406 HDi RHZ Gear select problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Farmcit
My Cars: Learnt to drive in an R12

406 HDi RHZ Gear select problems

Post by Farmcit »

Our 406 HDi RHZ (220k km) has gear select problems. It locked itself into 3rd gear and with a lot of coaxing would select neutral to enable towing the short distance to the workshop but nothing else. (I can never be angry with a car that breaks down very close to home and keeps the inconvenience to a minimum!)

I have inspected both ends of the cables and find they are good with no slipping, disengagement or anything untoward.
I have removed the cables from the gearbox and tried to select gears with the gearbox levers but it is just jammed up and I can make no sense of it.
I have removed the gearbox (difficult) and partly stripped it to find nothing really wrong, broken or odd. The selector mechanism appears good, the roll pins are in the forks/shafts. There is nothing that appears bent or broken. The only possible problem I can see is some wear on two of the selector forks but this is not severe.
There is a fair amount of black oil residue on the gear cases, more than normal, but the magnet has no chunks or filings on it.
There is no record of the gearbox oil being changed and it was honey coloured when it came out.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the selection problem and what to do from here?

What is the trick to replacing the gearbox housing wrt the selector indent balls?

Thanks

Farmcit
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 406 HDi RHZ Gear select problems

Post by xantia_v6 »

When the transmission was stuck in 3rd gear, was the gear lever sloppy or firm?
Farmcit

Post by Farmcit »

Never sloppy. You could feel resistance but it was NOT like a cable connection had come loose or something.
Also when the cables were removed from the gearbox the levers were very tight & I was unable to select gears by moving the levers directly either.
It felt like it was jammed up inside the gearbox but as I have mentioned I cannot find anything odd inside.

Farmcit
Farmcit

Post by Farmcit »

Comments/previous experience anybody?