107 won't start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: 107 won't start

Post by Zelandeth »

I'd be surprised if it had taken the ECU out...as far as the electronics are concerned the engine will just have stopped very suddenly.

One thing that might have been taken out would have been a coil pack if the piston had been smacked into the plug...not sure how resilient the ones used in the 107 are. Some will die at the drop of a hat, others you can do all manner of horrible things to (I've used them as convenient sources of high voltages on the bench) and they just keep going.

I'd say the best thing he can do is disconnect and reconnect every bit of the engine loom. I've had troubles with bent pins in some of the high density connectors they like using for ECUs before, so make sure it's not something daft like that.

I'd not be risking your ECU...should be easy enough to find one from a breaker I'd say...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I did think about the coil packs, the engine came with them on and plugs in and they just used them. I have said to him to take the coil packs off, replace the p.ugs and put on his original coil packs. Ecu and bsi and key sets readily available on EBay. I think I shouldn't really try my ecu, that may just end up with two non running 107s. He has the battery out of mine as his battery was down, but it's charged up again on my car, bit that's not going to cause a problem apart from mine has a recent new battery, his dates from 2012! I shall have my own back.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 02:54 I think I shouldn't really try my ecu, that may just end up with two non running 107s.

Yes, don't!!! Fingers may end up very burned...

Last time I did a full transplant in a relatively modern car (a Fraud) I transferred everything electrical and related to fuel and ignition from the old engine to the replacement...

Goodness only knows what's interlocked and tied to each other on a 107...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Agreed.
His car was working until he killed it.
Transplant 101 is to reuse all his own electrickery. Just transplant mechanical stuff that's failed, in this case the engine.
Every single place where wiring attaches should come from the old engine.
The ecu is happy with all the sensors it has been talking to and the coils and injectors it has been triggering, so use them.
Even if all the "new" ones are good, they will not be calibrated the same as the old ones, so the ecu will have to learn about them all and the different characteristics of the new engine, meaning it will run like a bucket of nails for a while.
At least the "old" sensors, injectors, etc will be as expected by the ecu, so the adjustments it makes will be based on correct information
While going through the rigmarole of swapping everything over, you can double check the connections are all plugged into what they should be and all the pins are straight and clean.
There's definitely a problem if the dash doesn't light up properly, so I suspect you'll find a misplaced or damaged connector, if you go through it methodically.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD