is this normal?

Is it easy to Tilt the engine forward by loosening the 4 Engine mount Torx bolts and using a Jack under the Sump? Will I be able to access to the Turbo/pipes from the top of the engine bay if I do this? Do I need to remove any other parts before Tilting the engine?

Any advice greatly appreciated
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Boost Error advice needed

Post by EDC5 »

I get the same whistling sound on my car with the same engine, wouldn’t say it's the cause of a fault per se. If you trace the complete air route from turbo to inlet manifold there are a few places where it could leak, I assume you’ve checked for any split hoses etc. The other option could be the vacuum solenoid that controls the turbo, if this has failed then the turbo will not be able to adjust to the ECU's settings.

I think the best option would be to view the live data from the turbo (turbo position reference, turbo position repeat and the pressures) using a lexia tool to see what is happening.

On my C5 I can't for the life of me see the turbo, it appears to be well hidden at the back of the engine unfortunately.
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Thanks for the quick reply...
I have checked the common areas for leaks - 3 way plastic connector joints and Boost control module replaced.
I will check Turbo Live data to see what values are shown.
Regarding my original Tilting the engine forward do you know if this is feasible to gain access to the Turbo? Any views on the EGR query?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

If you go for a drive whilst recording the live data you can review it later, that way you can see if the turbo readings are reflecting the 'reference' values held on the ECU map (providing the sensors are working)

A stuck shut EGR will give you nothing but better performance :lol: , truth be told. I'm pretty sure you should get an error code for a disconnected EGR valve though, otherwise nobody would go to the trouble of blanking them off if they could just unplug it.

I suppose a stuck open EGR would give you boost issues so it still might be worth looking into.

On this engine the EGR actuation and the Variable turbo are vacuum controlled, so any splits in the small vacuum pipes or faults with the vacuum solenoids can also cause issues.
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Thanks again...There are a lot of checks i still need to do. I will update accordingly when done.
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Update...

After further checks I think the Whistling sound maybe coming from the EGR/EGR cooler location. I have replaced the EGR Gasket just in case but still hear same whistling sound around EGR/EGR cooler location.

I have also done a Live data reading and have a few questions regarding the results as I’m a bit confused about a few values.

EGR Value position repeat: = 0%
EGR regulation status: = no EGR
Is the above normal or is the EGR valve faulty and could this cause the whistling if it is jammed?
Turbocharging pressure regulation status: = Not regulated
Is this a fault or is this normal, as all other Turbo parameters seem ok. I have also done a Turbo Solenoid test and that passes ok.
Live1.JPG
live2.JPG
live3.JPG
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Digital-man wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:47 Update...

After further checks I think the Whistling sound maybe coming from the EGR/EGR cooler location. I have replaced the EGR Gasket just in case but still hear same whistling sound around EGR/EGR cooler location.

I have also done a Live data reading and have a few questions regarding the results as I’m a bit confused about a few values.

EGR Value position repeat: = 0%
EGR regulation status: = no EGR
Is the above normal or is the EGR valve faulty and could this cause the whistling if it is jammed?
Turbocharging pressure regulation status: = Not regulated
Is this a fault or is this normal, as all other Turbo parameters seem ok. I have also done a Turbo Solenoid test and that passes ok.

Live1.JPG
live2.JPG
live3.JPG

I'm assuming this is at idle. EGR isn't always used at idle, if you go for a drive whith some wide throttle openings then review the graphs in lexia to see if there is anything amiss.

On my engine when opening the throttle widely the EGR should drop to zero, both on the 'reference' and the 'EGR value position repeat' If this isn't happening then it may be stuck.

However without any EGR fault codes I assume it's working ok.

In addition, 'Turbo pressure regulation status' wont kick in until the engine is under load as you can't build any boost up at idle, therefore a recording of the parameters whilst driving would be more useful.
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Thanks again for reply

Dumb question...What is the best way to record PP2000 live data while driving? I tried using the option to record in PP2000 but when I tried to read the data it just flashes garbage on the screen and unable to see the data.
Also assuming EGR and Turbo are ok what do you think the whistle might be?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wonder if someone has programmed the EGR out....

See it says the air flow is 482, whereas the reference is 271? The air flow should match the reference value, with the EGR valve open at idle.

I think if you go to Custom parameter measurements (or some such, can't recall exactly what it's called) then you can select which to monitor and it should produce some graphs. You should use Diagbbox not PP2000 fora car of this age...

Take it and boot it, and see what the turbo pressure is doing. If necessary, take a passenger to monitor the data (or drive, so you can!).
Richard W
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Hi Thanks for reply

I've had the car for 3 years and not had a problem with the EGR apart from the Gasket. Just wondering if there is still an EGR Gasket/leak issue why the air flow is so high.
I will need to uninstall PP2000 and install Diagbox which will take sometime.
Digital-man

Post by Digital-man »

Just an update on this issue...

Turns out the issue was a faulty Turbo and has now been replaced. All ECU errors gone and car runs like new and super fast.

Many Thanks to everyone.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Digital-man wrote: 18 May 2018, 09:49 Just an update on this issue...

Turns out the issue was a faulty Turbo and has now been replaced. All ECU errors gone and car runs like new and super fast.

Many Thanks to everyone.

That's good to hear :-D
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Digital-man wrote: 18 May 2018, 09:49 Just an update on this issue...

Many Thanks to everyone.

I have the same issue. Can you tell more what was the problem with the turbo?

Is it okay to drive till it blows, because other than the mild whistle i dont have any other problem.
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Do you have any loss of performance or just the whistling from the turbo?
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

EDC5 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 22:41 Do you have any loss of performance or just the whistling from the turbo?

It has been whistling for the past one year. But yesterday there was a quite a loss of power. On checking with a lexia, the turbo vanes were stuck at 11%.

I checked the turbo vacuum hose by connecting it to a large syringe to manually create vacuum. The Vanes operate till 100% but only when a large vacuum is applied, much more than what the vacuum pipe source can provide.

Can i conclude it is sticking vanes?

Just contemplating the options, turbo cleaners in fuel are the easiest, then there is the option of EGR removal and putting in oven cleaners. If nothing works will need to get the turbo removed.

Any experiences? Suggestions?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh